Out of our Minds

25 February 2010
23 February 2010 | Directly Across from Downtown Miami
22 February 2010 | Anchored off of Biscayne Key
07 February 2010 | Anchored outside of Boot Key Harbor
24 January 2010 | 24 33.098N: 81 42.570W
01 January 2010 | Key West
11 December 2009 | Key West
09 December 2009 | Key West
08 December 2009 | Key West
06 December 2009 | Key West
26 November 2009 | Boca Chica Marina
24 November 2009 | Boca Chica Marina
16 November 2009 | Key West Florida
10 November 2009 | Marco Island
07 November 2009 | Back in the bay after 2 days at Fort Meyers Beach
04 November 2009 | San Carlos Bay off of Sanibel

Still in paradise

24 November 2009 | Boca Chica Marina
Terry High in the mid 80s low about 70
Describing Key West to anybody that has not been here is a lot like describing a new kind of food to somebody who has never had a bite of any of the ingredients. Let's just say we are in paradise and leave it at that.

The marina that we are in is 3/4ths people that came here years ago for a short visit and will now never leave. I can see how it happens to them and we discuss getting scooters and signing a year lease every day even though we are sure we do not want to stay.

It is funny what comes over you when you get here and time disappears. One couple that has been here for 10 years also owns a house in Orlando near the kids of course. They stayed there for 3 months this year and decided to come back and sell the boat. Then they got here and could not do it. This place has that kind of magic.

Not to worry folks we should be moving on soon. I do not know where we are going but we have to try some more living. Still I think that our travels could end right here some day.

Upgrading Paradox.

Our time on the hook on the way down here showed a major flaw in Paradox's design. She carries a lot of energy sucking instruments that drain her batteries quickly. Making matters worse she has a giant diesel generator that cannot burn less than a gallon per hour even if all that we are doing is charging our batteries and the batteries can take 3 to 4 hours smelly hours to hit a full charge.

The solution is that we are adding 2 135 watt Kyocera solar panels to Paradox's dinghy davits. They should provide about 50% of our power requirements. We will still run the generator in the evenings to watch TV, make water and cool her down with the A/C before going to bed, but we will not have to run them as much. I would like to add some more panels but it seems too expensive to create a place to mount them.

You know when we are here Dad and I do not even mind pumping out the heads. Wierd!

After the upgrade and Thanksgiving

We plan on checking out the scene in Marathon. The city there has an entire bay set up with balls for hundreds of cruisers. They have project rooms and tv rooms, showers, and dinghy docks. They have a cruiser's net that meets on channel 69 every morning to talk about things to do together. There is taco Tuesday and a large number of professional musicians sail their boats there. There are parties and strange subcultures. There are no docks and Paradox will need her shiny new solar panels for certain.

Very sincerely, I wish you were all here.

Peace and love from the keys.
Comments
Vessel Name: Paradox
Vessel Make/Model: 52' Jeanneau *Sun Odyssey 52.2*
Hailing Port: Home is where our boat is.
Crew: Terry, Debbie, Ski, Joanna, Princess and Misty
About:
Terry will be the official skipper since he is the only one that navigates right now. Ski is Terry's father and will be the first mate since he is the only other sailor. Debbie, is Terry's wife and will be officially a swab, but she is looking for promotion. [...]
Extra: All people are created equal member of ONE HUMAN FAMILY

Want to tweet http://twitter.com/FinsOnTheLeft

Who: Terry, Debbie, Ski, Joanna, Princess and Misty
Port: Home is where our boat is.