Dermot's NW Passage voyage on board Young Larry

23 September 2010 | Just left Nome
23 September 2010 | Just left Nome
17 September 2010 | Approaching Nome
11 September 2010 | 25 miles east of Point Barrow
11 September 2010 | 25 miles east of Point Barrow
10 September 2010 | Beaufort Sea
09 September 2010 | Beaufort Sea
08 September 2010 | Approaching Demarcation Point
06 September 2010 | Herschel Island
05 September 2010 | The rather splendidly named Beluga Bay- despite its absence of said whales so far
04 September 2010 | Tuktoyaktuk
03 September 2010 | Approaching Tuktoyaktuk
02 September 2010 | Franklin Bay
02 September 2010 | Franklin Bay
02 September 2010 | Franklin Bay

And they're off....

15 August 2010 | Barrow Straight- South of Resolute and North of Entrance to Peel Sound
Liz for Dermot
It's Sunday afternoon/evening and we've finally left Erebus and Terror bay (way too many R's in that ame for someone with my speech impedment). It is still not at all certain that we're going to make it through. The latest ice charts have just come through and we're all interpreting them now. Clearly our collective experience is limited but we are starting to be able to spot patterns and have an idea about what might happen. Obviously however the years' of experience of people like Peter Semotiuk is, as ever, even more valuable!

The N/NW winds have had their effects. Big wodge of ice has come round the SE corner of Cornwallis Island towards Resolute. That should be possible to skirt round to the South. There is a bit less around the entrance to Peel Sound but that is probably because it has all got a bit compressed with the funnelling effect. We shall see.

Still we're sailing along nicely and going to give it a try. We might make it through or go to Resolute of back to where we started, which would be a bit if a shame but far from being a disaster.

The wind was a steady 20 knots when set out but has eased a little. We are sailing with a fair wind on the beam. We do have the motor on but only to run the water maker. The heater isn't currently working and it is noticeably chillier than in harbour. 1 degree Celsius which makes for pretty cold digits by the end of a watch (though as nothing compared to the North Pole. I learnt an interesting fact in a book on 19th century polar explorers, that the Royal Navy allowed those who had been to both polar circles to put both feet up on the table- tempted anyone?!

With regard to the heater, we did have a minor incident when trying to light thee diesel powered heater. Down draft in the chimney smoked out te hole cabin and even stirred Sibeal from her cubby hole.

I did actually have my first accordion lesson last night- see photo of me in a session with Maire on the Cello! She is a great teacher (especially given the very limited raw material she was forced to work with!). Also credit to Andrew and Sibeal for being tolerant enough not to tell me to just 'shut up'. One advantage of the accordion (it being I'm told, a melodic instrument!) is that at least the notes I was playing were actual notes. Made me feel a bit like I was in the Morecombe & Wise show with Andre Previn/Preview 'playing ALL the right note, just not necessarily in the right ORDER....'. I start with practice of scales in the key of G and progressed to hot cross buns and then Shenandoah. Not bad eh? There is video and sound footage but you're spared this, as the cost of sending it via satellite would be prohibitive!

Thank you to those who have sent messages- all have been read and very much appreciated. Thank you to Liz for everything including manually putting up all my blog postings (the automagical system hasn't been working since I got on board) and forwarding comments and messages. Short message can probably be sent via her: liz_ball at yahoo dot com.

Once again, postings whilst underway and dodging ice might be a bit erratic and sporadic so don't fuss if you don't her from me. Young Larry is a great tough boat, with extremely competent skipper and we're all sensible and not in the business of taking unnecessary risks.
Comments
Vessel Name: Young Larry