OOROO 1's Adventures

28 April 2018
20 December 2017
10 December 2017
09 December 2017
09 December 2017
09 December 2017
08 December 2017
08 December 2017
08 December 2017
07 December 2017
06 December 2017
21 November 2017
21 November 2017
31 October 2017
31 October 2017

Down Under Go West Rally

21 November 2017
Floss
After almost five years cruising overseas in the Mediterranean, Atlantic, Caribbean and Pacific we decided it was time to head back to Australia.
 
Our only passage joining an organised rally was the Atlantic Rally Crossing (ARC 2014), which was heaps of fun, packed with lots of information. We met lots of new friends that we will keep in touch with for a lifetime. With this positive experience under our belt and fond memories of being a participant, we then heard of an Australian Rally from New Caledonia to Bundaberg Australia, The Down Under Go West Rally for Cruisers.

After some research it seemed the Down Under Rally certainly had the hallmarks of being a great way to enjoy our final passage and celebrate our arrival in Australia.
 
We also learned that the Down Under Rally offers great seminars, continuous helpful suggestions and advice on not just Australia, but also some great tips on making the most of New Caledonia.
 
With the Australia arrival fees being included in the rally entry fee and of course a spattering of parties along the way, the Down Under Rally sounded perfect for OOROO and plus it seemed like great value for money, so we signed up!

Although the official rendezvous was to start in Noumea, we received our Down Under Rally Go West flag in Fiji from the organisers, John and Leanne. We started flying our rally flag immediately and met new people through it. 
 
We ended up sailing from Fiji to Vanuatu with new friends and then from Vanuatu to New Caledonia with more rally participants.
 
The Noumea rendezvous was fun and very informative and making landfall into Australia with the rally had the Australian Border Forces give us a very friendly welcome. Clearing in with authorities was a very quick and painless experience for us as we had previously been very well informed at the Noumea rendezvous by John on what we needed to do to make the process easy.
 
We found Bundaberg a great entry point into Australia, the staff at Bundaberg Marina were so helpful and friendly along with the people in the closest town of Burnett Heads where we spent a fair bit of time.
 
Once we were cleared in it just got better, 40 boats in all from many countries. It was non-stop fun and information during the rally welcome week with seminars on East Coast cruising, land travel, prize give aways (which we won a haul out), discounts and parties, along with some great hootenannies with some very talented musical sailors.
 
Many new friends have been made once again thanks to a great well-organised rally. 
 
If you plan on sailing to or from Australia check out the Down Under Rally website, you will not be disappointed.
 
With the Go West Rally done and dusted we have followed along behind the rally organisers cat "SONGLINES" as we head south down the coast and we are really enjoying John and Leanne's beautiful back yard of Queensland.
Mike and I would like to thank both John & Leanne and the Down Under Rally for making our homecoming back to Australia such a happy and memorable one.
 
 
Comments
Vessel Name: OOROO 1
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 450
Hailing Port: Fremantle
Crew: Mike and Leanne Heddon
About:
Team OOROO 1 consists of Mike and Leanne Heddon from Perth Western Australia and visiting friends and family from time to time. Prior to purchasing OOROO our background was predominantly in the West Australian mining industry. It took over 10 years for our sailing dream to come to fruition. [...]
OOROO 1's Photos - Main
2016
28 Photos
Created 9 September 2017
Fiji, September 2017
8 Photos
Created 9 September 2017
10 Photos
Created 2 August 2017
5 Photos
Created 18 April 2017
Pacific Crossing 2017
10 Photos
Created 26 March 2017
23 Photos
Created 7 July 2016
Sailing on OOROO
6 Photos
Created 1 February 2015
Diving on the sculptures
12 Photos
Created 1 February 2015
ARC mid Atlantic highlights
6 Photos
Created 1 February 2015
6 Photos
Created 2 June 2014
4 Photos
Created 2 June 2014
4 Photos
Created 2 June 2014
4 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
4 Photos
Created 19 November 2013
17 Photos
Created 18 November 2013
6 Photos
Created 17 November 2013