Odyssey adventures

Vessel Name: Odyssey
Vessel Make/Model: Dudley Dix 38
Crew: Liz & Liam
About: An Irish ships captain and Welsh/Chinese accountant, after quiting our jobs we have decided to embark on our adventure aboard our 38ft steel yacht before Liz reaches 30.
Extra:
We acquired Odyssey in October 2014 in the UK. She has been sitting at Haslar marina all winter where we have been preparing for our 18 month voyage. Our plan is to join the ARC+ rally departing the Canaries in November, heading to St. Lucia via Cape Verdes. From there we plan on spending a few [...]
01 May 2016
15 April 2016
28 January 2016
09 January 2016
07 November 2015
07 October 2015
25 September 2015
22 September 2015 | Canaries
20 September 2015
23 August 2015
05 August 2015
30 July 2015 | Galicia
25 July 2015 | A Coruna
25 July 2015 | Brittany
25 July 2015
25 July 2015
12 July 2015 | Penzance
Recent Blog Posts
09 May 2016

Anchorages of the Virgin Islands

We have had a jolly ol' time in the British and US Virgin Islands and here are some, but not all, of our favourite anchorages there. Easy sailing with the next island barely an hour away. Watch out for the inexperienced charter boat, of which there are plenty in the BVIs. Turtles in every bay, swimming [...]

01 May 2016

Jack's story

“Did a car just pull up?” I looked around. The roads were empty, just a couple of bars, their light spilling out onto the beach, illuminating small waves, lapping lacklustre on the white sand. No cars. “We’re right next to the customs office”. I looked around. How many ferry terminals could [...]

15 April 2016

Fay's story

12 Dec – 26 Dec

28 January 2016

Antigua and Monserrat

Antigua

09 January 2016

Windward Caribbean islands

Woken by a rooster crowing, the sounds of waves lapping on a beach and the intermittent whirring of the wind turbine. We've been cruising the Caribbean for a month now and still quite a few islands to visit.

Back to Penzance

12 July 2015 | Penzance
Wednesday 8th July:

A few nights stay and we're well fed from Liz's mum and cousin and other relatives. We've had all the aunts and uncles come to visit, who are now all planning to come to Spain so hopefully we can accommodate them all!

We've explored Penarth, donated to the RNLI which will hopefully give us good luck and good karma alongside the lucky waving cat, the Irish holy water and the lucky dollar.

We've managed to change the bilge pump out hose, after getting Rocky to drive us around 15 different hardware, plumbing, tool shops, and finally the pneumatic factory hidden in the docks looking for the right threaded PVC hose. We've fixed the auto pilot. We've changed the engine electric bilge pump for a new one.

We've even made some money by selling the Raymarine transducer, the Lagun table mount and frame and a needle gun. All very well, as this has made room for the 25kgs of rice, pasta, canned tomatoes and coffee.

Still about 150 things yet to get done on the list though.

Thursday 9th July:

One more purchase of a fuel line at the Chandler and we're off. Firstly with Yeung and Rocky around Cardiff bay. First lap with just the jib out and we're doing one knot to the bay and back. The main goes up so we can test out the 3rd reef and we're up to 3/4 knots. Yeung and Rocky are now going to buy a boat.

We drop them back off at Penarth marina and Liam has one last shower whilst Rocky has a quick lie down as he's feeling a bit high from the Stugeron. And we're off, back through the barrage with a lot more spectators this time.

It's wind over tide and choppy as we're motoring along in the channel's brown murky water. We end up motoring a fair bit as we want to get to Penzance in time for high water.

We haven't pre-prepared any dinner and no one is up for cooking whilst the boat is rolling around so much so we're munching on instant noodles, sweetcorn, biscuits and more instant noodles for Liam.

Not quite in the routine so the night shift is a bit tougher. With all the bopping around, the starboard side saloon is coming apart and the 5 kilo bag of pasta is trying to make it's way out from behind the seat. Good job we stashed the watermelon in the fridge otherwise it would be doing some damage right now.

Friday 10th July:

We're trundling along at an average speed of 5 knots. Making slow progress as the tide turns against us and the speed drops to 2/3 knots.

We can see Cornwall in the distance. Cardiff and it's brown water are gone. There are more Dolphins jumping around.

We're not going to make Penzance in time so we head towards Newlyn next door. The fishing pots are appearing everywhere. The outdoor amphitheatre is packed out for Friday night. Past the familiar lighthouse at Lands End.

No room at the inn so we're anchored outside the entrance to Penzance. The anchor light goes on for the night and we're playing around with the plotter trying to work out the anchor alarm. Bit of a rolly night.

Saturday 11th July:

Anchor ball goes up when it gets light and the anchor light goes off. The wind vane is going mad no matter which setting you have it on.

A bit of frustration with the computer, mainly Liam's inability to work any new software. But we manage to update the electronic charts in the end for Western Europe.

It's 12 noon before we get going into Penzance harbour, via the fuel pontoon, and we're rafted up next to another Halberg Rassey, a Dutch couple this time. So we have to climb over the Dutch yacht, the Belgium yacht, the fishing vessel and the fishery patrol boat to get to shore.

We spend the day spending all our remaining sterling change in the town.

The weather has become Liam's new religion as he is studying it religiously.

The showers here are seemingly luxurious now as we're getting used to the 8 minute £1 showers.

Sunday 12th July:

Another boat rafted alongside us in the night, a British family with 2 young ones who have been cruising around for years.

Toasted bagels and watermelon for breakfast and then back to the job list. We manage to change the fuel return line, secure various things down and hand sew a set of curtains for the saloon. A day's work is now a far cry from the office job or lounging around on the ship with your routine midday captain naps.

Another yacht has joined the party, more Dutch people. So we're now rafted 5th along in a 7 deep raft. No one has lines ashore as no one can get past the fishery patrol ship so we're all nicely swaying back and forth.

Heading for our last pint of English ale now.
Comments
Odyssey's Photos - Main
8 Photos
Created 30 July 2015

About & Links