Voyage East from Rhode Island

Crossing the Atlantic Ocean on Runaway Bunny

Vessel Name: Runaway Bunny
Vessel Make/Model: Sloop
Crew: Crew: Eran, Rob, Joy, Charlie, Tristan, Juan.
About: Captain: Eran Gindi
16 November 2013 | Mallorca
13 November 2013 | Atlantic Ocean
06 November 2013 | 37deg42.4N 16deg16.2W
02 November 2013 | Azores
02 November 2013
30 October 2013
27 October 2013 | 35º42.932n 49º02.522w
26 October 2013 | Atlantic Ocean
26 October 2013
26 October 2013
26 October 2013 | North Atlantic
24 October 2013 | North Atlantic
24 October 2013 | North Atlantic
23 October 2013
23 October 2013
22 October 2013 | Bermuda
20 October 2013 | Bermuda
19 October 2013 | North Atlantic
19 October 2013
Recent Blog Posts
16 November 2013 | Mallorca

An ocean crossed

Tristan's final blog log

13 November 2013 | Atlantic Ocean

Tristan at the helm

Happy sailor on Runaway Bunny!

06 November 2013 | 37deg42.4N 16deg16.2W

The apples of my eye.

Tristan's blog log 7

02 November 2013 | Azores

Azores demons lost in translation

Tristan's blog log 6

An ocean crossed

16 November 2013 | Mallorca
Tristan
Tristan's final blog log
Palma, Mallorca.



So, after sailing on through med straits, dodging huge ships, and as you do, the occasional submarine ...


... we headed north up the Spanish coast and then out for Mallorca.


There have been plenty of opportunities to confront and overcome challenges, like my fear of heights ...



... and mild navigational disagreements ...


We had stopped in Gibraltar for just an hour to refuel, and we were all pretty excited to see land.
Africa on one side, Spain on the other.


However, we were all a little bummed to have to leave without stepping on shore knowing that it would be another three days before making Mallorca. So close, but feels like still such a long time to go. It seems that the closer you get to the end, the longer it takes!

We were a day off Mallorca and the forecasters were telling us of very bad weather closing in. The last night sailing was spent sailing through strong 30kt winds, and a lot of tiredness. We were all unashamedly fed up at that stage. Luckily though, we managed to miss the worst of the storm. We had an anxious listen to the aftermath on the boat's radio the next day, as a motor boat 100 miles north of us was sending out maydays. Unfortunately, we were too far to help, but very glad to hear the coastguard come over the radio and fly to the rescue.

Plowing on through the high winds we made great time, putting the hammer down and opening out as much sail as possible whenever we could.

We eventually sailed into port at 4pm on Monday.


The next couple of hours were spent washing and cleaning both inside and out on the boat. We all then went our separate ways for the evening.

I got to chat to my family, which was great, if that bit harder knowing that the trip is finished but I'm not there just yet. My prearranged flight times meant I'd have an agonising wait. However, I managed to change flights, and I am now heading back home at last to my two boys arms and lives.

It has not sunk in yet, the journey I have completed. Over 4500 miles at sea. 5 weeks living on a boat - a temporary home that never stays still.

Folks, that's 5 weeks of sleeping in a moving bed. It's 5 weeks of no shaving. It's 5 weeks with only a handful of showers. Moreover, ladies and gentlemen, it is 5 weeks of having to pee sitting down because standing in the forward bathroom trying to do so at sea would mean cleaning the walls and roof every time! I won't miss all that.

I will miss though the amazing sense of humility to the ocean ...


and the incredible sky's when sailing through the night ...


and the sunsets and sunrises that last for only a few minutes ...



and gifts from the ocean ...


and, I will really miss the boys on the boat: Juan, Eran and Rob - amazing company.


It was an incredible journey, and I have my loved ones to thank for persuading and helping me to do it.

I may be broke at present, but to have such help and support to achieve my dream of crossing an ocean ... I feel like a very rich man indeed.

Until the next journey,

T on the sea
Comments

About & Links