Oceans Dream

02 August 2014 | ENGLAND
15 March 2014 | Malaysia
29 January 2014 | Thailand
26 December 2013 | Phuket, Thailand
30 November 2013 | Langkawi, Malaysia
03 November 2013 | Puteri Harbour Marina, Johor Bahru, Malaysia
04 October 2013 | Indonesian Borneo
22 September 2013 | Lovina, Bali
05 September 2013 | Komodo Island, Indonesia
18 August 2013 | Flores Island, East Nusa Tengarra, Indonesia
06 August 2013 | Kupang, Timor island
26 July 2013 | Northern Territory, Australia
21 July 2013 | Uluru, Australia
29 June 2013 | Fannie Bay, Darwin
17 June 2013 | Shelburne Bay, Cape Grenville, Australia
08 June 2013 | Carins, QLD
29 May 2013 | Townsville
12 May 2013 | Queensland
26 April 2013 | Mooloolaba, QLD
24 March 2013 | Mooloolaba, Queensland

The island of Epi.

02 June 2012 | Ambrym, Vanuatu
Admiral 40 Catamaran
Seven hours ago we left the island of Epi and it's wonderful villagers and made our way to Ambrym, some 42 miles north. Epi has been the highlight of our time in Vanuatu so far. The anchorage at Lamen Bay had been sold to us as the place to see dugongs. We didn't see any however, there were many turtles and dolphin. In fact, on going ashore, one of the familys' had a 'pet' turtle in a tin bath. Hmmmm ... we didn't dare ask. Along with a secondary boarding school, a primary school, a clinic, three churches, one co-op store (selling canned foods) and a baker - this village was pretty well catered for. 'Mum' would sometimes disappear off to tend her garden during the day (up to a couple of hours walk away), returning with any ripe produce towards the evening. 'Dad' would farm his coconut plantation producing copra in time for the arrival of the weekly boat - he gets 2,000 vatu (£14) per sack . A sheet of corragated iron (used in the drying of the coconut flesh) costs £28 plus shipping from Efate. Whilst in conversation with Timothy, the Chief of Lamen Bay, it was confirmed to us how the land lies with regards to the ni-Vans (Vanutans) attitude to work. Many Ni-Vans visit New Zealand to pick fruit in the orchards on north and south island. The company pays for the return flight and then gradually claws-back the cost from their salary. These trips are generally made when a child is off to boarding school and substantial fees are required. Otherwise, Timothy said what they see in New Zealand and on the yachts that arrive in the anchorage might be something of 'millionaires' to them but it's not a life they want. They like working in their gardens as and when necessary, Their food choice may be limited, but it is free. The same with living. Their homes may be basic but they don't have to be concerned with rent or a mortgage each month. They certainly seem content to us, they don't ask for anything (unless encouraged) and have not once complained about life. We met just three families in Epi and have come away laden down with pamplemousse, bananas, coconuts, oranges, papayas and island cabbage (pak choy). In return we gave marine glue, towels, exercise books, colouring pencils, clothes, cordial and balloons. Next update will be from the land-diving island of Pentecost.
Comments
Vessel Name: Oceans Dream
Vessel Make/Model: Admiral 40 catamaran
Hailing Port: Plymouth, UK
Crew: Adrian & Jackie
About:
Having both worked hard we decided we should enjoy an exciting and challenging retirement whilst we were young enough and fit enough. To realise this dream, we replaced our monohull with an ocean-going liveaboard catamaran. [...]

About Us

Who: Adrian & Jackie
Port: Plymouth, UK