S/V Odyssey

1979 CSY 44 Walk-Over, center-cockpit, cutter

01 November 2015 | Home in Calabasas
08 July 2015 | Channel Islands Harbor
08 July 2015 | Dana Point Harbor
08 July 2015 | Kona Kai Marina, San Diego Harbor
08 July 2015 | Marina Coral, Ensenada MX
08 July 2015 | Turtle Bay and north
08 July 2015 | Enroute
08 July 2015 | Enroute to Turtle Bay
08 July 2015 | Enroute to Los Cabos
08 July 2015 | Marina De La Paz
25 June 2015 | Marina De La Paz
25 June 2015 | Marina De La Paz
10 June 2015 | Marina De La Paz
07 June 2015 | Marina De La Paz
07 June 2015 | Marina De La Paz
04 June 2015 | Puerto Los Gatos
04 June 2015 | Isla San Francisco at "the Hook" and the north anchorage
04 June 2015 | Isla San Francisco
04 June 2015 | Marina De La Paz, Caleta Lobos

Abandoned Oyster Farm and Ensenada Del Candelero

21 January 2015 | Isla Espiritu Santo
Bill, warm and sunny
01/11/15
The morning dawned clear, with a slight breeze, and dew covering all the horizontal surfaces. What a beautiful day! While the coffee perked I used one of my fake "Sham-Wow" rags to wipe up the dew. The weather is really nice - in the 80s during the day, cooling into the mid-50s at night. The ocean water is about 70 degrees. After breakfast Susan and I went for a long paddleboard trip to see the abandoned oyster farm ruins at the south end of the bay (see the photo in the previous post). Once you got through the narrow opening, it was a large man-made lagoon with rock walls and channels. We went ashore to look around and took some interesting photos, hopefully.

Back on board, we weighed anchor and started motoring to our next destination, Ensenada Del Candelero, about an hour away. We dragged the fishing lures with no luck through glassy waters, passing pink and orange cliffs and islands. We anchored in our usual spot near another sailboat. I took the SUP over to chat with the occupants on board. The owner, Gordon, is a retiree from British Columbia, newly arrived down here by way of the Baja Haha, which is how we arrived here over a year ago. We discussed weather and fishing, and I left him with an invitation to join us later for "Sundowners", which are evening cocktails when aboard.

We gathered our diving stuff and put the dinghy in the water, and headed over the the small island/giant rock pile the gives this place it's name - Candelero (Candlestick). We snorkeled around it, with Susan looking at pretty fish, and me trying to spear something for dinner. She was lucky, but I was not, so no fish for us tonight. We spent the afternoon being lazy. Our neighbor, Gordon, arrived at the appointed time, and we swapped stories about life and fixing boats, under an amazing sunset (pictured). After he left, we wrapped the evening with dinner and a movie. Just as we were turning in, we noticed that a large commercial boat had anchored across the bay from us, and was running its noisy generators. I'm glad they weren't any closer.

Comments
Vessel Name: S/V Odyssey
Vessel Make/Model: Caribbean Sailing Yacht (CSY) 44, W/O
Hailing Port: Ensenada De La Paz, BCS, Mexico
Crew: Bill, Susan, Cody and Kyle and friends
About: Bill and Kyle, along with crew, brought Odyssey to Mexico in November, 2013, with the Baja-Haha. She now lies in La Paz, BCS. Family and friends will come to share experiences in the Sea of Cortez.
Extra: I am planning to cruise the Sea of Cortez for at least a year, and then maybe do the "puddle jump" to the south pacific.
S/V Odyssey's Photos - Main
These are pics from our ten days in La Paz, including 5 nights at anchor.
28 Photos
Created 21 January 2015
Videos from our trips
No Photos
Created 11 July 2014
6 days at the islands, swimming with whale sharks
87 Photos
Created 16 June 2014
Local Islands near La Paz
11 Photos
Created 27 January 2014
La Paz pictures
No Photos
Created 27 January 2014
Assorted pictures of Odyssey.
3 Photos
Created 4 October 2013
Improvements and upgrades of Odyssey
9 Photos
Created 4 October 2013