OceansWatch Vanuatu

OceansWatch expedition in Vanuatu

28 September 2009 | Gaua
21 September 2009
14 September 2009
12 September 2009
12 September 2009
12 September 2009
12 September 2009
12 September 2009
12 September 2009 | Luganville, Santo
10 September 2009 | South Malekula
10 September 2009 | Port Sandwich, South Malekul
09 September 2009 | Ambrym Island
09 September 2009 | Port Sandwich, South Malekula
09 September 2009 | Pelonk, Maskylene Island, South Malekula
09 September 2009 | Maskylene Islands, South Malekula
02 September 2009 | Havanah Efate
05 July 2009
14 June 2009 | Opua

Hi everybody !

14 June 2009 | Opua
Natalie
Hello Everyone!

I will just take a minute of your time to tell you what I'm up to this year in Vanuatu with OceansWatch.

Firstly, my name is Natalie Riddler and I am a Sagitarius who enjoys long walks on the beach...no, no NO - how wrong that sounds. Let me start again; Natalie is my name and I sailing to Vanuatu tomorrow to collect data on the state of Vanuatu's coral reefs and fish populations.

Note: It's true, I do enjoy walks along the beach (as a recently qualified marine biologist it's a general personal attribute, however I much prefer to spend my time under the water surface which is what I shall be doing in Vanuatu!).


The Goal

To conduct as many Reef Check surveys as possible. This data is for the Vanuatu Department of Fisheries and Reef Check. Data of fish and invertebrate populations and identifying bleaching of corals, are all important to so that sustainable management can occur nationally and at the community level.


Preparation/Departure

Boat preparation has been long and hard, (this consisted in being covered in Blue anti-fouling paint and being called a 'Smurf' - which can be slightly humiliating at times). To anyone who has ever spent days on end scraping anti-foul layers off a boats hull then I really respect you!! Thanks for eventually getting those electric sanders Chris Larn!


Leaving Today!!!

We are finally departing! It takes about 9 days or so to sail from where we are currently sitting in Opua, Bay of Islands Aoteroa - also known as Land of the Long White Cloud or New Zealand to Port Vila, Efate. Should hopefully be a great sail up. The vessel is Magic Roundabout - a 34 ft yacht.


The Vanuatu Team

Well obviously, there's myself then three other biologists who have kindly donated their time to help out - thanks guys!

- Emily Duder - New Zealander

- Lindsey Deignan - US

- Matt Fynes - UK


Yachties Involved and hosting members

Below are the hosting boats who will be assisting myself and biologists over the season.

A pre-'thank you' is definitely in order as this project would not be possible without their valuable contributions and sacrifices they've made in order work with us on their holidays. Many, many thanks to all of you! We look forward to working with you!

Nathanial and Betsy Warren White aboard their vessel BAHATAI

Isabelle and Han's on their Wharrem catarmaran WAKA TAITEA

David and Gayle Funk on Fifth Season.


I would also like to say thank you to Chris Larn and his valuable contributions and time to Magic Roundabout...unfortunately he has had to leave due to changes back home in the U.K but Thanks for all your help!!!!! With out you we could very well be still on the hard in Whangarei. Thanks!

I will be trying to keep this blog updated weekly about my time in Vanuatu, the people will meet work with and see and the work which will be done. Oh and hopefully some good pics!


All the best for now


Natalie Riddler

Oceanswatch co-ordinator
Comments
Vessel Name: OceansWatch Vanuatu
Vessel Make/Model: Sweden 65
Hailing Port: Whangarei
Crew: Natalie Riddler
About:
Natalie Riddler is a recent graduate in marine and environmental studies. Born in Tauranga, New Zealand, her travels have extended to Brazil where she volunteered with Project Boto, studying fresh water dolphins. [...]

Who: Natalie Riddler
Port: Whangarei