Voyage East from Rhode Island

Crossing the Atlantic Ocean on Runaway Bunny

Vessel Name: Runaway Bunny
Vessel Make/Model: Sloop
Crew: Crew: Eran, Rob, Joy, Charlie, Tristan, Juan.
About: Captain: Eran Gindi
16 November 2013 | Mallorca
13 November 2013 | Atlantic Ocean
06 November 2013 | 37deg42.4N 16deg16.2W
02 November 2013 | Azores
02 November 2013
30 October 2013
27 October 2013 | 35º42.932n 49º02.522w
26 October 2013 | Atlantic Ocean
26 October 2013
26 October 2013
26 October 2013 | North Atlantic
24 October 2013 | North Atlantic
24 October 2013 | North Atlantic
23 October 2013
23 October 2013
22 October 2013 | Bermuda
20 October 2013 | Bermuda
19 October 2013 | North Atlantic
19 October 2013
Recent Blog Posts
16 November 2013 | Mallorca

An ocean crossed

Tristan's final blog log

13 November 2013 | Atlantic Ocean

Tristan at the helm

Happy sailor on Runaway Bunny!

06 November 2013 | 37deg42.4N 16deg16.2W

The apples of my eye.

Tristan's blog log 7

02 November 2013 | Azores

Azores demons lost in translation

Tristan's blog log 6

Vegging out in Bermuda

20 October 2013 | Bermuda
Tristan
So, since the last report - we had to slow down!!

We reduced canvas and tried to reduce our speed to 6knots. We didn't want to arrive into Bermuda at night, so the decision was made to slow down and arrive in first thing Saturday morning. It is quite frustrating slowing down deliberately. But it had to be done. 

It's amazing to be at sea for days with no land in sight, and then have the island appear in front of us. Bermuda is a very small island, 24 or so miles long, so navigation skills are quite useful on an ocean.

As tired as we all were, we all got quite excited at the thought of a bit of time on land and the chance to contact our loved ones.

On arrival we had first to tie up at the customs point. There we all filled out our various forms, got our passports stamped, and then moved the boat to a deserted pier.

We spent the rest of the morning doing housework - cleaning both the inside and the outside of the boat. Then we had some well deserved lunch, and went off on our different ways.

The water is blue and very warm here, and the sun was splitting the stones.

Later, we all gathered again and had a small meal together on the island that night. We are all a sort of family now.

Today, Sunday, we have the day off and have gone our separate ways again.

The plan is to work on the boat, do laundry tomorrow morning, and then leave in the afternoon or Tuesday morning.

A stauntion on the starboard bow has broken in two, so a repair job needs to be done to that. Also, the midship pump for the toilet and sink stays on, so that needs to be fixed or the motor will burn out! The ais system is not working on the main computer, so that needs to be fixed too. And you thought this was a cruise?

The only things taking it really easy are the fruit and veg, which are all hanging in hammocks over the saloon. It all has to be looked at, and those that are beginning to rot need to be made into soup and stored, or chopped up and frozen.  We'll need to buy more fruit and veg and other supplies anyway.

Oh, the main engine is not charging the batteries, so the reason needs to be found and fixed.

Before we head out to sea again, we'll need to fill up with diesel and water. I'm sure there are more things to be done, and no doubt I will find out tomorrow!

I am off now for a swim and maybe a bit of a hike, and then something to eat.

Yours signing out,
T on the sea.
Comments

About & Links