Ocean 40

The dream begins with the building of the boat that will take us around the World.

05 June 2014 | Auckland
05 June 2014 | Auckland
28 May 2014 | Auckland
28 May 2014 | Auckland
28 February 2013
28 February 2013
28 February 2013
28 February 2013 | Auckland
28 February 2013 | Auckland
11 November 2012 | Auckland
11 November 2012 | Auckland
11 November 2012 | Auckland
20 October 2012 | Auckland
20 October 2012 | Auckland
20 October 2012 | Auckland
20 October 2012 | Auckland
20 October 2012 | Auckland
14 September 2012 | Auckland
24 June 2012 | Auckland
23 June 2012 | Auckland

A bit about her Design

28 February 2007 | Auckland
Designed by John Reynolds, who currently resides in Greenhithe, Auckland.

A solid glass bull (pleasingly thick), the hull was layed up in the early 80's by John Reynolds himself. Back in about 81 to 85 he layed up in excess of 9 hulls (3 were finished proffessionally) but the rest were sold to backyard builders (as was a regular practice back then). The deck and cabin sides are GRP. This particular yacht has been built as a centre cockpit, which makes quite good use of internal space. In talking with John, there is apparently 1 other Centre Cockpit in Auckland (Royal Durban).

We know of 3 other Ocean 40's. Merlin in Thames. Wild Sweet (previously built and owned by John Reynolds until about 6 Years ago) recently for sale in Auckland and Moon Glow owned by Vince Reidy from Gulf Harbour. All these 3 are the same hull but are built as aft cockpits.

They have a 3/4 integral lead keel (3-1/2 tonnes of lead shot) and skeg hung rudder. The rudder on ours has been lengthened, which appears to be an improvement on the original design. Although, as an improvement, John Reynold's has suggested this should be lengthened further.

Her fuel and water storage tanks looked to be originally constructed and glassed into the hull. These have since been removed by the previous owner and a new 325 litre 3mm alloy fuel tank has been constructed to Lloyds standards to be fitted underfloor and 3 new stainless steel water tanks totalling 700 litres to be fitted underfloor.

He Diesel Engine is a Perkins M90 which is 81HP and is about 1978. It has come out of another vessel and is in situ but has never been completely set-up. There are some parts that are missing and some parts that will need replacing. There is a new Hurth Gearbox and propellor shaft fitted. We will need to assess fairly soon whether to keep the motor or replace with a recondition one.

The cabin sides are constructed in 3 layers of ply with a thin layer of glass over. The windows have not been fitted correctly and with her being in the weather the cabin sides have begun to rot. Most of the cabin sides will need replacing and new portlights fitted. The majority of the deck appears to be very sound with just one or two soft places down the port side to be replaced.

The hard dodger, although there is nothing wrong in it's construction, it has been built too low to sit under confortably and this will need to be replaced with something about 150mm higher.

She comes with a brand new alloy mast and boom and some rigging.

The internal layout will be of conventional design. There is a large storage area in the bow with access from the deck. Just aft of this is a large double cabin (with large opening hatch). Aft of this on the port side will be a rounded seatee with table and on the starboard side will be a rounded seatee. Just below and forward of the cockpit steps will be the nav station on the port side and an L shaped galley on the starboard side. The shower/head will be under the cockpit seats on the port side (access from the Nav area). Under the cockpit seats on the starboard side is the walk through pilot berth to the double aft cabin.

To see some photos of the interior please check out the photo link. Please excuse the mess!

The Move

27 February 2007 | Auckland
Friday 12th January 2007 was the transportation day from Drury (South Auckland) to Henderson (West Auckland).

After negotiations, we had settled to make the move with Boat Haulage who seemed to have expertise in moving boats from difficult sites. Although probably not the cheapest we felt comfortable with the recommendation of various others to engage their services.

The day dawned forecasting wet weather and we began to wonder what difficlties they would experience, seeing they had to negotiate farmland terraine to extract the vessel. The operation began at approx. 9:00am (in light drizzle) with successful jacking and side winching of a somewhat frail steel cradle (supporting an approx 9 tonne vessel), that had embedded itself in the Terra Firma for a period of 9 Years.

Next came the loading onto the trailer. The unique Boat Haulage trailer less it's rear wheels is skidded under the cradle followed by elevating the rear and refixing the trailer wheel assemblies. A difficult operation made very simple on an uneven terraine.

Once everything is securely loaded, Luke (Driver) made easy work of traversing the farm with a load that appeared to us to be too wide and top heavy for the narrow based trailer, as it rolled and rocked itself to the tarmac of the main road.

So began the 2-1/2 hour journey with a load in excess 4.8m high all marginal overhead structures had to be avoided and so we were entertained with the back streets and bypasses from one side of Auckland to the other.

7-1/2 hours later and approx $1,900 lighter in pocket, she was in her resting position for the next 2 to 3 Years.

(see the photos in the album).

The Beginning

26 February 2007 | Auckland
Our dream was in 3 to 5 Years to purchase a 40ft Offshore capable yacht to start our circumnavigation. We had looked at different designs and had come up with a list of must have criteria.

Firstly, it must be roomy, with full head height and not be a slug. Preferably centre cockpit with a hard dodger. Prefering solid glass hull construction, skeg hung rudder and cutter rigged with an easy uncluttered deck to move around. Lastly, heaps of storage and loads of ventilation.

To fit within our time/savings plan we were looking at yachts in the $150 - $180,000 bracket. We figured that we would need to spend another $20 - $40,000 personalising her and bringing it up to current Cat 1. This option would take 3 Years of saving hard, 1 Year of completing any necessary work and 1 Year of local sailing. The other option, was to purchase a yacht of a lesser value, say $60 - $80,000 and do a major refit of say another $60 - $80,000.

Three weeks prior to Christmas 2006 a Reynolds Ocean 40 Hull and Deck was listed on TradeMe for $30,000 ONO. Someone's unfinished project that was sitting on farmland in Drury rapidly deteriorating. We just had to have a look!

It showed signs of potential, having an integral 3/4 keel with skeg hung rudder, solid glass hull with GRP cabin sides and deck. Centre cockpit with hard dodger and cutter rigged. She was filthy inside and out and looked like an awful lot of time and money would be needed to complete her.

So what did we do? We put forward an offer of $20,500 and were successful.

What have we done!!!
Vessel Name: Ocean 40
Vessel Make/Model: Reynolds Ocean 40
Hailing Port: Auckland, New Zealand
Crew: Morris & Sue McLeary

Owners

Who: Morris & Sue McLeary
Port: Auckland, New Zealand