SailBlog

Vessel Name: Northanger
Vessel Make/Model: Damien Ketch
About: http://www.northanger.org
15 April 2010 | 53 58'S:064 00'W, South Atlantic
31 March 2010 | 51 33'S:055 55'W, Scotia Sea
29 March 2010 | 52 04'S:050 19'W, Scotia Sea
29 March 2010 | 52 04'S:050 19'W, Scotia Sea
28 March 2010 | 52 24'S:047 43'W, Scotia Sea
27 March 2010 | 52 43'S:043 48'W, Scotia Sea
22 February 2010 | 53 16'S:039 57'W, Scotia Sea
19 February 2010 | 52 14'S:050 04'W, Scotia Sea
12 February 2010 | 51 41'S:057 50'W, Southern Ocean
02 February 2010 | 55 08'N:063 43'W, Southern Ocean
Recent Blog Posts
15 April 2010 | 53 58'S:064 00'W, South Atlantic

Dunbar Farm Astern

Position 53 58.63S - 64 00.39W

31 March 2010 | 51 33'S:055 55'W, Scotia Sea

Popcorn

Popcorn

29 March 2010 | 52 04'S:050 19'W, Scotia Sea

At Sea Food

March 29th

Once again on route for South Georgia

19 February 2010 | 52 14'S:050 04'W, Scotia Sea
Keri-Lee Pashuk
February 19

It's 3 am and my watch. The winds have dropped right off from the boisterous 30 knots of last night and have veered to the NW. Northanger is making four and a half knots under mizzen and partially furled jib which after yesterdays average of 6.9 knots, feels a bit slow. It is a good night speed, though, when there may be ice around.

We left Stanley early the morning of the 17th. A lonely figure on the dock waved us away on our journey. It was Lin, our new crew members wife. She is staying in Stanley, committed to her job as teacher at the school, while her husband, Brian, joins us on our second attempt to reach South Georgia.

On Saturday, Greg flew to Punta Arenas and will soon be flying on to New Zealand. The surgeon said it would be at least a month for his amputated finger to heal properly, and a boat was not a place to be. Greg was planning a trip to New Zealand at the end of March, to go to be with his father, David, who is battling with lung cancer. At least now, they will have a bit more time together.

It has been a bit of a rollercoaster of emotions for all aboard Northanger. Greg's accident has been foremost on our minds and the need to know he would be safe and in good hands. I cannot give enough praise for the staff at the Stanley hospital. Much thanks to you all.

After the accident it was unclear whether we should continue on to South Georgia. With Greg now unable to continue on the voyage, the strength of the team was compromised. Greg and I have been sailing together for 20 years and both of us know Northanger inside and out. I was not sure how I would feel continuinng on without him. I know I can skipper Northanger safely, especially with Magnus as crew. My question was, did I feel confident enough in our ability with just two of us as crew, and Beth Anne as Hayley's back up, to know that we could support Hayley on her solo circumnavigation around South Georgia. I decided that I would not go unless we found another competent crew member who could not only could sail, but was happy to muck about with engines and electronics, added skills that would strengthen the team.

We asked a number of people we knew to be confident, all were busy. Some people volunteered to fly down to our assistance but by the time they arrived, it would be too late in the season. I gave a deadline of Saturday as decsision day. It was the day Greg was to fly out of Stanley and one day after the local paper, the Penguin News, wrote an article about Hayley and how we were looking for another crew member. That is how we found Brian Cartwright, skipper for 15 years, he and his wife living aboard and sailing their own vessel for the past 5 years. Can muck about in engines and can do electronics. More importantly, happy to be on a boat for five weeks with three woman and a dread nought (that's Magnus). Hence, here we are, two days out of Stanley, Brian curled up in his berth getting some rest before his watch, and the Kayaking to Save Albatross Expedition back on route.

Keri
Comments
Current Position
Northanger's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.

About & Links

Favorites
No Links Added Yet