Nika cruising with the McIntyres

Fiji – Passage to the Lau Group and an emergency transfer to Suva

17 June 2015
Linda and Rose
This entry in the blog is based mainly on Rose and my experiences and I can write about it now that she is well again.
Our sail from Tonga to Fiji we were blessed with the wind from behind and relatively calm seas. With 280miles to cover it was going to be a 2 night passage, and the first with just us, the family. Craig and I took turns with watches 2 hours on / 2 hours off throughout the night. It was an uneventful sail for us with Olivia a bit seas sick, and we arrived in Fiji (Vanua Balavu) at 10am to join up with the rest of the fleet who were ahead of us.
As planned, the customs and immigration officials were flown from Suva to enable clearance in the Lau Group, which is where all of the cool stuff begins. Vanau Balavu lies on the eastern side, about 180 miles from Suva and 'mainland' Fiji. After visits onboard from the various officials, we were all cleared in and passports stamped by early in the afternoon. This is where things went pear shaped in a major way...
We will have two different experiences of our start to the Fiji adventure as Rose and I had to leave Craig, Grace and Olivia and take an unexpected trip to Suva. As such I did not get to experience the beauty of the Lau Group.
It all began with Rose not being her usual bubbly self once we arrived. She generally has a strong stomach for travelling at sea but had vomited a few times, and ended up sleeping for a better part of the day as we landed in Fiji. Around 5pm she began complaining of a sore tummy and was running a bit of a temperature. I thought it was just a virus however as a precaution we went to see the local doctor who took a scan and suspected that she had appendicitis. They kept Rose (and myself) overnight in the island hospital for observation. Her condition started deteriorating and at that time we felt about as far away from help something that we would not wish on anyone. As the morning went on, and the doctor made the call and an emergency evacuation was called.
Rose and I were sent off on a chartered flight to Suva. We travelled for an hour on a little 8 seat plane accompanied by the doctor who came from Suva to monitor Rose's condition. Upon landing we were met on the runway by the ambulance and police escort to transport us straight to the hospital where the surgeon saw Rose and confirmed as suspected that it was her appendix. Little Rose was prepared for surgery that very night. She looked so tiny on the surgical table, and I might add here throughout all of this Rose has been such a brave and strong little girl. I am so very proud of her. She had her appendix removed at midnight and her appendix had ruptured. Luckily the infection was isolated to the area surrounding her appendix and had not spread throughout her abdominal cavity. We were so lucky her appendix was removed at this time. It could have gone very very bad if left another day. We were returned to the ward in the early hours (I think around 3am) where she rested and I spend the next 2hrs curled up on the floor beside her with my bag for a pillow and a vest for a blanket. It was a very long and exhausting night.
Throughout all of this, Sonia managed to track me down in the hospital in Suva and was my support in Australia, keeping the family up to date with how Rose was going which was so amazing.
We have had 6 days in the hospital here in Suva with Rose on intravenous antibiotics. This is a little longer than they would normally keep patients with appendicitis but as her appendix had ruptured they wanted to closely monitor and give the antibiotics for an extra couple of days. I have to say we have had the best possible care. We planned to move across to the private hospital after the surgery, however the private does not have the specialist care for children, so it was the public CWM Hospital with the local Fijians where we have stayed. We were in the children's ward where there are nurses and doctors on staff at all times. I have been overwhelmed by the help and support I have received from complete strangers (both staff and other parents / carers). All parents staying with their children in the hospital have been so helpful and caring to both myself and Rose, providing me with food, and a little local assistance. I also had support from the Australian Consulate who provided us with fresh fruit, pillows and blankets for my stay with Rose in the hospital.
Fijians would have to be the friendliest and caring people on earth.
Craig, Grace and Olivia spent a lovely couple of days with the rally in the Lau group once they knew Rose and I were well cared for. The Lau Group is a beautiful part of Fiji and a wonderful introduction to what we can expect in the Fiji islands. They sailed through the Bay of Islands and enjoyed a Fijian feast run by a local village for the Rally.
The ICA group have also been amazing in supporting Craig and the girls while I stayed with Rose. He has been spoilt with food, water and kindness from the fleet. Craig had some assistance with additional crew Eli, Dean and Graham to help with sailing Nika to Suva so Craig would be with us. We are now parked in the marina at the Royal Suva Yacht Club with access to power, water and all the facilities we could possibly need.
Rose has now been discharged from hospital and is recovering well. She understandably still very tender and we will be taking it pretty easy for the next 7 days until she has her review with the doctor and has her stiches out next Wednesday.
While here in Suva we plan to get a bit of maintenance done on the boat, stock up on provisions and catch up on some washing. Hopefully we will do a bit of sight-seeing too.
We will join up again with the Rally late next week in Savusavu to pick up and continue where we left off.
Comments
Vessel Name: Nika
Vessel Make/Model: Bavaria 46
Hailing Port: Hastings, Victoria
Crew: Craig, Linda, Grace, Olivia & Rose
About: We are a family off on the adventure of a lifetime, cruising NZ and South Pacific
Social:
Nika's Photos - Main
40 Photos
Created 18 December 2015
16 Photos
Created 30 November 2015
64 Photos
Created 20 November 2015
38 Photos
Created 3 November 2015
School photos of the girls on Nika
5 Photos
Created 20 October 2015
27 Photos
Created 20 October 2015
58 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
56 Photos
Created 24 September 2015
13 Photos
Created 14 August 2015
55 Photos
Created 2 August 2015
18 Photos
Created 23 July 2015
48 Photos
Created 19 July 2015
16 Photos
Created 26 June 2015
6 Photos
Created 17 June 2015
24 Photos
Created 5 June 2015
The Ha'apai group of islands - Tonga
37 Photos
Created 24 May 2015
27 Photos
Created 13 May 2015
5 Photos
Created 1 May 2015
No Photos
Created 19 April 2015
South Island road trip to Fox and Frans Joseph Glaciers, Picton and Marlborough Sounds
34 Photos
Created 19 April 2015
Our Easter - Cruising style
25 Photos
Created 9 April 2015
42 Photos
Created 24 March 2015
Sight seeing in Auckland and the Volvo Yacht Race festivities
31 Photos
Created 16 March 2015
With Nika safely parked in a Marina, the crew take an opportunity to head off on a road trip to the central north island
41 Photos
Created 11 March 2015
Paradise bay, Otehei Bay, Army Bay, Roberton Island, Opunga Cove
32 Photos
Created 24 February 2015
Our first day as a family in Opua and Paihia in the stunning Bay of Islands. A day spent on a walk from Paihia to Opua (6km) this included a 'short cut' at low tide.
18 Photos
Created 18 February 2015
Airport farewells
6 Photos
Created 18 February 2015
Our time staying with Sonia in Glen Iris, and spending time with special friends
31 Photos
Created 10 February 2015
Our passage from Port Welshpool to Lakes Entrance and our week in the Gipsland Lakes
28 Photos
Created 4 February 2015
12 Photos
Created 23 January 2015
9 Photos
Created 30 December 2014