Norna's News

10 June 2013 | Xhios
05 February 2013
05 December 2012 | Raft Up
02 November 2012
28 October 2012 | Ermopoulis, Syros
03 October 2012
18 September 2012 | Ermioni
17 August 2012 | Vivari
02 August 2012 | Epidavros
03 July 2012 | Nafpion
16 June 2012 | Russian Bay, Poros
05 June 2012
24 May 2012 | Epidavros
03 May 2012 | Kilada
18 April 2012 | Kilada
23 February 2012
19 January 2012
02 January 2012

water problems

19 January 2012
Since I last wrote we've become very well aquainted with GMT - Greek Maybe Time. It gives a whole new sense of urgency to 'manjana'!

After a few hours of struggling, Andy eventually managed to get the hot water tank out of the engine room. On inspection we noticed that there were quite a few areas of corrosion around the welds that would need to be dealt with. The tank is 25 years old and had probably come to the end of its life so we've ordered another one. This is where the GMT comes in.

Off we go to the hardware shop (a bit like Stocks of Whitstable, but Greek!) to ask if they have anything like it in stock. One of the shop owners offered to look online at Greek manufacturers for us, please come back tomorrow.

The next day a manufacturer has been found who will make us a stainless steel version of his normal, copper tanks. Before we can order though, we need to check that it will fit into the space in the engine room. Please come back tomorrow.

The tank will fit but does it have a stainless steel coil and can it have a 2kw immersion. Please come back tomorrow.

Yes it can have a 2kw immersion. Is the coil stainless steel? It's a holiday tomorrow, please come back Monday.

The coil is stainless - maybe. Please check all measurements before we order as it is a special order and no refund is possible if it's not right. Please come back tomorrow.

The manager is off sick - please come back tomorrow.

Yes, it will fit. Before the tank is ordered I'll get the spec in writing as I don't trust Greeks (coming from a Greek man!). Please come back tomorrow.

The coil is definitely stainless, it's ordered, maybe 8 days and then it will be delivered!

So two weeks after Andy removed the tank we have managed to get one ordered. With a lot of luck it will arrive at the beginning of next week and Andy will have time to redo the plumbing and fit it before he goes back to the UK. We've been relying on pans of hot water for washes with the occasional shower at a friend's place.

We've had a quiet month so far. We've been out for dinner a couple of times and had a few walks but the weather hasn't been up to much, lots of northerly wind to reduce the temperature and loads of rain. We have more wind and cold weather forecast for the next few days and then it should start to warm up a bit next week.

Next installment due sometime - I'm getting used to this GMT thing!
Comments
Vessel Name: Norna Biron
Vessel Make/Model: Custom Steel Cutter
Hailing Port: London
Crew: Andy and Steph Marsh
About: Husband and wife team with Puss and Fluff to help out!

Norna's news

Who: Andy and Steph Marsh
Port: London