Sailing Offbeat (2016-2018)

Offbeat in ARC+ Cape Verdes 2018. For our current adventures and new boat see www.sailingoffbeat.com

La Coruna to Rio Muros - did we get our nav wrong?

29 August 2018 | Muxia
The trip from La Coruna down to the Ria Muros felt more like cruising the Channel in February than Spain in August.

A small group of British yachts ventured out of La Coruna on Monday morning into a heavy sea mist (later a real fog) and no wind. Fortunately the latest 4G radars are much better than previous generations and we could easily identify local fishing boats without AIS from a couple of miles away. It’s vital to maintain a good lookout and we always had a couple of pairs of eyes out of the boat and one glued to the radar as we motored along the coast.

About 2 hours into the day the breeze picked up to 12-14kts with occasional gusts around 20kts and the visibility improved to about one mile allowing us to sail quickly down to Muxía in the Ria Camarinas.

We expected to get sheltered from the breeze as we rounded the headland into the Ria but instead we had a massive blast of wind up to 34kts. We bore away slightly onto a broad reach and hit a new top speed for the voyage of 13.4kts boat speed. Within minutes the wind dropped to 10kts, we dropped the sails and went into Muxía marina.

Muxia is a quiet town, the marina even quieter. There is one very helpful member of staff who came to take our lines, she also assigns the berths and also mans the adjacent Shell petrol station!!

We had great meal ashore and the following morning a trip to the marker yielded a great collection of cheeses for the lunch.

Unfortunately Tuesday’s weather was no improvement. Very poor visibility, the wind backed south meaning a beat for the first 10miles and, to our horror, drizzle!

We sailed 30miles down the coast, round Cap Finisterra (we just caught a glimpse of the rocks but couldn’t even see the headland or lighthouse through the low cloud) and then down to the Ria Muros.

We’d decided to anchor overnight and dropped the hook in the first bay (Ensenada San Francisco) very close to a sandy beach and small town. The bay has a number of fish farms to avoid on the entrance but once in we found a sandy patch to anchor in about 6 metres or water. Only one other yacht around, a 42’ Balticat. Anne-Laure and Tara bravely ventured in for a first swim!

A peaceful end to the day was enlivened by watching West Ham beat Wimbledon 3-1 on our iPad, a first win after 3 defeats! We hoped for a similar improvement in the weather in the morning!
Comments
Vessel Name: Offbeat
Vessel Make/Model: Nautitech Open 46 (2016-2018)
Hailing Port: See www.sailingoffbeat.com for the new boat and our latest adventures.
Crew: David, Anne-Laure, Lucy, Mike and Sarah
About: See www.sailingoffbeat.com for the new boat and our latest adventures.
Extra: Offbeat was a Nautitech Open 46 sailing catamaran which took part in the 2018 ARC+Cape Verde crewed by David, Anne-Laure, Lucy, Mike and Sarah.
Social:
Offbeat's Photos - Main
2 Photos
Created 18 December 2018
11 Photos
Created 28 November 2018
3 Photos
Created 7 October 2018
Modifications to Offbeat for ocean sailing and blue water cruising
2 Photos
Created 7 October 2018
5 Photos
Created 6 October 2018
Jean-Pierre Dick's amazing JP54. See http://www.jpdick-yachts.com/
4 Photos
Created 3 October 2018
5 Photos
Created 26 August 2018
Offbeat in Solent
3 Photos
Created 18 August 2018