S/V Odyssey

1979 CSY 44 Walk-Over, center-cockpit, cutter

01 November 2015 | Home in Calabasas
08 July 2015 | Channel Islands Harbor
08 July 2015 | Dana Point Harbor
08 July 2015 | Kona Kai Marina, San Diego Harbor
08 July 2015 | Marina Coral, Ensenada MX
08 July 2015 | Turtle Bay and north
08 July 2015 | Enroute
08 July 2015 | Enroute to Turtle Bay
08 July 2015 | Enroute to Los Cabos
08 July 2015 | Marina De La Paz
25 June 2015 | Marina De La Paz
25 June 2015 | Marina De La Paz
10 June 2015 | Marina De La Paz
07 June 2015 | Marina De La Paz
07 June 2015 | Marina De La Paz
04 June 2015 | Puerto Los Gatos
04 June 2015 | Isla San Francisco at "the Hook" and the north anchorage
04 June 2015 | Isla San Francisco
04 June 2015 | Marina De La Paz, Caleta Lobos

Boat Chores & Waiting for Blanca

07 June 2015 | Marina De La Paz
Bill, cloudy
La Paz Log 5

06/07/15
Since returning from the islands on the 2nd, and dropping Susan at the bus station on the 3rd, a lot has been going on. I have been busy for the last couple of days doing boat chores in preparation for heading back to California, a trip labelled the Baja Bash. It is called the Bash because unlike the trip south along Baja, which has current, waves and wind behind you, the trip back up has all of those conditions working against you. Generally, you are heading directly into the prevailing wind and waves. Leaving in late June might give me a better chance of mild weather, but we will have to see. Along with changing fuels filters, motor oil and filter, transmission fluid, etc., I have been stripping sails, doubling dock lines, and removing all deck clutter in anticipation of the arrival of Hurricane Blanca. This morning the sky is full of water-swollen rain clouds, which appear ready to release their contents at any time. Currently Hurricane Blanca is a category 2 storm with winds of 105mph. It is heading west of us here in La Paz, and should be just a tropical storm with winds below 70mph by the time it is close. We are projected to get winds of less than 50mph, which is very doable in the grand scheme of things. I have 3 DVD movies that I can watch when the weather gets nasty. It is 07:45am now and it is a beautiful morning, with cloudy skies, calm water, and light rain sprinkles. The wind is very slowly increasing from the Southwest. Literally the calm before the storm. We aren't expected to get the heavy winds until later today or tonight. All my friends and I are looking forward to a good rain soaking to rinse the salt residue off of everything. The Marina is at full capacity, as the Port Captain has ordered the boats anchored in the Magote to seek refuge. He is taking no chances after the carnage of Hurricane Odile last year. I have been hanging out with the folks aboard Scout and Sea Witch, which are both air conditioned boats. Nice! More later, if the storm is noteworthy.
Comments
Vessel Name: S/V Odyssey
Vessel Make/Model: Caribbean Sailing Yacht (CSY) 44, W/O
Hailing Port: Ensenada De La Paz, BCS, Mexico
Crew: Bill, Susan, Cody and Kyle and friends
About: Bill and Kyle, along with crew, brought Odyssey to Mexico in November, 2013, with the Baja-Haha. She now lies in La Paz, BCS. Family and friends will come to share experiences in the Sea of Cortez.
Extra: I am planning to cruise the Sea of Cortez for at least a year, and then maybe do the "puddle jump" to the south pacific.
S/V Odyssey's Photos - Main
These are pics from our ten days in La Paz, including 5 nights at anchor.
28 Photos
Created 21 January 2015
Videos from our trips
No Photos
Created 11 July 2014
6 days at the islands, swimming with whale sharks
87 Photos
Created 16 June 2014
Local Islands near La Paz
11 Photos
Created 27 January 2014
La Paz pictures
No Photos
Created 27 January 2014
Assorted pictures of Odyssey.
3 Photos
Created 4 October 2013
Improvements and upgrades of Odyssey
9 Photos
Created 4 October 2013