Oceans Dream

02 August 2014 | ENGLAND
15 March 2014 | Malaysia
29 January 2014 | Thailand
26 December 2013 | Phuket, Thailand
30 November 2013 | Langkawi, Malaysia
03 November 2013 | Puteri Harbour Marina, Johor Bahru, Malaysia
04 October 2013 | Indonesian Borneo
22 September 2013 | Lovina, Bali
05 September 2013 | Komodo Island, Indonesia
18 August 2013 | Flores Island, East Nusa Tengarra, Indonesia
06 August 2013 | Kupang, Timor island
26 July 2013 | Northern Territory, Australia
21 July 2013 | Uluru, Australia
29 June 2013 | Fannie Bay, Darwin
17 June 2013 | Shelburne Bay, Cape Grenville, Australia
08 June 2013 | Carins, QLD
29 May 2013 | Townsville
12 May 2013 | Queensland
26 April 2013 | Mooloolaba, QLD
24 March 2013 | Mooloolaba, Queensland

Day-to-day life.

24 March 2013 | Mooloolaba, Queensland
Adrmial 40 catamaran
Flying fish
Flying fish, Mooloolaba marina

Oh dear, one blog a month so far this year. Is this a taste of things to come? Mooloolaba really has become our home here in Oz and with one day merging into the next, often there's not too much to report. Having said that, we can't complain. We've not had to journey far to appreciate the outdoor Aussie lifestyle. The 'Mooloolaba' album on the laptop confirms just this with separate folders for Boat Parade, Storms, Life Saving Comp, Triathlon, Fancy houses, Erumundi Market, Glass House mountains, fireworks ... not bad going for a town with a population of just 7,500.

Entertainment, Erumundi
Erumundi market street entertainment

Erumundi

Face painintg, Erumundi market
Face-painting, Erumundi market

Jackie took a 4 week trip back to the UK mid Feb. Enjoying every precious moment spent with family and friends (when she wasn't shopping for boaty bits!). It was cold and frosty and only a few raindrops fell in the time she was there - unlike the torrential downpours experienced in Oz in her absence. Queenslanders were busy dodging yet another cyclone and as the rivers flooded, so did the properties on the waters edge. Adrian and OD were safely tucked up in the marina developing a serious case of cabin fever. The weather continued to determine shopping trips and visits to neighbouring boats. A new TV aerial had been purchased providing more than just the one channel to ward off a diagnosis of insanity by Jackie's return.

Storm

Foam
Toxic foam after the storm

Foam

Mary River
The Mary River - you can see how how high the river levels rose during the flooding

Safely back in Oz, Jackie had bought some brighter weather with her for the weekend of the ITU World Cup Triathlon being held in Mooloolaba. There were thousands of competitors but just 20 in the 'Elite' (professional) mens and womens events. Sadly too late to place their entries, the Crew of OD instead cheered on Jodie Stimpson of GBR. Placed second overall following a 1500m open water swim, a 40km cycle ride up and down the esplanade and a 10km run. Others came over the finish line, immediately collapsing into wheelchairs from exhaustion. Hardly surprising considering the 30 degree heat.

Cycling event

Jodie running

Ambulance

Finishing line

Jodie

The Sail Indonesia Rally which leaves Australia's north coast city of Darwin in July usually has 150+ boats signed-up, we recognise over 15 of the boat names who have paid an interest to date and very much look forward to sharing some salty tales of recent months/years with them. In preparation for the Rally, we have invested in a new generator - a Mase. The one fitted by Admiral Yachts has been extremely temperamental over the last four years and in preparation for our onward journey to Indonesia, life would be far much easier with something that can be relied upon. We're also looking at a replacement helm seat.

April sees a trip to Melbourne for a long weekend. An opportunity to catch up with old friends, possibly see some penguins and tour the cosmopolitan city.

In signing-off, here's another picture of those beautiful flying fish ...

Flying fish
Comments
Vessel Name: Oceans Dream
Vessel Make/Model: Admiral 40 catamaran
Hailing Port: Plymouth, UK
Crew: Adrian & Jackie
About:
Having both worked hard we decided we should enjoy an exciting and challenging retirement whilst we were young enough and fit enough. To realise this dream, we replaced our monohull with an ocean-going liveaboard catamaran. [...]

About Us

Who: Adrian & Jackie
Port: Plymouth, UK