2 clueless day skippers with Patience

Home again - last blog for 2022 with the Orkadians !

08 October 2022
Donna Smith
The sailing season has come to an end, although as we touched down at Stansted Airport, the sunshine made us feel that perhaps, for a while at least, we wouldn't miss the Mediterranean weather too much.

I can't believe that we have actually been home for 19 days and I still haven't finished writing this post. Shame on me !! To be honest since arriving home, thinking about our sailing holiday has been replaced with thinking about chasing plumbers , carpenters and electricians to finish the jobs they started before we left. That said, I have decided to sit down this afternoon and ignore the fact that my water is currently switched off and write ...

After saying goodbye to Lydie and Liv, we spent some time buddy sailing with Jim on his boat Nanjo. We got caught out in some challenging wind, but it is always a joy to hang out with Jim . He is a very experienced sailor, great fun, oh .. and is really really talented at making art from driftwood! (Clever sod!!) We met him in Messalonghi marina during the winter of 2016 and have remained great friends ever since. See you next year Jim!

We headed up to Corfu to meet Ricky's sister Kim and two nieces Alex and Jess. They had travelled all the way from The Orkney Islands , so by my reconning must be keen .They had booked a hotel, but we were optimistic that we would be able to get them onboard to enjoy some sailing.

We sailed the boat into the bay near their hotel and their first experience was the trip from the shore, back to Patience in the dinghy. After that sailing Patience was a doddle. They soon got their sea legs and all had a turn helming. We persuaded Alex and Jess to stay one night with us and let mum have an evening to herself at the hotel. We stayed in Mandraki marina on Corfu. It was a bit windy and rainy, but as the photo shows the girls hunkered down in the saloon and both said they'd love to come and stay in the boat next year. Girls - we would love to have you!

We had a great day together at the water park - Kim and I even dared to go on a few of the faster rides, not just the lazy river (our favourite.) Uncle Ricky of course challenged the girls to go on every one, which of course the 3 of them did, rushing from one ride to the other like kids at a zoo, trying to decide what animal to go and look at next .

Kim stayed onboard one night too. We were heading back to Corfu after a day sail, when we realised that if the girls stayed with us, anchored in Iggy Creek on the mainland, we could drop them them off at Igoumitsa to get the ferry back to Corfu in the morning.

We sadly had to leave them earlier than we had hoped as the weather was ominous. We needed to leave ourselves enough time to get back to Preveza in time for our lift out of the water into the boatyard. We spent a few days hiding from storms that didn't come, but as any sailor will tell you, accidents happened at sea when you don't allow yourself enough time to travel to your next destination. Going out in a storm because you have to, in order to make a deadline, is not fun! Believe me we've done it.

At least Ricky caught another tuna on the last sail from Corfu to the mainland. He also caught a a beautiful dolphin fish that got away at the back of the boat as Ricky was trying to land it . Must admit, I was a bit pleased, as they really are too beautiful to catch, even if they get put back.

We spent the last few days in the boatyard. cleaning boat, washing bedding, putting sails away and packing away for winter. Always a time of mixed feelings, sad to be leaving boat but excited to see family and friends.

Goodbye Patience,
See you in 2023

Comments
Vessel Name: Patience
Vessel Make/Model: Moody376
Hailing Port: Haslar , Gosport , England
Crew: Ricky and Donna
About: 2023 Still clueless , but having fun !
Patience's Photos - Main
Having fun with Gormley’s statues , whilst soaking up the history of the Ancient site of Delos with Debs and Gordon
10 Photos
Created 6 July 2019
Sad times as evidence is piling up on our shores confirming that we are not looking after our planet.
4 Photos
Created 1 June 2019
Look and you may see
6 Photos
Created 19 April 2019
4 Photos
Created 21 October 2016
10 Photos
Created 29 September 2015
10 Photos
Created 29 September 2015
8 Photos
Created 27 July 2015
12 Photos
Created 17 May 2015
8 Photos
Created 31 December 1969