Non Sequitur

24 August 2013 | Alameda
23 August 2013 | 119 NM NW of the Golden Gate Bridge
22 August 2013 | 11 miles NW of Cape Blanco
21 August 2013 | 11 miles NW of Cape Blanco
19 August 2013 | Coos Bay, Or
18 August 2013 | 37 miles NW Coos Bay
17 August 2013 | South Beach Marina Newport, Oregon
16 August 2013 | 45 miles from Newport Oregon
15 August 2013 | West entrance Strait of Juan de Fuca
15 August 2013 | Pacific Ocean southwest of Neah Bay
14 August 2013 | Neah Bay
05 August 2013 | Mackaye Harbor
05 August 2013 | Bedwell Harbour
04 August 2013 | Poet's Cove, Bedwell Harbour
29 July 2013 | Squirrel Cove
26 July 2013 | Waddington Harbour, Bute Inlet, BC
25 July 2013 | Waddington Harbour, Bute Inlet
24 July 2013 | Big Bay, Stuart Island, BC
23 July 2013 | Teakerne Arm
22 July 2013 | Teakerne Arm

Waddington Harbour-Bute Inlet

26 July 2013 | Waddington Harbour, Bute Inlet, BC
Pete
7/26 Waddington Harbour-Bute Inlet
After another lazy morning on the boat, followed by setting, resetting, and resetting again a stern anchor to pull the stern of the boat around so the boat would be bow into the building chop blowing up Bute Inlet, we escaped ashore in the dinghy for lunch and a shore excursion to explore the shoreline mud flats in hopes of seeing Rachelle's grizzly. The bay was windy but warm, and the views were amazing. We went ashore at low tide with the hopes of seeing bear on the mud flats looking for clams and such, but were disappointed in that regard. The wind and waves were wild enough that we didn't want to get out of site of the boat (I was confident that the anchor had plenty of scope and would hold, but maintained a healthy paranoia, not that if the anchor had drug, we would have been able to get back to the boat in time to do anything anyway). After lunch we walked the dinghy along the shoreline in surprisingly warm ankle to knee deep waters and then motored back to the boat.

Unfortunately, the waves and wind decided this was a grand time to build, and by the time we got to the boat we were looking at occasional series of 3 ft waves which made getting aboard somewhat difficult. Rachelle lost her footing during her scramble aboard, renched her shoulder and fell in the water, but was able to pull herself up the stern swim ladder. We secured the oars and seat from the dinghy, leaving the outboard and the fuel tank to ride out the rest of the chop just in time for the stern anchor to pull free of the bottom during a 30+ kt gust, allowing the boat to be blown sideways to the waves again. I pulled in the stern anchor, and checked our position to make sure the bow anchor wasn't dragging. We dried off, warmed up with some hot tea and a thick soup, and rode out the rest of the blow by playing a game of cribbage. Rachelle won, although her victory dance was somewhat diminished due to her injured wing. By nightfall the waves had settled significantly but the frequent williwaws kept the boat sideways to the chop making for a less than comfortable anchoring experience.
Comments
Vessel Name: Non Sequitur
Vessel Make/Model: CS 34
Hailing Port: Seattle, WA, USA
Extra: SV Non Sequitur is a 1991, fiberglass constructed 34' sailboat made in Ontario, Canada. Originally a sloop rig, during our recent refit, we added a cutter stay and running backstays primarily for the storm-jib.
Non Sequitur's Photos - Main
18 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
121 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
120 Photos
Created 21 July 2013
Our photos of the race on Hooked.
27 Photos
Created 19 November 2009
Our 10 day sprint to Desolation Sound and back to Seattle
48 Photos
Created 19 November 2009