13 June 2010
13 June 2010 | Chesapeake Bay, MD
18 August 2009
14 August 2009 | Portland
14 August 2009 | Cottage Grove, OR
14 August 2009 | Waterfront Portland
14 July 2009 | Potomac River , VA
14 July 2009 | St Mary's Village
14 July 2009 | Omarsea HomeSchool
14 July 2009 | Horseshoe Cove
14 July 2009 | Annapolis MD
14 July 2009 | Maryland
14 July 2009 | St Mary's State house
14 July 2009 | St Mary's MD
16 June 2009
30 May 2009 | North Carolina
30 May 2009 | North Carolina
30 May 2009 | Carolina Beach, NC

Paying the price to keep the Dream Alive

13 June 2010
2010: With so many things to fix it's hard to know where to begin. The Omarsea is 16 this year. Thats like being 75 to you and me. She bears her age well but that does still mean there are items that must be examined before she goes back into the water.
Among the big items on my list are the drving forces. The engine with an excess of 9000 hours is slated for rebuild and this will happen later this year as I get free time from the house projects. The Shaft prop and cutlass bearing will be examined closely and replaced as needed.
The rudder shows signs of the excessive forces applied during our time in the Caribbean. Stress cracks and corrosion will be tested for signs of weakness and new parts fabricated.
One of the big items on my plate will be re-tabbing the wooden interior bulkheads to the hull again. Over the spring of 2008 we experienced excessive seas on the bow and the aging tabs failed in a couple of places.
In a previous photo I placed on the blog is shown the keel encased in epoxy. This same keel in Bonaire grew sponges some 2' long and attracted so many fish the Omarsea became a favorite night dive destination. We ofetn were awaken by divers right under the hull taking photos of the fish, sponges and keel. Their noisy bubbles bursting on the hull.
We fought back valiently though. The kids would leap from their bunks fighting to be the first to the stereo. We have large speakers in the hull that when the theme music from the movie "Jaws" is played creates havoc among the diving demons. Take that !
Comments
Vessel Name: OmarSea
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanus 510
Hailing Port: Oregon
Crew: Scott, Jean, Ben, Julianna & Stephen
About: We invite you to join us for adventure aboard our floating classroom where our mates Ben, Julianna and Stephen will be learning first hand about our wonderful planet.

S/V OmarSea

Who: Scott, Jean, Ben, Julianna & Stephen
Port: Oregon