Waiting for Blanca
10 June 2015 | Marina De La Paz
La Paz Log 5
Since returning from the islands on the 2nd, and dropping Susan at the bus station on the 3rd, a lot has been going on. I have been busy for the last couple of days doing boat chores in preparation for heading back to California, a trip labelled the Baja Bash. It is called the Bash because unlike the trip south along Baja, which has current, waves and wind behind you, the trip back up has all of those conditions working against you. Generally, you are heading directly into the prevailing wind and waves. Leaving in late June might give me a better chance of mild weather, but we will have to see. Along with changing fuels filters, motor oil and filter, transmission fluid, etc., I have been stripping sails, doubling dock lines, and removing all deck clutter in anticipation of the arrival of Hurricane Blanca. This morning the sky is full of water-swollen rain clouds, which appear ready to release their contents at any time. Currently Hurricane Blanca is a category 2 storm with winds of 105mph. It is heading west of us here in La Paz, and should be just a tropical storm with winds below 70mph by the time it is close. We are projected to get winds of less than 50mph, which is very doable in the grand scheme of things. I have 3 DVD movies that I can watch when the weather gets nasty. It is 07:45am now and it is a beautiful morning, with cloudy skies, calm water, and light rain sprinkles. The wind is very slowly increasing from the Southwest. Literally the calm before the storm. We aren't expected to get the heavy winds until later today or tonight. All my friends and I are looking forward to a good rain soaking to rinse the salt residue off of everything. The Marina is at full capacity, as the Port Captain has ordered the boats anchored in the Magote to seek refuge. He is taking no chances after the carnage of Hurricane Odile last year. I have been hanging out with the folks aboard Scout and Sea Witch, which are both air conditioned boats. Nice! More later, if the storm is noteworthy.
Well, the wind howled all night, pushing the boats around and putting lots of stress on the rigs. I was told that we had gust over 60mph. This morning the wind was still going strong under a cloudy sky. Everywhere I looked there was a fine layer of dust. It covered each boat, inside and out. I ran some errands as the wind slowly wound down, and was finally able to wash Odyssey in the afternoon. I'm trying to get things squared away before my two friends, John and brad, show up tomorrow. So much to do! My friends aboard Scout next door are chomping at the bit to flee the Marina and begin their own bash back up to the USA. Blanca has stalled a lot of sailors who hoped to be on their way home by now. Hopefully, they will get out tomorrow.