Oceans Dream

02 August 2014 | ENGLAND
15 March 2014 | Malaysia
29 January 2014 | Thailand
26 December 2013 | Phuket, Thailand
30 November 2013 | Langkawi, Malaysia
03 November 2013 | Puteri Harbour Marina, Johor Bahru, Malaysia
04 October 2013 | Indonesian Borneo
22 September 2013 | Lovina, Bali
05 September 2013 | Komodo Island, Indonesia
18 August 2013 | Flores Island, East Nusa Tengarra, Indonesia
06 August 2013 | Kupang, Timor island
26 July 2013 | Northern Territory, Australia
21 July 2013 | Uluru, Australia
29 June 2013 | Fannie Bay, Darwin
17 June 2013 | Shelburne Bay, Cape Grenville, Australia
08 June 2013 | Carins, QLD
29 May 2013 | Townsville
12 May 2013 | Queensland
26 April 2013 | Mooloolaba, QLD
24 March 2013 | Mooloolaba, Queensland

Malaysia's west coast

30 November 2013 | Langkawi, Malaysia
Admiral 40 catamaran
A month since writing our last blog and we find ourselves at the very northern tip of the west coast of Malaysia, in Langkawi.

Whilst awaiting a couple of items of post from the UK in Johor Bahru, we took a trip to Melaka about 200 miles away. The Malaysians seem to shorten their city names to initials and so we shall follow the same format from here on in ... Johor Bahru is JB. Kuala Lumpur is KL. Port Dickson is PD. Kota Kinabalu is KK ... you get the gist. The trip was a mere £8 each and involved a local bus journey to the main terminal followed by a 'VIP' coach journey onto Melaka. The VIP buses have just 28 seats on them so for a 'normal' sized bus, you can imagine the leg room afforded! Hotel Puri, our home for three nights was located in Chinatown and held a preferred address for wealthy Baba (Straits-born Chinese) traders who were most active during the early 20th century.


Hotel Puri


House
Private house opposite hotel


Tiles
Terracota tiles - a common sight in Malaysia


The town itself is small so to tick off the sights doesn't have to take three days. We enjoyed a trip up the river ...


River trip


Bridge


Many walks around the town .....


Sign


... much to the annoyance of the riders of gaudy trishaws who would much rather have the business ....


Trishaw


Trishaw


Trishaw


On return to JB from Melaka, we joined a day tour of the area laid on by the Sail Malaysia Rally followed by a dinner in the evening...


Kota Iskandar
Government offices


Southernmost point
Southernmost point of Asia


JB tour


Footloose
Crews of OD and Footloose


We left Puteri Harbour marina. It had served us very well and we plan to return. Not disimilar in size to the UK (Lands End to John O Groats 837 miles) the 839 miles we have travelled up the west coast of Malaysia have been somewhat different to what we'd expect travelling north along the west coast of the UK. We rounded the southern-most tip of Asia and headed north through the Melaka Straits, experiencing mainly calm seas, zero wind and dodging many, many fishing nets. It's as if the local fishermen have got it in for yachties and lay their nets right across our path.


Fishing


Boat


Almost everyone we know has picked up a net in their propellor and not wanting to be left out, we managed to do the same. In fact, we were slightly more lucky than some, our uninvited guest wrapped itself around the rudder at the very bottom. We weren't immediately aware of dragging anything behind us and thankfully, it didn't mess with the steerage so it was a matter of a quick dip in the Melaka Straits for First Mate to free it up. We hauled it in the 200m nylon line with sadly no fish, just the occasional plastic basket.

We passed under Penang's new (second) bridge some 24km long and joining Penang Island with the west coast of Malaysia. It's due to open anytime soon but there were set-backs earlier in 2013 due to loss of lives.


Bridge


Turrets


OD nestled into a berth at the Straits Quay marina for a mere £8 per night. With Tesco only a 5 minute walk away, a regular bus service into town and laundry services on our doorstep, we were wooed immediately. The marina complex is owned by Eastern and Oriental Hotels and with just 40 berths, and only 10 allocated to visitors you really do feel you are receiving a personal service.

Georgetown, Penang's capital has an interesting mix of cultures. At only 350m long, Love Lane is often referred to as the 'Street of Harmony'. It houses a church, three Confucian-Buddhist-Taoist temples, two mosques and a Hindu temple giving you an idea of the multicultural and multilingual environment.


Mosque


Flowers
Colourful flowers grown in the cooler climate of Malaysia's Cameron Highlands. Mainly bought as offerings to God.


There's no doubting the streets of Georgetown are chaotic with narrow lanes, a sincere lack of pavements and full of car exhaust fumes but we love it!

The food in Penang is legendary and the streets are lined with stalls or restaurants featuring Indian, Chinese and Malay cuisine. Needless to say, we once again found ourselves in Little India enjoying curries, roti, tandoori and biryani! And managed to avoid this local dish ...


Frog


There are signs of the British Raj-era in the architecture as well as many shutter-clad buildings making for perfect photo opportunities ...


Shutters


Shutters


A recent addition to Penang's sights, is the street-art created by Lithuanian born artist Ernest Zacharevic. We had a great time tracking down just some of his works.....


CHild





Pushbike


Swings


Our trip on the funicular railway to the once fashionable retreat of Penang Hill, provided for cooler temperatures and spectacular views ...


Views


Monkey
Black Monkey, Penang Hill


After 4 nights in Penang, we said our farewells with promises to return and travelled the 60 miles to Langkawi, some 120 miles short of the Thai border. Langkawi is a duty-free island and we're currently anchored at Kuah, the major town and arrival port with plans to stay until the Sail Malaysia Rally arrive on 08 December.
Comments
Vessel Name: Oceans Dream
Vessel Make/Model: Admiral 40 catamaran
Hailing Port: Plymouth, UK
Crew: Adrian & Jackie
About:
Having both worked hard we decided we should enjoy an exciting and challenging retirement whilst we were young enough and fit enough. To realise this dream, we replaced our monohull with an ocean-going liveaboard catamaran. [...]

About Us

Who: Adrian & Jackie
Port: Plymouth, UK