NY48 CHINOOK

Getting up close and personal with a 96 year old. (now 97!)

24 June 2013 | Frejus, France
04 June 2013 | Antibes, France
19 May 2013 | Off the coast of Tunisia
13 May 2013 | Tunisia
05 May 2013 | Tunisia
28 April 2013 | Tunisia
23 April 2013 | Tunisia
22 April 2013
21 April 2013 | Tunisia
14 April 2013 | Tunisia
07 April 2013 | Tunisia
02 April 2013 | Tunisia
26 March 2013 | Tunisia
11 March 2013 | France
03 March 2013 | Tunisia
24 February 2013 | Tunisia
17 February 2013 | Tunisia
10 February 2013 | France
04 February 2013 | France
27 January 2013 | Tunisia

Week 53

03 March 2013 | Tunisia
Jono and Graham
We love having people visit, be it to work or just passing by to lend moral support. Andrew, known as “Squirrel”, arrived last week and, much to our delight, has since squirrelled his way into just about everything to do with the project. Graham arrived on Tuesday for a quick visit and to put us back on the right track. His thoughts follow:

My latest visit to see the project.
Well, for the first time in my several visits, the sun was shining and it wasn't raining, it bode well for the visit?
The hour drive from the Airport gave good opportunity for an update on the project and plan to make best use of time available.
The program was running behind schedule for a number of reasons I was aware of, and needed to be put back on track with a realistic finishing time to be agreed and fixed.
First impressions, on arrival, looking around Chinook, was little had been achieved since last visit.
I soon realised that was not the case! So many small unseen yet essential jobs were well underway. Sandra has a tent in a corner of the cavernous building in which she works at the leather work on blocks and fittings, restoring and varnishing numerous items all getting ready for fitting, she guards her tent with its precious content fiercely. Jono meanwhile addresses the many technical tasks to be confronted, whilst working at his small workshop at the other side of the building.
I spoke at length with Salva about progress building the main spar remembering well the time he took making the mast for Rowdy some years ago. I was worried that, although I could see it was 50% complete the remaining work would take some time and then 15 coats of varnish has to be applied before it could go into the boat.
Salva assured me that sufficient extra labour would be put to the task to ensure it would be finished on time. It will need close supervision.
Andrew (squirrel) had arrived (note his last blog) and as well as lending his hand to the many tasks of renovation, brought the invaluable tool of a specialised computer program of critical path analysis. The team had been imputing data, revising it, deciding on labour required and best use of it etc.
The finished document made enlightened reading and has brought about a very much more focused approach to the remainder of the task.it also clearly showed the required actions needed in the timeline to the completion of the mast, putting me a little more at ease!
There was to be an early start the following morning, with a management meeting to further discuss the way forward, ironing out problems, answering the questions, to arrive at an enthusiastic consensus.
The meeting finished, we waited for the arrival of the large crane to lift the 12 Ton lead keel into position for re fixing to the boat. It was likely to be difficult, but imperative to have the keel back in position without any further delay, then allowing much of the internal fitting to be finished.
The keel, or Elephant, as Andrew described it, was lying upside down outside the building, had to be turned over lifted then swung into the building, placed on jockey wheels placed on a ramp along which the keel would be rolled up into final position under the boat,
Simple as that!
The crane's task went well and completed quite quickly under Jono's direction. The task to then move the keel up the ramp into position was to be more difficult. Jono's ingenuity came to the fore, putting to use, one of our yet unused Lewmar winches, bolted to the steel frame of the boats cradle, winding a heavy old main sheet run through 2 purchase points, further adjusting the keels position on the ramp with an available car jack, and the keel stabilised with clamped outriggers held either side by yard workers, the elephant started to move, everyone holding breath! It finally arrived into a position ready to complete the task the following day, while the underside of the boat and top of the lead keel was prepared to receive it.
I had a final catch up with Jono, said my fair-wells to all, received a hug from Sandra and Salva drove me to the airport, giving us a chance to have an encouraging talk on the way.
Aboard the plane, I must say I'm delighted with progress, there is a renewed sense of purpose with the entire team and I'm of the firm view we will be leaving Bizerte bound for Cannes on the last day of April or possibly even before that date.
Great stuff, well done everybody!
I hope to return and catch up again, early April.
Graham.

The “Elephant” completed its journey on Thursday morning and by lunchtime was once more in position under Chinook after its short absence outside in the African winter. Much adjustment was required to align it with the boat but this was completed on time and all the other preparations were made in order to reunite the two. The union took place on Saturday morning and by days end, or rather nights beginning, five of the new aluminium bronze keel bolts were in place. Sandra and I returned this afternoon, having dropped Andrew to the airport, and managed to fit another six bolts in place, so eleven of the eighteen are fitted and I will endeavour to complete the task tomorrow.
There are lots of photos for week 53 and I have added a few more to week 52. Enjoy and comment if you like.

Jono.
Comments
Vessel Name: Chinook
Vessel Make/Model: N G Herreshoff New York Yacht Club 40 footer
Hailing Port: London
Crew: Graham Walker, Jono Greenwood, Sandra Ugolini, Andrew Bates, Manu Fontaine
Extra:
Chinook was built in 1916 for Oliver G Jennings of the New York Yacht Club. She is hull number 782 and was launched as "Pauline" in the spring of that year along with her 11 sisterships. She raced with much success through out the twenties and thirties and changed ownership a couple of times during [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/ny48chinook/
Social:

Chinook NY48

Who: Graham Walker, Jono Greenwood, Sandra Ugolini, Andrew Bates, Manu Fontaine
Port: London