S/V Adventure

Follow the O'Neil family, sailing in their Catalina 42, on their 2-year sabbatical to see the Pacific coast of the US, Mexico, and Central America, Galapagos, the South Pacific, and New Zealand.

08 June 2012 | Home
05 June 2012 | 100 miles to the Farallons!
02 June 2012 | 475 miles off the coast
31 May 2012 | 579 miles to go
30 May 2012 | 694 miles to go
30 May 2012 | 800 miles to go
29 May 2012 | 915 miles off California
28 May 2012 | Past halfway between Hawaii and SF
27 May 2012 | Past halfway between Hawaii and SF
26 May 2012 | Halfway between Hawaii and SF
24 May 2012 | Middle of the Pacific Ocean
23 May 2012 | Middle of the Pacific Ocean
22 May 2012 | Middle of the Pacific Ocean
21 May 2012 | Middle of the Pacific Ocean
20 May 2012 | Pacific Gyre
16 May 2012 | Pacific Gyre
16 May 2012 | Pacific
18 September 2011 | Home
07 September 2011 | Crossing the southern tip of the big island
05 September 2011 | Pacific

The knight's quest - Part 3

29 August 2011 | Pacific
Sean
Just then a chariot that only sits 4 pulls over in front of our weary knights. Man who's name we can't pronounce: Hi! My wife said you guys need some help. Can I give you a ride somewhere? Sir Sean: Sir! We are on a noble quest to announce ourselves to the great people of this land. Sir Stan: And get some water. Sir Sean: Yes! And get some water. Do you know of such a place that dispenses substance needed for life? We have heard that it's at a place called J&B. Man who's name we can't pronounce: Sure! Get in! I will take you. Sir Timothy: How far is it? Man who's name we can't pronounce: Not Far. And so the knights now have a new member join their quest. One versed in the ways of the land and a chariot to carry them. The knights then begin their trek to J&B for water on the path "Not Far." They travel for 10 minutes, 20 minutes. They notice that a man is talking on the radio and appears very upset. We are told that the man is part of their fine country's parliament and is talking about the future of their land. Our guide is very conscientious and uses his turn indicator on his chariot every chance he can. He pulls to the middle of the row because there's a child walking on the road - he uses the indicator; he pulls back to the side of the road - he uses the indicator. And, thus, our fine companions finally arrive at their destination after 30 minutes. J&B is owned by an American and is the size of a modest AM/PM. Our heroes approach the counter person. Sir Sean: Fine lady! We have come a great distance because we have heard that you may have what we need to complete our quest. Fine lady smiles sheepishly and then quickly walks away. Knights look at each other confused. Sir Sean: What did I say? Sir Timothy: Look! On hither! Dinty Moore! A new lady appears. Sir Sean: [decides to keep it more simple this time] We seek water. The new lady shows the 1.5 liter bottles of water. Sir Sean: This is no doubt what we are looking for Fine Lady, but do you have larger containers? And so our knights begin loading the fine chariot with 132, 1.5 liter, bottles of water. Upon completion a quick evaluation of the chariot is made. Sir Sean: Sir Timothy - do you think she'll make it? Sir Timothy: It'll take a miracle. And so our heroes load into the chariot only to find that it is now overloaded and will not move without destroying said wheels. And so 60 bottles are removed. Funds running short, the Dinty Moore will also have to wait for another time.

A long journey is made back to the one from Immigration. More mean talking on the radio and lots of opportunities for the Man Who's Name We Can't Pronounce to use his turn indicator.

Back at Immigration: Sir Sean: Fine Sir! We have accomplished your second task. Sir Timothy show this fine gentleman our proof. Immigration officer looks at ticket unimpressed. Immigration Officer: It'll be 40 dollars per person. Sir Sean: But kind sir, we are only here for but 3 days. Immigration Officer: I'm sorry, it's the rules. Sir Stan: I think once you pay this amount Sir Sean, that we'll have an unlimited pass to all the rides. Sir Sean pulls out 120 dollars but is admonished for this by the one from Immigration. It turns out that you must walk to another building and pay there. The knights cross the way and pay 120 dollars as an entrance fee to this new land. The lady that takes the money give Sir Sean a look that screams, "Sir, I do not find you funny or humorous in any way." Our knights go back to immigration to show their receipt. Immigration Officer: You need to go to Customs now. Sir Sean: Gladly sir, if you will be so kind as to point the way on the path "Not Far." Immigration Officer: It's next door. Sir Sean: Oh! Then we'll be on our way then. Our knights quickly enter the Customs office, but there is no one there. Our knights go back to Immigration, and then back to Customs until finally someone from Customs shows up. Sir Sean: Kind sir, we are on a quest - Customs Officer: You're on the yacht? Sir Sean: It is as you say sir. Customs Officer: It'll be 20 dollars. Our knights try to pay and are admonished again that they need to pay at the other building. They walk, again, back to the other building and beckon the payment lady to write another receipt. Our knights once again walk back to immigration. Immigration Officer: Have you been to the Port Authority? The knights look at each other bewildered. They have spent the whole day being directed by the Immigration Officer and he wants to know if they've been to the Port Authority. Sir Sean: I'm sorry kind sir, we are not familiar with your ways. We will seek out this Port Authority and return. The knights then call their guide and board his chariot only to travel 15 minutes down the path "Not Far." Upon arriving the chariot is stopped at a partially open gate and a sleeping security guard. Native tongues now exchange pleasantries. After 3 minutes of talk we are waved through the partially open gate. Here, the knights find themselves surrounded by empty ship containers and other metal appliances that look as if they haven't worked for some time. Our guide takes us to one lonely shack in the middle of the fenced area and tells us which door to enter. Sir Sean: Fine Sir! We are knights that have traveled far and wide - Harbor Master: You guys on the yacht? Sir Sean: It is as you say sir. Harbor Master: It'll just be 50 dollars. Sir Sean begrudgingly takes out 50 dollars thinking that he may have to travel back to the lady of the receipts, but the Harbor Master shows pity to the foolish knights and allows them to pay at the office. The knights load into the chariot and request to once again go back to immigration. After 15 minutes they arrive confident that they have completed all of their tasks.

Sir Sean: Sir! We have accomplished all of your tasks, please announce us to your land and give us your mark on our entrusted documents. Immigration Officer talks to Quarantine Officer in native tongue. Quarantine Officer: We need to board your boat. Sir Sean: Sir! Surely you jest! We are here for only 3 days! Quarantine Officer: Do you have any rats on board? Sir Sean: I can assure you sir, we have no rats, or any other rodents. Quarantine Officer: Well, we still need to board your boat. I have to get a Police Officer to accompany me. Where is the yacht? Sir Sean: Our vessel is outside the pass sir. I'm am more than willing to transport you in our small boat. Quarantine Officer: It'll hold all of us? Sir Sean: Nay sir! Tis a small boat and can accommodate at most 4 individuals. The Quarantine Officer begins talking to the one from Immigration, who now wants to come. The talking is lively. Immigration Officer: You need to move your yacht so that it is closer. Sir Sean loses it! Nay Sir! That will not be happening. Immigration Officer: It's too far away and we'll get wet. You need to move the yacht into the pass. Sir Sean [ face turning red]: NAY SIR! THAT WILL NOT BE HAPPENING! The VESSEL WILL STAY WHERE SHE IS. Look! We have completed all of your tasks and we're are weary. We have not eaten since the sun set the previous day. Please, be reasonable. Quarantine Officer: You haven't eaten yet? Sir Sean: No! And we will not eat until we have your mark on our entrusted documents! Quarantine Officer: Where is the small boat? Sir Sean: Oh! It's close by. Quarantine Officer: About how far is your yacht? Sir Sean: [smiles, and tells a small white lie] Not Far. And so the Police Officer and Quarantine Officer travel to Adventure verify that there are no rats and charge Sir Sean 50 dollars to remove all is garbage. Sir Sean does his best to prevent the Quarantine Officer and Police Officer from getting wet, but is unsuccessful. Sir Stan and Sir Timothy wait patiently for Sir Sean to return. In the end, the entrusted documents are marked with their seal and all is right with the world. Sir Sean, Sir Timothy, and Sir Stan then deliver their water to Adventure just before sunset. The Man Who's Name We Can't Pronounce proves to be extremely helpful over the next 2 days in helping the knights accomplish all their required tasks.
Comments
Vessel Name: Adventure
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 42
Hailing Port: Marina Bay, Richmond CA
Crew: The O'Neil Family
About: Sean (Captain and Line Man) Kathy (Helmswoman and Cook) Tara - 12 years old at trip start, Casey - 11 years old at trip start (Crew and Students)
Extra: We're on a three-year sabbatical from the daily grind to see the Pacific coast of the US, Mexico, Central America and the South Pacific and stopping at New Zealand.

S/V Adventure

Who: The O'Neil Family
Port: Marina Bay, Richmond CA