Sailing with Nine of Cups

Vessel Name: Nine of Cups
Vessel Make/Model: Liberty 458
Hailing Port: Denver, Colorado, USA
Crew: Marcie & David
About: We've lived aboard Nine of Cups since 2000 and have managed to accumulate 86,000+ nm under the keel since that time. We completed a circumnavigation in April 2015 and managed to sail around the five great southern capes. Come along with us for the ride!
Extra:
Visit our website at www.nineofcups.com for more photos and info about Nine of Cups and her crew. We also have a more extensive blogsite at www.justalittlefurther.com. Are some of our links broken? Links break from time to time. Please let us know which ones are broken and we'll fix them. You [...]
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA
07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA
06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia
30 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
29 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
28 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
27 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
26 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
25 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
24 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
23 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
22 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
21 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
20 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
19 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
18 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
17 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
Recent Blog Posts
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA

Happy 2017!

Happy New Year, Everyone!

07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA

Taking a breather ...

Since we'll be off the boat during July and August, we plan to post only three times per week. The Captain will continue writing a practical Blue View post each week, we'll keep you up to date on what's happening with us and then throw in some cruising nuggets as well.

06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Keeping fit

We’ve written before about keeping fit on the boat. David is so much better at a regimented exercise program than I am. I have all the best intentions, but I can always think of something better to do than sit-ups, push-ups, leg lifts and running in place. It doesn’t take much to distract me. Walking, [...]

04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Happy 240th Birthday, America

Growing up in New England, I took for granted just how lovely a summer’s morning can be in Massachusetts. It’s comfortably cool and everything smells clean and fresh. Spider webs glisten with morning dew and it’s just great to be alive and breathe in the new day. Being back at Lin’s house conjures up wonderful childhood memories of summer mornings past. And this is not just any morning … it’s the 4th of July, the best holiday of the summertime in the USA.

02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Leaving Cups and a Road Trip

Leaving Nine of Cups is never easy. We know she’ll pout while we’re gone and so we do our best to make sure she’s as comfortable as possible before we leave. We were whirling dervishes trying to get everything ready.

01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia

Hunting & Gathering - Virginia Beach

We had lots to do before leaving Cups. David was intent on getting as many chores done in advance of our departure as possible so that once we return in September, we can spend time sailing in the Chesapeake rather than doing repairs and maintenance. Much of what we needed in the way of parts and supplies, [...]

No amputation required and chicken little

08 September 2011 | Moored in Port Vila, Vanuatu
Marcie
Both of us have been battling with small cuts on our feet that we acquired way back in Anatom that don't seem to be healing. In fact, they seem to be more painful than they were originally and in David's case, the area around the cut has blistered and become red and angry looking. Multiple daily washings with hydrogen peroxide, keeping the area clean and dry, applying triple antibiotic ointment and then on recommendation, changing to Cicatrin, a dry, antibacterial powder, has not helped. Since we're heading north to the nether lands soon where medicine equals magic men, we opted to spring for a medical consultation at the clinic across the street from the marina.

Marcie got the short straw, so had to remove her shoes and display her ugly feet and wounds to the doctor. The look on his face wasn't an "Oh, my God" look and he didn't reach for a hacksaw or amputation tools when he made his observations, but it did need attention. He cleaned the area with hydrogen peroxide (we got that part right), applied an antibacterial ointment (different active ingredients than ours), bandaged it up (gauze and tape, not a big band-aid) and wrote a prescription for a week long regimen of antibiotics. We hadn't progressed to the oral antibiotics stage yet (though we do have flucloxacillin sodium aboard), but it was reassuring we were doing everything else right. The doctor, along with his visiting Australian med student, was confident, reassuring and welcomed questions. We are both following the same procedures and hopefully will see some improvement over the next few days. This is not an area for "letting things go". We met an Australian yachtie the other day who had to fly home to Australia last year and was hospitalized when he picked up a rare flesh-eating infection in the waters of Lamen Bay, Epi (further north) and waited so long to seek treatment here, they couldn't handle the situation. The doctors here seem very competent, but have few diagnostic and therapeutic tools with which to work.

The rest of the day was spent trying to find chicken. We had a cup of coffee with friends who had visited this area many times before and they gave us the secret...a small butcher, just out of town named Traverso's had chicken breasts. Hooray! We jumped on a bus, got to Traverso's and they were closed...no electricity. When would they be open? They hoped by 1pm. Another bus ride and we were back in town and it was nearly lunchtime. On several recommendations, we tried "Chill" near the fresh market. It was great although we had chosen a bad day to lunch out...the cruise ship was in. Though crowded, we did have a very good lunch...excellent value for the money and a view of the bay to die for. We shopped a bit, wasted some time and then headed back to Traverso's around 1:30...still no power. Maybe tomorrow? We hope they have generators to keep all their meats/poultry refrigerated during this electrical lapse.

We picked up some fruit at the fresh market and needed a few things at Au Bon Marche. Lo and behold, they had chicken thighs today...second choice, but better than nothing. We decided rather than wager that Traverso's would have breasts tomorrow, we'd pick up 5kg of chicken thighs today and begin the canning process. Home in a flash, Marcie had the pressure cooker ready to go and the chicken thighs skinned, boned and bottled within the hour. Seven new jars of chicken are cooling overnight ready for the larder and we had fresh chicken salad with tomatoes on baguettes for dinner.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups
SailBlogs Friends
LONG WHITE CLOUD
Leu Cat
Carinthia
SANGARIS
Migaloo
Asylum
Tiger Lilly
Thorfinn
Hello World
Halekai
Tender Spirit
Valiam
Talacam
MACCABEE
Annecam
HooRoo
Echo Echo