S/V Adventure

Follow the O'Neil family, sailing in their Catalina 42, on their 2-year sabbatical to see the Pacific coast of the US, Mexico, and Central America, Galapagos, the South Pacific, and New Zealand.

08 June 2012 | Home
05 June 2012 | 100 miles to the Farallons!
02 June 2012 | 475 miles off the coast
31 May 2012 | 579 miles to go
30 May 2012 | 694 miles to go
30 May 2012 | 800 miles to go
29 May 2012 | 915 miles off California
28 May 2012 | Past halfway between Hawaii and SF
27 May 2012 | Past halfway between Hawaii and SF
26 May 2012 | Halfway between Hawaii and SF
24 May 2012 | Middle of the Pacific Ocean
23 May 2012 | Middle of the Pacific Ocean
22 May 2012 | Middle of the Pacific Ocean
21 May 2012 | Middle of the Pacific Ocean
20 May 2012 | Pacific Gyre
16 May 2012 | Pacific Gyre
16 May 2012 | Pacific
18 September 2011 | Home
07 September 2011 | Crossing the southern tip of the big island
05 September 2011 | Pacific

We're back!

11 June 2008 | Hana Moe Noa, Tahuata
Sean
Hello Everyone!

We're finally out of Hiva Oa - which we call "The Jail!" The town is too far, the water is murky, and the anchorage is really rolly. After being trapped by a boat on our stern and bow, we decided it was time to go.

We've been dark for 3 days because our monitor for the ship's computer went out. This caused me to go to back up systems that haven't been touched in 18 months. They were a mess and I've been having trouble finding all the drivers and such. Another cruiser in our anchorage had an old monitor, so we should be okay until we get someplace to replace our broken monitor.

Kathy's weekly boring blog has more details. Here's a quick recap of the last few days.

We're finally out of Hiva Oa. After near killing myself on a super hike with another cruiser that had highlights of me sleeping near the summit under a bed of ferns; hiking at 2 am under 25 knot gusts of wind and rain on muddy ridges around 3000 feet. We walked for 23 out of 30 hours. It's a hike everyone should have to do once. I'm finally starting to recover. My knees were very sore for a few days and I had some pretty good cuts and scrapes on my hands and legs. For those of you wondering... Yes, we did get lost. Yes, I tried hugging a tree and calling for help. The boy scout handbook saved us because we eventually turned around.

Casey got two of her toes stuck in the hinge of our forward hatch. They look horrible and we all had a sleepless night trying to control her bleeding and pain. Kathy made me clean up all the blood. She's been a brave girl and we found a nurse on Tahuata to clean and bandage her wounds. Nothing is broken, but won't be in the water for awhile. It happened two days ago. She's still in some pain, but milking it for all it's worth. "Dad! I think I should have my own bell. You know - for when I need something."

Kathy cut her hand yesterday, but is otherwise okay. IT's a minor cut, but she's using it to get out of washing dishes. Tara is the only one unscathed., but thinks her dad should be washing all the dishes.

The bay here is beautiful. The water is very clear and warm. It's windy here though and one night the wind topped at 35 knots in the anchorage. It's from the land and coming off the mountains.
Comments
Vessel Name: Adventure
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 42
Hailing Port: Marina Bay, Richmond CA
Crew: The O'Neil Family
About: Sean (Captain and Line Man) Kathy (Helmswoman and Cook) Tara - 12 years old at trip start, Casey - 11 years old at trip start (Crew and Students)
Extra: We're on a three-year sabbatical from the daily grind to see the Pacific coast of the US, Mexico, Central America and the South Pacific and stopping at New Zealand.

S/V Adventure

Who: The O'Neil Family
Port: Marina Bay, Richmond CA