22 October 2021 | 'S: 'E, Grand Chancellor Hotel, Brisbane
15 October 2021 | 27 26.662'S:153 06.434'E, River gate marina, Brisbane
12 October 2021 | 26 18.073'S:156 00.246'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
11 October 2021 | 25 41.635'S:158 24.609'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
10 October 2021 | 25 03.764'S:160 40.921'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
09 October 2021 | 24 16.537'S:163 21.449'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
08 October 2021 | 23 23.005'S:166 09.112'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
07 October 2021 | 22 12.270'S:168 20.490'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
06 October 2021 | 21 00.046'S:169 58.439'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
05 October 2021 | 19 49.684'S:171 35.302'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
04 October 2021 | 18 37.463'S:173 06.679'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
03 October 2021 | 18 11.767'S:175 05.347'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
02 October 2021 | 17 46.369'S:177 22.935'E, Port Denarau marina , Fiji
18 September 2021 | 17 46.369'S:177 22.935'E, Port Denarau marina , Fiji
16 September 2021 | 17 46.369'S:177 22.935'E, Denarau, Fiji
15 September 2021 | 17 46.369'S:177 22.935'E, Denarau, Fiji
14 September 2021 | 17 44.915'S:177 22.373'E, Denarau, Fiji
13 September 2021 | 17 44.915'S:177 22.373'E, Quarantine anchorage, Denarau, Fiji
11 September 2021 | 17 14.384'S:178 18.007'E, At Sea to Fiji
10 September 2021 | 17 32.600'S:179 35.350'W, At Sea to Fiji

Mucky ear ( rhyming slang!) to the rescue

31 December 2019 | 17 58'N:66 55'W, Ensenada, Peurto Rico
NC
31st December

17 58 N
66 55 W

Weather hot and sunny, wind n/a, waves n/a

GOODBYE 2019

A HUGE BIRTHDAY SHOUT OUT TO OLIVER WHO IS TURNING 4 YEARS OLD TOMORROW, ENJOY YOUR LAST DAY OF BEING 3!

Our last day of the year started with a bang - literally. There was a very loud bang at 7am that had us leaping around outside to see if we could identify where it came from. Nothing seemed amiss with the boat or the surroundings so we settled down to finish our breakfast and coffee whilst wondering aloud what the bang could have been, 2 thoughts sprung to mind, the first that it was an earth quake but there was no shaking or movement of water in the harbor so we almost discounted that thought, the second thought was that there must be a quarry nearby that was blasting - seemed pretty likely as we are surrounded by hills plus the bang occurred at exactly 7am - the perfect time for a blast. Anyway we put it out of our minds and prepared for today's short trip, we were going to go to Ponce which is about 16NM further along the coast. It is the second biggest city in Puerto Rico so we plan to stock up there with all the things we are running low on, though I'm not sure where we will buy patience! We had agreed with Marina and Haydn to take off at 8am so bang on the appointed hour we hauled in our anchor, covered in sticky mud but at least it held well, and began motoring out of the harbor. We followed Passage out of the anchorage as they were nearer the channel than we were but once we cleared the harbor entrance we took a slightly different route, cutting out of the channel early and heading towards our destination whilst Passage continued to follow the channel markers all the way out. We weren't quite sure why they had chosen to go so far out but thought they might be chasing the 3 knots of wind that hadn't woken up yet. We took bets on which of us would get a sail up first, my money was on Gerry as he can't leave any breath of wind alone however before either of us got that far. We were less than 1NM from the anchorage when we had a call from Passage, they were in trouble, their engine belt had made a strange noise followed by the engine vibrating and finally stopping. We offered to turn back to see if we could help which they gratefully agreed to. When we got to them they were rolling and wallowing with no engine, it was a good job that the wind was still safely tucked up in bed or it would have been so much worse. We had a quick discussion about how to proceed and it was decided that we would tow them back into the safety of the harbor we had just left to have a look and see what was going on with their engine. We secured 2 tow line between the boats and towed them back into the harbor very slowly. It was quite daunting having a disabled sailing boat following at such close quarters but we kept everything slow and under control, dropping the tow lines when they were in a good place to anchor then picking up a stern line from them to assist them with their anchoring by backing both boats down on their anchor. Once they were set we dropped our anchor, making sure we weren't going anywhere and switched off everything. Haydn collected Gerry in their dinghy, the engineer was going to see if he could help out with whatever the problem was. Haydn told us that was indeed an earthquake that caused the bang at 7am as he had checked on the internet and I almost forgot there was a second one just as we were reentering the harbor but this one wasn't so loud, definitely an after-shock! I remained on our boat and spent the next few hours cooking a few meals up and generally enjoying the peace and quiet!
Gerry returned to our boat a couple of time for tools and said that the problem was their alternator had died and their spare one didn't fit! I'm waiting for the next update at the moment so I thought I'd just get ahead with a start on the blog, back when I know more!
So Gerry is now back having helped to fix the problem, it turned out that the alternator bearing seized causing the screeching noise and vibration. The old alternator was taken apart and repaired with bits off of the new alternator which as a whole unit had an incompatible mounting. It took them the best part of 4 hours to get it back in working order but at least it is now IN working order, let's just hope that it is good enough to get them the 16NM to Ponce tomorrow where they will be able to go into the marina and get a new compatible spare alternator!
So New Year's Eve for us is going to be spent in this quiet, calm and peaceful anchorage. We have no idea if there will be any fireworks around here but there is a good chance that there will be, not that we intend staying up to see the New Year in as the plan is now to leave for Ponce at 6am ( what sort of time is that for New Year's Day - cruel I call it.)
A bit more info on the earth quake from this morning, the biggest earthquake this week in Puerto Rico was at - you guessed it, Guanica right where we are staying! It measured 3.5 on the rectum scale (sorry that should read Richter scale) and was centered at sea just outside the harbor entrance - yes, we like living dangerously, it seems to follow us wherever we go! I am only surprised that we didn't get any wave action from it but I'm also very glad that we didn't.
And now for a bit of history, Guanica was the first place that the Americans came to when they claimed Puerto Rico as an American territory. There is a large dock where apparently fertilizer is unloaded periodically - I don't fancy being around when that happens as I'm sure the smell is horrendous, especially as the wind is bound to get up at the same time as they unload. The small bay off of Guanica near the town of Ensenada, where we are actually anchored, was originally a sugar mill town and there is evidence of the old mill still on the shore, sugar is no longer grown here so I've no idea what industry keeps the town alive.
I'm going to cut today's blog short as I feel the need to get into the New Year spirit ( another rummy thing?) and relax. I've added a few more photos to the gallery for your amusement, check them out.
I hope you all have a great New Year celebration however you chose to spend it, be safe, look after one another and start the New Year off in the way you want it to continue.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERONE, WE WISH YOU ALL WHATEVER YOU WISH FOR YOURSELVES PLUS HEALTH, WEALTH AND HAPPINESS FOR THE YEAR AHEAD.

SEE YOU ALL IN 2020!
Comments
Vessel Name: Opal of Queensland
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 52AC
Hailing Port: Bundaberg
Crew: Nicky, Gerry and Priss
About: Motley mostly, especially the cat
Opal of Queensland's Photos - Main
30 Photos
Created 22 October 2021
10 Photos
Created 16 September 2021
25 Photos
Created 14 September 2021
57 Photos
Created 7 August 2021
44 Photos
Created 17 July 2021
69 Photos
Created 11 July 2021
41 Photos
Created 10 July 2021
33 Photos
Created 13 May 2021
49 Photos
Created 3 May 2021
59 Photos
Created 9 April 2021
34 Photos
Created 5 April 2021
9 Photos
Created 5 April 2021
68 Photos
Created 4 April 2021
21 Photos
Created 12 March 2021
26 Photos
Created 27 February 2021
plenty of broken bits and things to fix in Colombia
44 Photos
Created 25 February 2021
25 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
27 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
29 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
36 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
20 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
13 Photos
Created 5 December 2020
Wind indicator replacement
12 Photos
Created 24 November 2020
15 Photos
Created 3 November 2020
leaving Port Louis marina, travelling to Spice Island Marine yard and hauling out to do the anti fouling
60 Photos
Created 3 November 2020
10 Photos
Created 29 July 2020
20 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 5 July 2020
28 Photos
Created 26 June 2020
62 Photos
Created 20 June 2020
10 Photos
Created 4 June 2020
155 Photos
Created 4 December 2019
104 Photos
Created 4 December 2019
55 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 1 November 2019
The life and antics of Miss Priss aboard Opal
27 Photos
Created 1 November 2019

Who: Nicky, Gerry and Priss
Port: Bundaberg