22 October 2021 | 'S: 'E, Grand Chancellor Hotel, Brisbane
15 October 2021 | 27 26.662'S:153 06.434'E, River gate marina, Brisbane
12 October 2021 | 26 18.073'S:156 00.246'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
11 October 2021 | 25 41.635'S:158 24.609'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
10 October 2021 | 25 03.764'S:160 40.921'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
09 October 2021 | 24 16.537'S:163 21.449'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
08 October 2021 | 23 23.005'S:166 09.112'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
07 October 2021 | 22 12.270'S:168 20.490'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
06 October 2021 | 21 00.046'S:169 58.439'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
05 October 2021 | 19 49.684'S:171 35.302'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
04 October 2021 | 18 37.463'S:173 06.679'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
03 October 2021 | 18 11.767'S:175 05.347'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
02 October 2021 | 17 46.369'S:177 22.935'E, Port Denarau marina , Fiji
18 September 2021 | 17 46.369'S:177 22.935'E, Port Denarau marina , Fiji
16 September 2021 | 17 46.369'S:177 22.935'E, Denarau, Fiji
15 September 2021 | 17 46.369'S:177 22.935'E, Denarau, Fiji
14 September 2021 | 17 44.915'S:177 22.373'E, Denarau, Fiji
13 September 2021 | 17 44.915'S:177 22.373'E, Quarantine anchorage, Denarau, Fiji
11 September 2021 | 17 14.384'S:178 18.007'E, At Sea to Fiji
10 September 2021 | 17 32.600'S:179 35.350'W, At Sea to Fiji

Running a new jib halyard, take two!

11 April 2021 | 09 22.025'N:79 56.642'W, Shelter Bay Marina, Cristobel, Panama
NC
11th April

09 22. 025 N
79 56.642 W

Weather; hot and humid, wind n/a, waves n/a

I was not impressed with Gerry this morning as he announced that he needed to go up the mast for the second day in a row. When I asked why I was even less impressed, he told me that we were going to be running the jib halyard for a second time as he thought he had made a stuff up by threading the halyard over the spinnaker block at the top and not through the jib block. The effect of this is that the angle of the line going out to the top of sail wasn't going to be quite correct, it would work, but not optimally.
Take two. We started out much earlier this morning, before it got too hot and humid. All the same equipment was gathered up plus the camera, a mallet, a screwdriver and some Loctite. We again ran over the plan, which was going to be slightly different as the spinnaker block that he had run the line through yesterday is located on the outside of the mast whereas the jib block that he should have used is located just inside the mast. To get the halyard over this block was an upward motion from where he would be clinging to the mast and then he would need to have the line roll around the block to give it the downward motion towards the deck and the exit plate. It sounds simple but in reality the trying to get it to roll around the block was going to be a nightmare. Gerry thought that a weight on the leading edge of the halyard would give it enough rigidity to roll around and over the top of the block so we have a piece of chain that we use when we need to weight something down. The piece of chain needed to be attached to the halyard and I overrode Gerry's suggestion of taping it on as in the case of it coming apart we would lose the chain to the inside of the mast, never to be seen again, plus we only have the one piece of chain. Out came the sewing kit and Gerry put a few large stitches through the chain and the end of the halyard, making it one continuous bit of line. Now came the hauling up the mast bit yet again. Once he was in position at the top of the mast he tied the top bit of the halyard securely to the mast so that it wouldn't fall down to the deck and then hauled the length of halyard that I had so patiently fished for yesterday along with the attached piece of chain back up to the top of the mast. I was now waiting at the base of the mast ready to repeat my fishing expedition of yesterday - I was in for a long wait! As the block that he was trying to pass the weighted halyard over was only partially visible outside of the mast, he was having to poke and wiggle to get the chain over the top of the block and it wasn't working. After several attempts and a shortening temper he finally decided that he needed my fishing hook to poke in the hole and force the chain over the top of the block and asked me to attach it to the sail end of the halyard and he would haul it up to use - all very well but what was I going to use to fish through the exit plate and drag the halyard out? A short discussion and he said once that the line was over the top of the block he would send the hook back down to me on the sail end of the halyard. It sounded like a recipe for disaster - I could just see the hook wrapping around the mast steps, the standing rigging or worse still, ending up in the water but despite my misgivings it worked out OK. Gerry managed to prod the chain over the top of the block and gravity dragged the halyard the rest of the way. The hook was lowered back down to me without any problems and I began fishing inside the exit plate for the end of the chain. I managed to hook it fairly quickly and pulled it out through the exit, dragging the halyard behind it. I then tied off the bitter end so it didn't disappear back up inside the mast and then returned to my spot in the cockpit to let Gerry backdown the mast. On the way back down he stopped off at the first set of spreaders to tap a retaining pin in a little further and also to put some Loctite on the screw that holds in the outer tip that we had replaced in Cartagena which looked like it was loose but in fact wasn't. Having done these other jobs it was time for him to descend to the deck and run the newly run halyard through the jammer and tidy up. Job finished, time for a cold drink, pat on the back and a sit down before jumping in the shower. For now Gerry is happy with what we have done, only time will tell if another trip up the mast is on the cards! I almost forgot to mention that Gerry took a few photos from the top of the mast looking out over the marina and the Panama breakwater - they are in the gallery along with a few photos of the mast, halyard, exit plate and jammer, in case you are wondering when you check it out, the orange halyard is for the staysail. The covers for the cockpit enclosure were on Gerry's list next, he put them in place along with the awnings to try and keep the air conditioner from being the only way to keep the interior cool and finally he replaced the flooring in the lazarette over top of the auto pilot which has been sitting out waiting for the repair to be complete but will need to be out of the way for when we get moved off of the quarantine berth early in the week.
I made a lime cheesecake (AKA snot pie in my family) whilst he was busy doing these last things as I had a bag of limes that needed using, I can't wait for it to set - I have a need for something sweet.
I had Gerry draw a diagram of the mast head with the blocks etc. to try and make it easier for you to visualise what I have tried to explain - see the photo of his diagram, I hope it makes it clearer than mud! We had a surprise knock on the boat a short while ago and Gerry went out to see who it was, returning with a bag with 2 pineapples and a water melon, a surprise gift from our agent, gratefully received. I know I have a recipe for a watermelon soup somewhere - it is far too big for us to finish before it rots on us! We are currently relaxing for the rest of the afternoon, I think Gerry is examining the backs of his eyelids whilst I type this update.
I dread to imagine what jobs he is dreaming up for tomorrow - we all wait with baited breath!
Comments
Vessel Name: Opal of Queensland
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 52AC
Hailing Port: Bundaberg
Crew: Nicky, Gerry and Priss
About: Motley mostly, especially the cat
Opal of Queensland's Photos - Main
30 Photos
Created 22 October 2021
10 Photos
Created 16 September 2021
25 Photos
Created 14 September 2021
57 Photos
Created 7 August 2021
44 Photos
Created 17 July 2021
69 Photos
Created 11 July 2021
41 Photos
Created 10 July 2021
33 Photos
Created 13 May 2021
49 Photos
Created 3 May 2021
59 Photos
Created 9 April 2021
34 Photos
Created 5 April 2021
9 Photos
Created 5 April 2021
68 Photos
Created 4 April 2021
21 Photos
Created 12 March 2021
26 Photos
Created 27 February 2021
plenty of broken bits and things to fix in Colombia
44 Photos
Created 25 February 2021
25 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
27 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
29 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
36 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
20 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
13 Photos
Created 5 December 2020
Wind indicator replacement
12 Photos
Created 24 November 2020
15 Photos
Created 3 November 2020
leaving Port Louis marina, travelling to Spice Island Marine yard and hauling out to do the anti fouling
60 Photos
Created 3 November 2020
10 Photos
Created 29 July 2020
20 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 5 July 2020
28 Photos
Created 26 June 2020
62 Photos
Created 20 June 2020
10 Photos
Created 4 June 2020
155 Photos
Created 4 December 2019
104 Photos
Created 4 December 2019
55 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 1 November 2019
The life and antics of Miss Priss aboard Opal
27 Photos
Created 1 November 2019

Who: Nicky, Gerry and Priss
Port: Bundaberg