20 June 2021 | 08 55.038'S:140 05.994'W, At sea to Nuku Hiva
19 June 2021 | 08 45.420'S:137 17.565'W, At sea to Nuku Hiva
18 June 2021 | 08 25.251'S:134 33.143'W, At sea to Nuku Hiva
17 June 2021 | 08 04.645'S:132 02.891'W, At sea to Nuku Hiva
16 June 2021 | 07 47.405'S:129 37.340'W, At sea to Nuku Hiva
15 June 2021 | 07 28.231'S:127 29.795'W, At sea to Nuku Hiva
14 June 2021 | 07 07.255'S:125 27.880'W, At sea to Nuku Hiva
13 June 2021 | 06 35.497'S:123 01.496'W, At sea to Nuku Hiva
12 June 2021 | 06 10.013'S:122 20.620'W, At sea to Nuku Hiva
11 June 2021 | 05 46.278'S:117 38.692'W, At sea to Nuku Hiva
10 June 2021 | 05 18.830'S:114 55.667'W, At sea to Nuku Hiva
09 June 2021 | 04 53.353'S:111 51.748'W, At sea to Nuku Hiva
08 June 2021 | 04 37.682'S:109 05.337'W, At sea to Nuku Hiva
07 June 2021 | 04 20.016'S:106 33.433'W, At sea to Nuku Hiva
06 June 2021 | 03 49.728'S:104 21.936'W, At sea to Nuku Hiva
05 June 2021 | 03 12.953'S:102 05.669'W, At sea to Nuku Hiva
04 June 2021 | 02 38.543'S:99 39.600'W, At sea to Nuku Hiva
03 June 2021 | 01 41.208'S:97 38.443'W, At sea to Nuku Hiva
02 June 2021 | 00 46.495'S:95 51.030'W, At sea to Nuku Hiva
01 June 2021 | 00 03.779'N:94 05.962'W, At sea to Nuku Hiva

Out of quarantine at last

14 April 2021 | 09 22.025'N:79 56.642'W, Shelter Bay Marina, Cristobel, Panama
13th April

09 22. 025 N
79 56.642 W

Weather; dull and raining lightly, wind n/a, waves n/a

So today we should be able to go ashore and run free, as long as our second PCR test comes back negative.
Gerry started off with changing out the generator oil and cleaning out the oil strainer and replaced the generator fuel filter so that all the fuel filters on the boat are now in pristine condition and should be good to go for a while yet. I spent the morning doing the boring cleaning and tidying stuff in the cool interior. We waited patiently for the entire morning for the dock master to show up with the health nurse to take our second lot of swabs, by lunch time and having heard nothing from them Gerry called the office and asked what was happening about letting us out of quarantine. We got a muddled sort of answer saying that they would call our agent and see if he had managed to get us an exemption from the second test as our first was negative and we had no signs or symptoms of Covid - he would call us back. After an eternity we finally got a call to say that he would be coming to our boat now with the health nurse to do the test, not a word about the agent and the possible exemption! We didn't care as long as we got cleared today, this hanging around for no reason is getting a bit frustrating. We made our way out to the side of the boat where we were met and had our details taken (again) and the few brain cells that we still have were swabbed via our nasal passages (again), the dock master indicated that the results would be back in an hour, yeh right! We had lunch and then Gerry decided the best use of his time was to spend it having a nana nap. I went out into the cockpit and made a start on cleaning the isinglass enclosure which had become covered in salt water and was smeary, making it difficult to see through, following our passage to here. I was a little surprised to find that it was as difficult to clean as it was considering that we had taken them all down and given them a good spit and polish in Cartagena, I wasn't going to do that again in a hurry so I just cleaned off the salt spray and used a soft polishing rag to bring them back up to standard. I managed to get both sides done but it was starting to spit with rain so I left the back 3 windows for another day along with the hard windows which make up part of the dodger - they had their covers in place and I wasn't about to remove covers, clean the windows and then replace the covers, it was all too much for one day!
So much for the results being back within an hour, by 4 pm we still hadn't heard and I went to have a lie down and read my book, then at about 4.30 Gerry got a message on the phone to say the results were back and we were clear so we could end our quarantine. Gerry was all keen to get ashore and go for a walk around, I couldn't be bothered at this point and said let's wait and go ashore for an early drink followed by dinner at the marina restaurant, he obviously agreed to this plan as it was what we ended up doing. He did rush outside to take down our quarantine flag and replace it with the Panama flag to indicate that we are free of disease and can now wander ashore at will to catch Covid from the locals who haven't been tested or cleared (sarcastic much? you bet!). Just after 5.30 we headed to the marina and as we stepped off the end of the dock, with our trash bag in hand, we walked straight into Shona (of Cuzzy Bros fame) who was making her way from the yard where they are apparently on the hard having their bottom antifouled. It was good to bump into a friendly face who gave us the rundown of where to find things around the marina and how to get stuff organised - like the free bus to the supermarket where you have to put your name on a list and only 10 people can go at a time but there are 2 buses each day which seem to be well booked out. The same thing applies to laundry - you have to book to have it done, necessitating some planning ahead on our part or there will be nothing to wear! Shona was heading off to the shower block as they can't use their onboard shower while they are on the hard. They are staying onboard though which I think is both brave and insane at the same time as you can't use the sink as there is no way of draining it, the toilet is useable if you have a decent holding tank, you have to climb up a ladder to get on to the boat and then trust that it is securely held in place whilst you move around inside the boat at least 12 feet above ground level - it's not something that I would consider doing but I guess it's saving on the cost of a hotel/motel room for the time the boat is out of the water. Gerry dumped our trash and we headed into the bar/restaurant and had a drink and a good meal which turned out to be quite cheap. I know it sounds nuts but I was tired as all hell so after eating we headed back out to the boat, which by the way is at the furthest point away from the marina and we settled in for the night with loose plans to find out more tomorrow.
Vessel Name: Opal of Queensland
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 52AC
Hailing Port: Bundaberg
Crew: Nicky, Gerry and Priss
About: Motley mostly, especially the cat
Opal of Queensland's Photos - Main
33 Photos
Created 13 May 2021
49 Photos
Created 3 May 2021
59 Photos
Created 9 April 2021
34 Photos
Created 5 April 2021
9 Photos
Created 5 April 2021
68 Photos
Created 4 April 2021
21 Photos
Created 12 March 2021
26 Photos
Created 27 February 2021
plenty of broken bits and things to fix in Colombia
44 Photos
Created 25 February 2021
25 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
27 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
29 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
36 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
20 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
13 Photos
Created 5 December 2020
Wind indicator replacement
12 Photos
Created 24 November 2020
15 Photos
Created 3 November 2020
leaving Port Louis marina, travelling to Spice Island Marine yard and hauling out to do the anti fouling
60 Photos
Created 3 November 2020
10 Photos
Created 29 July 2020
20 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 5 July 2020
28 Photos
Created 26 June 2020
62 Photos
Created 20 June 2020
10 Photos
Created 4 June 2020
155 Photos
Created 4 December 2019
104 Photos
Created 4 December 2019
55 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 1 November 2019
The life and antics of Miss Priss aboard Opal
27 Photos
Created 1 November 2019

Who: Nicky, Gerry and Priss
Port: Bundaberg