Dransfields on the high seas

09 November 2010
03 November 2010 | Somewhere off Port Stephens
26 October 2010 | Brisbane River
01 October 2010
20 September 2010 | Bundaberg QLD
07 September 2010 | Noumea, New Caledonia
26 August 2010
11 August 2010 | Musket Cove Fiji
26 July 2010 | Fiji
17 July 2010 | Tonga
15 July 2010 | Vava'u, Tonga
30 June 2010
21 June 2010 | On passage to Tonga
25 May 2010 | Tahiti,
20 May 2010 | The Tuamotu Islands
07 May 2010 | Nuka Hiva, French Polynesia
26 April 2010 | En route to the Marquesas
19 April 2010 | The Pacific Ocean
16 April 2010 | The Pacific Ocean
05 April 2010 | Galapagos

Skipper JD waxing lyrical

27 October 2009 | Gibraltar to Canary Islands
Skipper JD
We've just spent almost 2 weeks in Gibraltar doing various boat repairs including the installation of a new radar cable, VHF, inverter and new AGM batteries. It's always a bit frustrating waiting for parts to arrive from the UK and for workers to arrive, but that's par for the course with boats. Fortunately there are lots of things to see and do in Gibraltar and the kids loved going to the local ice-skating rink almost every day! We took the opportunity to fully load the boat up with provisions and cheap gin too...

We departed Gibraltar mid afternoon last Friday with a rough plan to put into Rabat and Casablanca, Morocco on the 2nd and 3rd nights before the final passage to Lanzarote, the northernmost island of the Canary Islands. As the wind gods were smiling on us, we've bypassed Morocco and have just arrived in La Graciosa a small island off Lanzarote - 590 nm in 4 days at an average 6.2 knots, mostly sailing and some with the iron topsail (motor for the landlubbers).

We've found that Nika slips along really quickly in light downwind conditions. With the gennaker up, I am pleased to say we're getting 6 k nots speed in 6 knots of wind and 8 - 10 knots speed in 12 knots of wind. Sorry for being technical but my sailing friends will definitely understand the implications of being able to travel quickly in light downwind breezes as that is what we'll mostly get on this journey.

The last couple of nights have been spectacular starry nights (black as the ace of spades once the moon goes) with steady 8 knots of breeze allowing us to sail comfortably under full main and poled-out jib. With the phosphorescence in the water we can spot pairs of dolphins speeding towards us from more than 20m away in the dark. There have been loads of shooting stars too. This has been an excellent passage for us and it is true when 'old salts' tell you that longer passages are easier in many ways than day sailing or overnighters as you really get into the swing of life at sea.

The kids are in great form. Bosun boy Jesse is reading at a rate of knots and has managed to finish all the new books of the Chronicles of Narnia purchased in Gibraltar. Poor Hels had hoped they would last him longer than 3 days! Zodiac Zoe having run out of her Roald Dahl is madly reading Jesse's Treausure Island.. Captain Tykes is still showing a distinct lack of interest in anything school related but is turning into a consummate boat boy who can spot any rope, fitting etc which is not "shipshape". He has "saved the day" noticing a lose pin on the anchor more than once already much to our amazement!

We're expecting to catch up with our good friends Cath and Julien and their three beautiful daughters this weekend in Lanzarote. They're flying down from London for a 3-day weekend just to see us! We can't wait to see them.

We'll be in Las Palmas by the 9th of November where we'll complete final preparations for the ARC which starts 22nd November. Helen has organised a petrol generator to be shipped out from the UK to arrive in Las Palmas as our back-up power supply (thanks for your advice Rod and Uwe).

All of us can't wait for cousin Dean to arrive on the 19th as our final crew member for the ARC. Dean is arriving on Jesse's 9th birthday so I'm sure there will be a party that night. I hear that Dean will be wearing his brand new Dubarry sailing boots and wet weather gear in First Class on the flight over...

The kids and Helen continue to impress, and to borrow an expression from a fellow cruising family, they are in distgustingly good health and loving it. Grandad Pete is an awesome guiding influence whom I can't imagine being without. We miss all our lovely friends and family back home and wish you all the best.

This is NIKA NIKA NIKA Over and Out.
Comments
Vessel Name: Nika
Vessel Make/Model: Bavaria 46 Cruiser
Hailing Port: Sydney
Crew: Skipper JD, Bosun Boy Jesse, Zodiac Zoe, Captain Tykes, First Mate Hels
About: Hail from Curl Curl on Sydney's beautiful Northern Beaches. Love of adventure, and the good life!
Extra: Saturday 6 November 2010 - we arrive back in Sydney at Middle Harbour Y.C. at 1:00 - the end of the voyage...

Nika Profile

Who: Skipper JD, Bosun Boy Jesse, Zodiac Zoe, Captain Tykes, First Mate Hels
Port: Sydney