Sailing with Nine of Cups

Vessel Name: Nine of Cups
Vessel Make/Model: Liberty 458
Hailing Port: Denver, Colorado, USA
Crew: Marcie & David
About: We've lived aboard Nine of Cups since 2000 and have managed to accumulate 86,000+ nm under the keel since that time. We completed a circumnavigation in April 2015 and managed to sail around the five great southern capes. Come along with us for the ride!
Extra:
Visit our website at www.nineofcups.com for more photos and info about Nine of Cups and her crew. We also have a more extensive blogsite at www.justalittlefurther.com. Are some of our links broken? Links break from time to time. Please let us know which ones are broken and we'll fix them. You [...]
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA
07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA
06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia
30 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
29 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
28 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
27 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
26 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
25 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
24 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
23 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
22 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
21 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
20 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
19 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
18 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
17 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
Recent Blog Posts
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA

Happy 2017!

Happy New Year, Everyone!

07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA

Taking a breather ...

Since we'll be off the boat during July and August, we plan to post only three times per week. The Captain will continue writing a practical Blue View post each week, we'll keep you up to date on what's happening with us and then throw in some cruising nuggets as well.

06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Keeping fit

We’ve written before about keeping fit on the boat. David is so much better at a regimented exercise program than I am. I have all the best intentions, but I can always think of something better to do than sit-ups, push-ups, leg lifts and running in place. It doesn’t take much to distract me. Walking, [...]

04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Happy 240th Birthday, America

Growing up in New England, I took for granted just how lovely a summer’s morning can be in Massachusetts. It’s comfortably cool and everything smells clean and fresh. Spider webs glisten with morning dew and it’s just great to be alive and breathe in the new day. Being back at Lin’s house conjures up wonderful childhood memories of summer mornings past. And this is not just any morning … it’s the 4th of July, the best holiday of the summertime in the USA.

02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Leaving Cups and a Road Trip

Leaving Nine of Cups is never easy. We know she’ll pout while we’re gone and so we do our best to make sure she’s as comfortable as possible before we leave. We were whirling dervishes trying to get everything ready.

01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia

Hunting & Gathering - Virginia Beach

We had lots to do before leaving Cups. David was intent on getting as many chores done in advance of our departure as possible so that once we return in September, we can spend time sailing in the Chesapeake rather than doing repairs and maintenance. Much of what we needed in the way of parts and supplies, [...]

Cookie Delivery

06 June 2009 | En route to Tahanea, Tuatmotus
Marcie
While David scraped, sanded and varnished, I was a baking maniac. I made a huge batch of chocolate chip cookies which we planned to deliver to every boat in the other anchorage later in the afternoon.

To enter this atoll, you come in through a natural pass in the reef. This is a large atoll (an island surrounded by a coral reef with an inner lagoon) and there are actually 3 passes in, but only one safely navigable for sailboats. We are anchored on the east side of the pass and there were 5 boats anchored on the west. When the tide comes in and out, there's quite a bit of turbulence in the pass because of all of the water either rushing in or rushing out through a narrow opening, but you really don't think about it much unless you have to cross for some reason which we hadn't done up to this point. When we left Cups on the cookie delivery run, about 3pm, there was quite a bit of turbulence in the pass which is about 1/2 mile wide. We didn't take anything with us like shoes, water, dinghy anchor, etc. since we only planned to be gone for an hour or so. But David filled up the gas tank so we'd have plenty of fuel. With our 4HP dinghy engine, it took a while to navigate the pass. There were quite a few large, square waves...close together which cause the dink to climb up one and then get slapped and bang down hard as it negotiates the next one and next one. So a rough ride over, but we managed though we got a bit wet and went about chatting with the cruisers there and delivering all the goods.

About 4:00 when we were heading back, it seemed that the turbulence was no worse so we set out across the pass. It was slow going. The tide was ebbing. All that water in this very large lagoon, emptying into the ocean at the same time through only 3 narrow passes. Yet, we really weren't too concerned until it became evident that we weren't making any headway at all, and in fact, we were moving backward and seemed to be getting sucked out through the pass towards the open ocean. Cups, on the other side of the pass, was now out of view around the point. David revved the engine a bit more and still no positive effect. He tried heading in different directions and made a little progress, but not much. We continued this way for nearly an hour...long enough so that David was now concerned that we might run out of fuel. I tried to check the tank while we were in motion and it didn't appear to have anything in it. I was looking for a little slosh of fuel or maybe even the reflection of the fuel on the bottom of the tank, but nothing. David checked next, hoping I was mistaken, but I wasn't. What a mess.

We scoured the shore for alternatives and decided if we could get to one little cove, we might be able to get the dinghy out of the current and wait it out until the current changed. With luck and some fancy maneuvering, we managed to get into a tiny inlet which was indeed calmer and out of the current. As we clambered out of the dinghy though, we were reminded that we had no shoes and the coral cut our feet as we tried walking to the shore to get out of the water. Had we had our shoes, we reckoned we could have walked along the shore on the reef and dragged the dinghy behind us on its painter at least for a ways to get closer to Cups, but without shoes that option was impossible. The full moon was now on the rise and it was dusk. The thought of spending the night on this island was not appealing...mosquitoes, no water...although we did have one extra package of cookies for dinner.

David threw a coconut in the water near us and we watched as it floated away...but not all that quickly. Perhaps, trying to row the dinghy back to Cups, keeping close to shore would work. We pushed the dink out of the little inlet and walked it out as far as we could to clear the reef, grouching and ouching and as our feet got scraped up on the coral. In we climbed. As soon as David started rowing, the port oarlock broke. He could sort of manage if I held down the oarlock in place, but when the second oarlock pulled out, it was a no-go. Now what?

We each took an oar and started paddling, Indian-style. We were making a little headway, but we were still quite far from the boat, though now at least, Cups was in view. We paddled for what seemed an eternity and David finally figured I needed a break. We'd see just how much fuel was left in the dinghy. It started up on the first try...hooray. Now, would it make it to the boat? As we got nearer and nearer Cups, we said all sorts of prayers, crossed our fingers, toes and eyes and did whatever else we thought would give us enough luck to make it back. Finally, Cups was within reach. With a huge sigh of relief, I tied up the dinghy painter and looked at David. We both laughed and started unloading the dinghy. He checked the gas tank...we were actually running on the fuel left in the carburetor. It might have lasted another minute or two. Talk about luck, huh?

Moral of the story...never deliver cookies without having your shoes and anchor with you and NEVER get too smug around Neptune.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups
SailBlogs Friends
LONG WHITE CLOUD
Leu Cat
Carinthia
SANGARIS
Migaloo
Asylum
Tiger Lilly
Thorfinn
Hello World
Halekai
Tender Spirit
Valiam
Talacam
MACCABEE
Annecam
HooRoo
Echo Echo