Nika cruising with the McIntyres

Suva Fiji

26 June 2015
First Mate Linda
We had about 2 weeks in Suva, and while it was not a planned visit, the main purpose of our stay was the see Rose get well again. The medical staff at CWM Hospital were amazing and took very good care of Rose during her stay, and I have been overwhelmed with the caring nature of the local Fijians who are just gorgeous and so kind. As we had no family in Fiji, I had fresh fruit, bread, home cooked meals all brought in for me (thank you to my new friend Radhika). The Australian Consulate really stepped up and also provided me with bedding, and more fresh fruit to make my stay in hospital with Rose more comfortable.
Rose was discharged from hospital a little under a week after arriving, and we had a follow up appointment with the doctor one week later. She was still on liquid antibiotics and this was a challenge getting her to take her medicine. We had tantrums, spitting the medicine everywhere, and no bribes or threats would convince her to take it. Eventually she saw the light and realized she needed this medicine to get better and just started to take it. She developed a little infection post-surgery which they say is common with a burst appendix, so we visited the hospital every day do have her surgical wound cleaned and re-dressed.
We had a pretty easy week and took the opportunity to get some maintenance done on Nika and to do a little sightseeing.
I must say I am quite impressed with Suva. It is quite a large city and is the main business section of Fiji with about 300k people living here. It is much cooler than the islands and it sure rains a lot (every day!)
The Yacht Club has the cheapest beer in Fiji (Fiji Bitter - fj$2.30 for a pot), which is cheaper than a cappuccino. It is right across the road from the Prison / Correctional Facility, where they had a little store selling fresh bread, coffee, cakes and meals all exceptionally cheap. They even had a barber!. Craig was going to get a haircut but we ended up running out of time. It would have made for a good story!!.
We met some lovely people at the yacht club - Kirsty & Steve, with Peter and Sarah who the girls spend hours with playing snooker, and had some much needed work done on Nika, which included getting our anchor windless repaired, fixing some electronics, repairing our cockpit cushions and arranging part for our water maker.
We hired a car for 2 days and took a drive to Pacific Harbor where they have a great resort / beach, and spend a day at Cole a Suva Forest Park for a walk and swimming in the natural swimming pools with Tarzan ropes for swinging. While here we met a group of yr 10 students from Parkdale Secondary College who were on a 3 week ‘world challenge’ trip working with schools and villages in Fiji.
In Suva we took in the Museum, had loads of Gloria Jeans Coffee, and did some shopping (we discovered the best chocolate biscuits which are just like TimTams called Tymo – so yummy). We shopped the local handicraft and produce markets, and went to the Village Cinema.
Rose saw the doctor for her review and he is pleased with how she is healing, so it was time to say goodbye and thank you to Suva and set off and re-join the ICA rally in Savusavu on the island of Vanua-Levu. We had an overnight sail and arrived at 8am to a marina berth arranged by the ICA and hugs and cheers for Rose. It is great to be back with the fleet and enjoying the support, social drinks and conversations.
I am so thankful that everything has turned out well. Rose is such a strong and brave little girl and I am so proud of her. I think we have had our fair share of drama for this trip and hopefully we will have smooth sailing from here on in.
Comments
Vessel Name: Nika
Vessel Make/Model: Bavaria 46
Hailing Port: Hastings, Victoria
Crew: Craig, Linda, Grace, Olivia & Rose
About: We are a family off on the adventure of a lifetime, cruising NZ and South Pacific
Social:
Nika's Photos - Main
40 Photos
Created 18 December 2015
16 Photos
Created 30 November 2015
64 Photos
Created 20 November 2015
38 Photos
Created 3 November 2015
School photos of the girls on Nika
5 Photos
Created 20 October 2015
27 Photos
Created 20 October 2015
58 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
56 Photos
Created 24 September 2015
13 Photos
Created 14 August 2015
55 Photos
Created 2 August 2015
18 Photos
Created 23 July 2015
48 Photos
Created 19 July 2015
16 Photos
Created 26 June 2015
6 Photos
Created 17 June 2015
24 Photos
Created 5 June 2015
The Ha'apai group of islands - Tonga
37 Photos
Created 24 May 2015
27 Photos
Created 13 May 2015
5 Photos
Created 1 May 2015
No Photos
Created 19 April 2015
South Island road trip to Fox and Frans Joseph Glaciers, Picton and Marlborough Sounds
34 Photos
Created 19 April 2015
Our Easter - Cruising style
25 Photos
Created 9 April 2015
42 Photos
Created 24 March 2015
Sight seeing in Auckland and the Volvo Yacht Race festivities
31 Photos
Created 16 March 2015
With Nika safely parked in a Marina, the crew take an opportunity to head off on a road trip to the central north island
41 Photos
Created 11 March 2015
Paradise bay, Otehei Bay, Army Bay, Roberton Island, Opunga Cove
32 Photos
Created 24 February 2015
Our first day as a family in Opua and Paihia in the stunning Bay of Islands. A day spent on a walk from Paihia to Opua (6km) this included a 'short cut' at low tide.
18 Photos
Created 18 February 2015
Airport farewells
6 Photos
Created 18 February 2015
Our time staying with Sonia in Glen Iris, and spending time with special friends
31 Photos
Created 10 February 2015
Our passage from Port Welshpool to Lakes Entrance and our week in the Gipsland Lakes
28 Photos
Created 4 February 2015
12 Photos
Created 23 January 2015
9 Photos
Created 30 December 2014