S/V Adventure

Follow the O'Neil family, sailing in their Catalina 42, on their 2-year sabbatical to see the Pacific coast of the US, Mexico, and Central America, Galapagos, the South Pacific, and New Zealand.

08 June 2012 | Home
05 June 2012 | 100 miles to the Farallons!
02 June 2012 | 475 miles off the coast
31 May 2012 | 579 miles to go
30 May 2012 | 694 miles to go
30 May 2012 | 800 miles to go
29 May 2012 | 915 miles off California
28 May 2012 | Past halfway between Hawaii and SF
27 May 2012 | Past halfway between Hawaii and SF
26 May 2012 | Halfway between Hawaii and SF
24 May 2012 | Middle of the Pacific Ocean
23 May 2012 | Middle of the Pacific Ocean
22 May 2012 | Middle of the Pacific Ocean
21 May 2012 | Middle of the Pacific Ocean
20 May 2012 | Pacific Gyre
16 May 2012 | Pacific Gyre
16 May 2012 | Pacific
18 September 2011 | Home
07 September 2011 | Crossing the southern tip of the big island
05 September 2011 | Pacific

California Adventure

04 April 2007 | Disneyland
We woke up at 7 am. Tired, we all climbed out of our beds and got our shower bags. We went to the showers (only one of the two showers worked) and with Tara taking the first shower, it took us a good hour to take showers. My mother and I went to go get our Disneyland tickets (one day at D-land and one day at California Adventure) from my mom's cousin, Barry.

We got the tickets and headed back to the boat to pick up Tara and my dad, then off to California Adventure. We went to my mom's favorite ride, California Screamin'... just kidding. But we really did try to go to my mom's favorite ride, Soaring Over California. It was a ninety-minute wait; we were not going in that line. "Let's go get a fast pass," my mother suggested. We got in line for the fast passes; 2:35-3:35 it was now 10:00. "Ok," my mom says, "lets ride this ride." She is the scared type and won't even go on the Ferris wheel, so this was a big jump because the one she pointed to was a big water ride with a wolf it was called the Grizzly River Run. It looked scary. Tara wouldn't go on it. "Come on Tara," my mother tried to trick her into coming. "Fine," she said and we were lost in the forty-minute wait.

Finally our turn, a fairly old lady and three of what looked like her grandchildren where in the raft with us. We listened to the announcements say, " (Nice ladies voice) Please keep your hands, legs, head, and body inside the raft at all times (switches to Australian man) so we can do some serious rafting, (Nice ladies voice again) Please have fun and watch your kids, enjoy the ride." After listening to that in the Spanish version too I got board as we slowly drifted. Yes, finally, we were now going up a big hill. Tara was mad and yelling "I can't believe you made me do this" (after all according to Newton's theory what goes up must come down). We get to the top of the hill and go down a little bit then on the track again. "phew" Tara sighed.

As we went through the cave and water splashed on us, the anticipation got to Tara "A hill?! Oh phew. NO, that really is a hill." I see her fingers tighten around the wheel and take a deep breath for a scream and close her eyes. She screamed as loud as she possibly could, making everyone in the whole park hear her and everyone in her raft go deaf. As we went down in the small dip. Water splashed up on my sister's back and she started laughing. Then the old lady with us said, "that wasn't even the big hill." Her three granddaughters smiled and Tara's smile slid to a frown. After getting splashed several times, we got to the big hill. We bumped the raft next to us and the people in it fell with a scream. Tara saw a possible exit, some stairs, but didn't move. Her knuckles went white the next raft came around and bumped us. We where falling. Even though Tara made us all deaf the first time, we could still hear her screaming. We got to the end of the hill and Tara's first reaction was, "lets go again!"

After walking around the park confused and not knowing where to go, we ran into the Coen's. A family whose two boys used to go to our Montessori school in Cameron Park. After chatting for a while, we said goodbye and went to the Corndog Castle. The line was long, so Tara and I went on some rides while my parents got us food. After eating our corndogs, we split up. Tara and I went on the swings and saw the Sindell's, friends from our old church in Cameron Park. After talking with them, we rode the Farris wheel. The swinging carts were more fun than the regular ones. After a couple more rides we went to the water ride again 4 more times, soaked and cold we saw the Electric Light Parade and then watched the fire works in the nice warm car.
Comments
Vessel Name: Adventure
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 42
Hailing Port: Marina Bay, Richmond CA
Crew: The O'Neil Family
About: Sean (Captain and Line Man) Kathy (Helmswoman and Cook) Tara - 12 years old at trip start, Casey - 11 years old at trip start (Crew and Students)
Extra: We're on a three-year sabbatical from the daily grind to see the Pacific coast of the US, Mexico, Central America and the South Pacific and stopping at New Zealand.

S/V Adventure

Who: The O'Neil Family
Port: Marina Bay, Richmond CA