Checking out day
22 February 2021 | 12 03.520'N:68 51.216'W, Spaanse Harbour, Curacao
12 03.520 N
68 51.216 W
Weather; sunny, wind n/a, waves n/a
This was to be our last full day in Curacao, it was checking out time, Gerry took down our awnings and stashed them away but before the day even became a reality it became apparent that we were going to have to go to the pharmacy and see if we could get some antibiotics, I didn't like our chances without a prescription but we would give it a try. Giving ourselves plenty of time to sort out a doctor visit if we had to do that as well we set off for the closest pharmacy where sure enough we were told that they couldn't supply us with antibiotics without a prescription, so our next problem was getting to see a doctor, never the easiest but being a Saturday made it a thousand times harder as most of them don't work on Saturday and just a few do a first come/ first served clinic. We asked the pharmacy for the closest clinic and she gave us a number which when we rang we were told that the clinic would be open from 11 am, it was currently just after 9.30 so we had plenty of time to find the place - it wasn't close by and get in the queue. We arrived at the clinic at 10am and were the only people in the car park so we got the only spot in the shade and sat and waited, and waited and waited being entertained by a couple of green parrots munching their way through some seedpods on a nearby tree. As the clock ticked round a few more cars began to appear, then a few more. We got out of the car and waited at the front of the queue for the last 15 minutes. Finally the doctor arrived and opened up the doors with the words first one here come through - phew, no arguing, pushing and shoving we were first in, best dressed! We very quickly explained our need, got given the prescriptions and paid just US$60 for the consult. Next it was on to the pharmacy, going to the one closest to where we were now located - there was no point in going all the way back to our original pharmacy as we were across town and we needed to go to other places following the pharmacy visit. So the 3 lots of antibiotics and 50 paracetamol came to US$35, we were more than impressed as we know what it would have cost us in the USA for the entire exercise. With that out of the way we made our way into the city center where customs is located. We parked outside the nautical museum, which is just across the inlet and Gerry took off by himself over the foot bridge to go to customs and check us out whilst I waited in the car. He returned much too quickly - there was no one in the office, this was sounding like a repeat performance of our checking in day! The difference was that this time we had a sim card and could phone the office number, apparently the guy was on his way and would be there in 15 minutes. So 45 minutes later he rocked up and Gerry did the checking out stuff and returned to the car. Having seen that the nautical museum was actually open today as it was Saturday we decided that whist we were here we would check it out, this was our third "second try " in three days! We toured the museum which like most museums was interesting but needed more to maintain itself as a viable business. There was a restaurant attached to the museum so we thought we would give it a go and have lunch there. I think it was a bit of a mistake, the menu was very limited and when we ordered ( a burger and a chicken sandwich) neither were available - sold out, so we ended up, after a second attempt, asking what actually was available - it turned out not very much but we made do and ordered a couple of buns which were OK but not really what either of us wanted. From the museum we made our way to immigration which was again a distance away as we needed to check out from there as well as from customs but this time we both had to show our faces, though I really don't know why as they didn't even glance at us! We got all the necessary stamps on bits of paper and finally we were officially cleared out and we had until 1300hrs Sunday to leave the country.
By now we were over being ashore and began to head back to the dock, making one short stop to buy some washing up liquid and another to buy a fresh pineapple. Back at the boat it was time to quickly make some bread dough as we were going to need a loaf for the trip. I got as far as the second proofing and Gerry said was I ready to go ashore for our last restaurant meal here, I didn't need asking twice! The dough went into the fridge to finish proofing and baking later while we set off to the dinghy dock where we just finished a difficult tying up and our nearest anchored neighbours turned up also needing to tie up. It was a tight struggle as we let our dinghy out on the painter to the furthest it would go but that didn't help with the other dinghies which were tied up (and locked) really close in. Somehow we managed to help them tie up and scramble ashore, walking down to the nearby Costa Nostra Restaurant where we intended to have dinner and apparently they were too. We shared a table and had a pleasant meal chatting about all the things that happen on boats, how we have all been affected by Covid and what our plans were going forward. At the end of the evening we all headed back and managed to untangle our dinghies from the mess at the dinghy dock and made our way back to our boats. It was far too late by now to bake the bread, that was going to have to be a first job in the morning! So we watched one last episode of Netflix and hit the bed hoping for a decent night's sleep before we take off tomorrow.