Kama Hele

19 April 2012
02 March 2012 | Marathon FL
02 February 2012 | Marathon FL
19 January 2012
17 January 2012 | Someplace not far from Marco Island, not too sure where
09 January 2012 | Englewood
08 January 2012 | Sarasota Bay
07 January 2012 | Tampa Bay
06 January 2012 | Tarpon Springs, FL
31 December 2011 | Cedar Key
29 December 2011 | Steinhatchee... Again.
26 December 2011 | Stienhatchee FL
21 December 2011 | St. Marks FL
17 December 2011 | St. Marks, FL
13 December 2011
03 December 2011 | NAS Pensacola
24 November 2011 | Grand Mariner Marina, Mobile AL
20 November 2011
20 November 2011 | Tensas River, Alabama

And we're off! Well... No... Not really.

29 December 2011 | Steinhatchee... Again.
Annakah / 65 and sunny!
Today was the day we'd planned on getting out of Steinhatchee. We ventured out into the channel, and part of the way through, my dad felt vibrations from the boat that weren't normal. He'd tightened a coupling on the engine and replaced the packing yesterday, and we'd run the engine at cruise speed (still tied to the dock) to run the packing in. I guess that when he tightened the coupling, he either didn't tighten it enough or tightened it too much. I don't know. Whatever the case may be, it caused the vibrating, and we had to turn around and head back to the dock. By the time we got back (the short forray into the channel and then heading back around took nearly two hours) it would have been too late for my dad to fix the coupling and then get us running again so that we could head out, again. So, we are back. Again.
However, we have good weather through Sunday (Y'all keep prayin for good weather!) so we'll be able to leave tomorrow morning.
I don't know when my next post will be, so wish us luck in our travels!
Love,
Annakah on Kama Hele

Dirt dwellers: Packing is sort of a cotton hard-packed into a ring-shape, and packed around the propeller shaft at the point where the shaft exits the hull underwater. The shaft is what the propeller is attached to. This substance (it's not always cotton; apparently there are hemp, aramid, teflon, and asbestos rings, too) keeps water out of the boat while allowing the propeller to turn on the shaft.
A coupling alters the vibrations of the shafts' rotation. (I actually didn't know what that was, I had to cheat and use Wikipedia. There goes the hope that I'm secretly a mechanical genius.)
Comments
Vessel Name: Kama Hele
Vessel Make/Model: Litton Trawler
Hailing Port: Chattanooga, TN
Crew: Kevin, Lori, Annakah, Aspen, and Lilo
About: My name is Annakah, and I'm a 17 year old girl living on a trawler with my parents, little sister, and dog. Join me as I write about our adventures in our new life, living aboard Kama Hele.
Extra: We are currently on the way down the river systems, heading to the Florida Keys! Kama Hele is Hawaiian for "The Traveler." W saw that it fit pretty well for a traveling family like ours.

Ohana on Kama Hele!

Who: Kevin, Lori, Annakah, Aspen, and Lilo
Port: Chattanooga, TN