Living the Dream

Buying a yacht in Italy, sailing the MED, and then sailing slowly back home to New Zealand

06 November 2018
24 October 2018
18 October 2018
11 October 2018
30 September 2018
30 September 2018
29 September 2018
28 September 2018
26 September 2018
25 September 2018
25 September 2018
25 September 2018
14 September 2018 | Rethymno lighthouse over looking the marina
13 September 2018 | Over looking the Venetian harbour and Egyptian lighthouse -Rethymno Crete
13 September 2018 | Dhia Island anchorage - North of Crete
10 September 2018 | Spinalongia Fort
07 September 2018 | Tzermiado- Crete
04 September 2018 | Agios Nicholas - Crete

Rethymno- Chania Crete

14 September 2018 | Rethymno lighthouse over looking the marina
We walked into town to hairdressers, have appointment tomorrow at 11am great hair getting long now.
Had a great look around the perimeter of the old town and went into the fort, a big imposing place, very interesting with mosque and church depicting the different eras of the town, we then weaved our way back through the little streets to the marina, decided to stay again tomorrow as this place is very nice and we want to get a few things done before leaving for Malta.
An amazing sunset behind the clouds tonight, still very warm and sticky. New neighbours from Britain on one side and on the end of the big pier the New Zealanders we met in Marmaris marina eariler this year, also Russians on a large 57 Jeannau.


Had a good chat to Del and Chell from Rayon Vert ,( NZ) they are not sure if they are going to go across the Atlantic early next year, they had a terrible couple of days in Iraklion and Chell was pretty fed up, also woken early in the morning by a drunk man screaming and carrying on outside their boat, they ended up calling the police.
We had a lazy day and I got my hair cut and we stocked up on some groceries for the next few days. Put half the netting up around the boat. This has been a really nice stop, the marina facilities are not up to much, never used the toilets and showers, they cost 50 cents, but the whole place is well worth coming to we paid 13 euro a night for our 15.25 metre yacht so a good deal, its very sheltered as you are inside a large protected harbour then behind another large wall.

On sunday we took off about 11am. Motored until an hour before we arrived into the Bay of Milati sailed for that time with genoa 6 knots. This is a military zone so you need to follow the areas carefully with the chart. Anchored off the beach in 5 metres of clear blue water, lots of people swimming and some small boats around. Did the washing, made scones and Kelvin fixing the bow thruster, we worked out after deduction it was because the batteries weren't giving enough power. So Kelvin got out the generator battery, with the jumper leads to boost it up, all working well, we stopped for cup of tea and scone and smelt something burning the jumper leads had melted some of the plastic cover of the battery and now had flames coming from it , quickly doused it with the fire extinguisher and Kelvin has a small burn on his leg from the plastic sticking to it. All in all a frightening experience, not one to be repeated. Aired the whole boat out and hopefully will be able to sleep in their tonight.

Very rolly night at anchor decided to move to Chania and got a berth in the harbour, not a fantastic place for yachts, but interestingly the entrance is really rolly and swelly and we surfed into the harbour and anchored and tied up next to a french boat. Had a look around town, very nice, getting ready for trip to Malta.
This place grows on you, the harbour is a bit washy and they dont have much in way of facilities, we used our own toilet and shower, they do have them behind the coastguard office. Spent a few days here, getting things sorted and resting for trip to Malta.
Met up again with Ola from Sola, he was waiting for his son to arrive on saturday.
Went to check out of Greece, coastgaurd was very helpful, he also went to great lengths to tell us how thankful the people of Crete are for New Zealands help in the war, he said we are brothers and they will do anything to help us. We were supposed to leave our transit log at Souda Bay customs, but they will send it on for us. We then had to visit the police, he said he would drive us there, but they had had 2 drownings off the beach last night and the cars were being used to bring the relatives into town. We got a taxi to police station after much discussion they said we don't need a stamp. We walked back and past the market place, a mini minor of grand bazaar. Got a few supplies and back to the boat. Our French next door neighbour told us about his previous boat and how in the 1980's he was crossing the red sea, when he hit a reef and his boat sank, leaving him with his clothes and passport, he was picked up by a Rib from an oil tanker and then ended up in jail as the Egyptians thought he was a spy!!!
Vessel Name: ONDINA
Vessel Make/Model: 2007 Beneteau Cyclades 50
Hailing Port: Picton, New Zealand
Crew: Caroline & Kelvin
About:
Both retired early at 53 and now intend sailing Ondina back to New Zealand over the next 5 years. [...]

Who: Caroline & Kelvin
Port: Picton, New Zealand