2 clueless day skippers with Patience

Old Haunts and New places.

17 July 2019
Donna Smith
Coming back (again) to Messolonghi, where we spent a cold Winter,(2016-1017) tied up to a pontoon in the marina and a few nights at anchor,on route to the Aegean, felt a bit defeatist, like being a boomerang, rather than intrepid explorer sailors. That said, it really is the best strategic place to stop between the two seas. This time it was a whistle stop, we didn't even call in at the Marina Bar to be snubbed by Bellasconi (Remember the beautiful black and white marina cat, who made like we were best friends during the winter.) He managed to wangle his way into our hearts and slept most nights on one of Ricky's sweaters, snuggled under the spray hood. He even bought us a present of a tiny bird one afternoon. Traitor! How easily we were conned, how easily he moved on. Which, I guess, for the survival of a Marina cat is probably the only way to be.

We did however meet up again with the crew of Elmo, plus one. I say 'plus one' because Sarah announced that her and Matthias were having a baby! Very exciting news, so we wish all three of them well.

Sunday 7th July 2019
We decided that the island of Kastos, would be our next destination. It is a small, thin island that sits south of the larger island of Kalamos, where we previously anchored and were greeted by swarms of wasps. We have not visited this island before, so hoped that this had more insects of the pretty winged variety than the yellow and black striped jersey brigade. The island, as with Kalamos, sits between the mainland and the island of Meganisi. We had heard there were some beautiful snorkling anchorages, (with fish - yay), so optimistically, we headed out of Messalonghi and after a great sail found an anchorage on the South East side. Sadly there were too many boats and those who had already found a great spot (I'm alright Jack) stood up in their cockpits like meer cats as if to say 'Don't you drop your anchor near me.' Up until now we had never experienced this animosity, it wasn't nice. When we did finally find a space and let our anchor go we were aggressively challenged by a French chap on a very posh 47 foot Benateau Yacht. We were definitely not too close, but this is supposed to be fun! - so, deciding not to retaliate, we lifted our anchor, smiled and headed back to the mainland. This island would have to be visited another time.

The anchorage we found on the mainland didn't disappoint, so all was not lost. It was just off the beach at Mitika Harbour, a far less pretentious place, little effected by tourism. Local families were cooling off in the sea, laughing and joking and the yachties already there greeted us with a wave and smile as we pootled around to find a good spot to anchor. To top it all the calm atmosphere and view of the steep rocky (other) side of Kalamos Island, minus the snotty unwelcoming yachties was wonderful. They did us a favour.
Comments
Vessel Name: Patience
Vessel Make/Model: Moody376
Hailing Port: Haslar , Gosport , England
Crew: Ricky and Donna
About: 2023 Still clueless , but having fun !
Patience's Photos - Main
Having fun with Gormley’s statues , whilst soaking up the history of the Ancient site of Delos with Debs and Gordon
10 Photos
Created 6 July 2019
Sad times as evidence is piling up on our shores confirming that we are not looking after our planet.
4 Photos
Created 1 June 2019
Look and you may see
6 Photos
Created 19 April 2019
4 Photos
Created 21 October 2016
10 Photos
Created 29 September 2015
10 Photos
Created 29 September 2015
8 Photos
Created 27 July 2015
12 Photos
Created 17 May 2015
8 Photos
Created 31 December 1969