Nika cruising with the McIntyres

Fiji Vanua Levu (Savusavu), Makongai and Volivoli

07 July 2015
First Mate Linda
It has been great rejoining the rally again and we are really enjoying the company and fun once again. We felt the love and concern all had for Rose as we arrived in Savusavu with all waiting on the dock to assist and with hugs all around. Everyone has shown genuine concern and happiness that we are back with the group and that all has worked out well for us. Yet another reason why cruising in company is such a great idea. With the broken windlass, the watermaker issues and Rose’s surgery, I think we have had our fair share of dramas for this trip and we are hoping for smooth sailing for the rest of our time away.
We have had a lovely time in Savusavu, which is one of the larger towns on the island of Vanua Levu (the second largest island in Fiji). The Copra Shed marina was a great meeting place for a drink or two and Savusavu had some really cheap eats and a chance to stock up on the provisions. We collected the bulk of the girls schoolwork (I think the girls were secretly hoping it would get lost on the way!!),and with one more parcel to come along with some parts for our watermaker which Windflower will collect for us. I stocked up on grog (kava for our offering to the villages) and some dvd’s of the Big Bang Theory for watching on passages.
While in Savusavu we had some fun with the local Yacht club. The ‘Youth Sailing’ at the Savusavu Yacht Club challenged the cruisers to a Laser match race on the harbor. This was a fundraiser for Youth Sailing and the yacht club and lots of fun. As a group we took a bus to the other side of the island to the town of Lambasa (Little India!) for some shopping and exploring the markets. Lambasa is a big sugar cane growing area and the market had lots of spun sugar candy for sale (this appealed to my sweet tooth!) We also had a delicious lunch at a local resort before returning to Savusavu.
We took a short trip out to take a look at the 5star Cousteau’s resort and do a little snorkeling with the crew on Katriana, and visited the tiny Nawi Island to check out the new marina development for the super yachts. A cruise ship came into town while we were in Savusavu and while generally everything thing closes on a Sunday for church, all of the locals had market stalls set up to make the most of some additional revenue coming in to the town. There would have been at least 2000 people being ferried back and forth from the little jetty where we were parked at the marina.
After a little under a week, and over a month of marinas and harbors we headed off for the sandy beaches and islands of Fiji. With the sun shining across the Koro Sea, our first stop was the island of Makongai. Makongai was a lepa colony back in the 60’s but is now a government marine reserve and a great place to snorkel. We were welcomed into the village in the traditional fashion with a sevusevu (kava ceremony) and a performace given by the local school children for us. Rose was a hit with her little bottles of bubbles, and Grace & Olivia had fun playing soccer with the older children. We finished the day with a bonfire and sundowners on the beach to watch the sun set.
Next stop was on to Viti Levu (the largest sland in Fiji) where we headed to Nananu I Ra, aand anchoring by the Volivoli beach resort (yay, finally a beach!). We have been blessed with sunshine and the wind from behind for these past two passages which makes for a very comfortable sail. The kids enjoyed swimming in the resorts pool (well Grace and Olivia did – Rose is still healing so is wading up to her knees for a little longer!) We took a taxi into the town of Rakiraki for a trip to the Market and a stock up on fresh fruit and veggies.
We are now heading towards the Yasawa and Mamanuca islands on the north eastern side of Viti Levu. This side of Fiji is traditionally much sunnier and drier that the west coast and so far it has not disappointed. We are off to soak up the winter sunshine for our remaining 3 ½ weeks in Fiji.
Comments
Vessel Name: Nika
Vessel Make/Model: Bavaria 46
Hailing Port: Hastings, Victoria
Crew: Craig, Linda, Grace, Olivia & Rose
About: We are a family off on the adventure of a lifetime, cruising NZ and South Pacific
Social:
Nika's Photos - Main
40 Photos
Created 18 December 2015
16 Photos
Created 30 November 2015
64 Photos
Created 20 November 2015
38 Photos
Created 3 November 2015
School photos of the girls on Nika
5 Photos
Created 20 October 2015
27 Photos
Created 20 October 2015
58 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
56 Photos
Created 24 September 2015
13 Photos
Created 14 August 2015
55 Photos
Created 2 August 2015
18 Photos
Created 23 July 2015
48 Photos
Created 19 July 2015
16 Photos
Created 26 June 2015
6 Photos
Created 17 June 2015
24 Photos
Created 5 June 2015
The Ha'apai group of islands - Tonga
37 Photos
Created 24 May 2015
27 Photos
Created 13 May 2015
5 Photos
Created 1 May 2015
No Photos
Created 19 April 2015
South Island road trip to Fox and Frans Joseph Glaciers, Picton and Marlborough Sounds
34 Photos
Created 19 April 2015
Our Easter - Cruising style
25 Photos
Created 9 April 2015
42 Photos
Created 24 March 2015
Sight seeing in Auckland and the Volvo Yacht Race festivities
31 Photos
Created 16 March 2015
With Nika safely parked in a Marina, the crew take an opportunity to head off on a road trip to the central north island
41 Photos
Created 11 March 2015
Paradise bay, Otehei Bay, Army Bay, Roberton Island, Opunga Cove
32 Photos
Created 24 February 2015
Our first day as a family in Opua and Paihia in the stunning Bay of Islands. A day spent on a walk from Paihia to Opua (6km) this included a 'short cut' at low tide.
18 Photos
Created 18 February 2015
Airport farewells
6 Photos
Created 18 February 2015
Our time staying with Sonia in Glen Iris, and spending time with special friends
31 Photos
Created 10 February 2015
Our passage from Port Welshpool to Lakes Entrance and our week in the Gipsland Lakes
28 Photos
Created 4 February 2015
12 Photos
Created 23 January 2015
9 Photos
Created 30 December 2014