Difran 2 Baltic Cruise 2014

Vessel Name: Difran 2
Vessel Make/Model: Own Design & Build
Hailing Port: Moved To beaulieu River
Crew: Mars Street & Josh Passingham
About: Great Crew we enjoy sailing together
Extra:
It is now a year hence Difran 2 has moved to the beautiful Beaulieu River Mike offered me a buoy and later relented to to give me a lovely buoy further up river so I am now well Pleased. ]2015 has been a frustrating year we have completed a summer cruise in fact three cruises 1st to Cherbourg to [...]
26 July 2018
17 April 2017
19 June 2016
14 May 2016 | Bucklers Hard, Beaulieu River
13 April 2016 | Beaulieu River, Solent
04 November 2015 | Bucklers Hard
13 August 2015
01 August 2014 | Home
30 July 2014 | Dover
29 July 2014 | Oostend
25 July 2014 | Still in Amsterdam
23 July 2014 | Groningen
23 July 2014 | Now in Amsterdam
14 July 2014 | Svenborg, Sth, Fyn
10 July 2014 | Sonderborg Denmark
10 July 2014 | Sonderborg Denmark
26 June 2014 | Southampton
10 June 2014 | Home
08 June 2014 | Shamrock Quay Marina
Recent Blog Posts
26 July 2018

Some time later????

It is now july 2018. The last two years have been difficult for my own physical being also the sailing of Difran 2.

17 April 2017

Plans for 2017

Hi,

19 June 2016

One horrendous Month

It all started so well Sailed out from the Solent Tuesday 17th May. Into Brighton VHF reply have you read Notice to Mariners 'we have 1.5 m silt what draft are you? managed to get in and find the berth. Wednesday poored with rain Thursday went to go silt caused late departure late at Dungness, late into [...]

08 June 2016

Heading North, First week or two

Departed Beaulieu Tuesday morning around 09.00. great day pleasant sail cleared Selsey heading for Brighton, on entry had discussion with HM about silting and depth. All ok, next day wind and rain so stayed put. early departure prevented by low water got out then struggled with tides at Dungness rough [...]

14 May 2016 | Bucklers Hard, Beaulieu River

2016 Cruise round UK

So here we are May 14th all is nearly ready Mars joins me to shift Difran 2 onto the pontoon at Bucklers, Paul joins on Monday and we are off Tuesday 17th May, Brighton, Dover, Chatham, Shotley, Lowestoft.

13 April 2016 | Beaulieu River, Solent

New Year

As I get older the winters seem of late to be cold wet and very windy. On the Beaulieu river we had three yachts blown ashore seemingly missing all other moored craft, Difran 2 had a few problems damage to Boom tent and Spray hood, all mended now. There have been two or three days when one i#was able [...]

One horrendous Month

19 June 2016
It all started so well Sailed out from the Solent Tuesday 17th May. Into Brighton VHF reply have you read Notice to Mariners 'we have 1.5 m silt what draft are you? managed to get in and find the berth. Wednesday poored with rain Thursday went to go silt caused late departure late at Dungness, late into Dover. day of rest departed for Ramsgate nice day sail Sunny weather.
Set out to cross the Thames sands up through Fishermans Gat engine started its old problems thought I had cured.Eventually arrived at Medusa Channel to Anchor. Rest and depart 0100 sailed into light NE for 6 hours anchor again at Minsmere.
Set out for final leg NE wind increased wind over tide very rough struggle into Lowestoft. I was knackered Paul fed up and ready to depart as the struggle to get North up the east Coast was more than a summer cruise. Into RN&SYC Mars joined us for dinner ashore when Decisions were for Paul to Depart Mars and I to Abandon and head South. A combination Of My Knee, Engine and weather. Said Goodby to Paul on the train, went to Oulton Broad for some gasket material as lift pump was leaking oil.Returned Cut new Gasket solved one problem. Waited three dayshad discussion with Ken and Mary Endean about what else 'Weather'. A bit of sun we headed south. passing the Ore entrance on a suitable tide over the bar we had a nice sail to Orford picked up a buoy. Next day other side of havergate Isle slow cruise to cross the Bar on a rising tide to enter the Orwell up to Pin Mill and a stop in Levington Marina. South going tide set out for Chatham through the Thames Sands, Delayed at Thames No 1 Buoy Crossing big ships late into the Medway Struggled for 8/10 miles with engine on low revs. Finally locked in.
Day of rest planned. visit Royal Dockyard.
Great my knee finally gave out great pain difficult to walk. Rest the next day Mars had a look at chatham town 'not Impressed' forecast days of 5-7 gale 8 so took train home, One to Abingdon me to the new Forest. And hear we stayed for a week. Returned on Thursday. Locked out 0500 Friday only made it to Tanquerton Bay to Anchor. Sailed Slow and Cold to Ramsgate, day or two of rest Sailed Slow and cold to Dover. Here we met with a bit of luck when Dover Control asked us to Enter East Entry under control Advised No Engine we were nursed in to sail to the inner Harbour a little engine 8 minutes was all we could get before 120 Deg's and cut. Straight in I think Dover Mariner had been listening to our plight. On a reasonably fine day Wind wrong Direction we set out, Struggled to round Dungness eased away on Port tack to Run foul of the range firing. Acompanied south to clear slowly west, At royal Soveriegn in the early morning great sunrise soon to cloud and go cold again struggle with no wind and a drift with the tide. Soon to make better progress untill Selsey Bill tide against Anchored at Bognor Rocks very Rolly. Next day no wind Fog wet and cold but we managed to drift South ish then west saw an opertunity so Engine on reached Pullar. Down came the heavens but steady progress to West Pole then on to the gap inside Horse Sand fort, could not make it so headed for St Helens rounded to north and cleared No Mans Fort held course for City of Chichester incomming went to Starboard tack it was obvious we would not make Osborne Bay that evening. I went below for a rest Mars had sailed North to Hill head and suddenly we had wind to storm across to Osborne Bay to Anchor at 22.00. Next morning some wind so up anchor headed north across the east going tide but on tacking founf we only made it back to where we had departed. Mars say we have to head west I suggested he take the helm after a few moments he say's let head up the north channel so we tacked up to Hill Head and suprise suprise the tide was more favourable and we made steady progress to Lepe Spit Buoy. I primed the engine more Salt water as we had run out of fresh stuff, a little engine and a prayer we made it to turn and run along to the Beaulieu Moorings further Priming with salt water and we made it to pick up my mooring. The most Stressfull month of my Sailing years If My crew said never again in Difran 2 I would not be surprised But I believe they are made of tuffer stuff. I now have to Sort the engine My experience tells me a Cracked head/Block or Gasket blown. But on reflection the east coast rivers having watched Dylan Winter's Keepturningleft are absolutely delightfull. So would I go again? Yes but the weather needs sorting plus my Engine it is now possibly 60 years old and I do not consider myself the best Engineer. But we sailed a heavy displacement boat 600 miles as the sailors of old, without engine.

Regards to all who read
Bryan T Difran 2
Comments
Difran 2's Photos - Main
Just a few photo's at random of Difran2 before and on the 2014 cruise to the Baltic. 2015 we have now completed the european Coast from Cuxhaven to Tregieur. we head west next. We have visited the South Coast UK to Falmouth But I fancy Round the UK...
7 Photos
Created 27 August 2015
No Photos
Created 25 August 2015

About & Links