04 August 2021 | 17 32.383'S:149 34.232'W, Papeete Marina, Tahiti, French Polynesia
03 August 2021 | 16 35.765'S:148 31.906'W, At Sea, French Polynesia
02 August 2021 | 15 04.691'S:146 50.444'W, At Sea, French Polynesia
01 August 2021 | 13 26.365'S:145 00.927'W, At Sea, French Polynesia
31 July 2021 | 11 57.570'S:143 22.215'W, At Sea, French Polynesia
30 July 2021 | 10 20.271'S:141 36.000'W, At Sea, French Polynesia
25 July 2021 | 08 55.038'S:140 05.994'W, Nuku Hiva , Marquesas
17 July 2021 | 08 55.038'S:140 05.994'W, Nuku Hiva , Marquesas
11 July 2021 | 08 55.038'S:140 05.994'W, Nuku Hiva , Marquesas
10 July 2021 | 08 55.038'S:140 05.994'W, Nuku Hiva , Marquesas
08 July 2021 | 08 55.038'S:140 05.994'W, Nuku Hiva , Marquesas
06 July 2021 | 08 55.038'S:140 05.994'W, Nuku Hiva , Marquesas
02 July 2021 | 08 55.038'S:140 05.994'W, Nuku Hiva , Marquesas
01 July 2021 | 08 55.038'S:140 05.994'W, Nuku Hiva , Marquesas
30 June 2021 | 08 55.038'S:140 05.994'W, Nuku Hiva , Marquesas
27 June 2021 | 08 55.038'S:140 05.994'W, Nuku Hiva , Marquesas
26 June 2021 | 08 55.038'S:140 05.994'W, Nuku Hiva , Marquesas
25 June 2021 | 08 55.038'S:140 05.994'W, Nuku Hiva , Marquesas
24 June 2021 | 08 55.038'S:140 05.994'W, Nuku Hiva , Marquesas
23 June 2021 | 08 55.038'S:140 05.994'W, Nuku Hiva , Marquesas

Day 10, an exhausting day

01 June 2021 | 00 03.779'N:94 05.962'W, At sea to Nuku Hiva
1st June

00 03.779 N

94 05.962 W

Weather; clear sky but not warm, wind between 10 -15 knots, waves 2 metres

Yesterday continued in much the same vein as the day before, the wind played hide and seek and catch me if you can for most of the day and into the night. We tried and were partially successful as we managed to cover 141 NM in the 24 hours but we did have to motor sail for 5 hours of that, still it's not so bad.

Gerry kept himself busy for most of the day checking up on our newly discovered leak in the forward stateroom. He took apart the cupboard and shelfing contents and distributed them all over the bed which he had first folded the mattress in half on, to leave the bare boards uncovered in case the leak made its way onto the bed. Our oversized towels were then laid on the bare boards to absorb any water and for Gerry to be able to lay on and work in comfort. We have some chamois towels which he then used to line where he thinks the water leak is dropping and at the same time put a container beneath the area to catch any run off. He then cleaned the area and applied waterproof putty to the small areas where he thinks the water might be coming in to try and block them. It looks like this area has had a leak in a past life as there has been an attempt to apply some fiberglass tape, this is the first time in the 8 or so years that we have owned the boat that we have had a leak in the
area so maybe the fix has been good up until now but the time has come for a better job on it. Whilst we know there will be some "fixing" of it to be done once we reach that exotic place Gerry is trying to get ahead of the game and work out what needs doing whilst we are still running in order to identify exactly where the water is coming in from so we can make an effective fix. He continued to check the area about every 2 hours for the rest of the day and overnight into this morning, there is still water coming in, not a lot but it is tracking from somewhere other than the places he filled with the waterproof putty. Once we get the exact spot sorted out and dry we will be sanding and fibre glassing the area and hopefully that will be the end of the story. I managed to exhaust myself during the day by making a cake. Now I'm sure you are raising your eyebrows and thinking what is the matter with her, how hard can that be, well let me enlighten you about making a cake (from s
cratch) on a boat that is hurtling along rolling to the side from a zero degree angle to a 20 degree angle repeatedly. So I started out finding the recipe which is on the iPad stashed in the cupboard, opening of cupboard risked a whole swag of electronic and snack foods dropping out so it was a very quick open cupboard, grab iPad and slam door shut. I really could have left this part out as I have made the same boiled fruit cake many times and know the recipe by heart however I wasn't going to risk getting it wrong in my sleep deprived state. Recipe in hand and head I then went to the forward stateroom hanging on to the overhead hand rails for grim death, where all the dry goods (flour, sugar and dried fruit) are stored, moving stuff that Gerry had stacked in front of the cupboard before retrieving the said ingredients and taking them back out to the galley. Next came the opening of galley draws to find measuring cups and spoons, hanging on with one hand to stop myself flyi
ng backwards whilst delving into the utensil draws for the right tools, followed by emptying the saucepan cupboard to reach the largest saucepan we possess to boil the mixture in, can't risk using a smaller size when there is a chance that the whole thing might go flying and end up burning you, of course all the smaller saucepans are at the front so they all need to be put back before closing the cupboard up. Next thing is a tin of pineapple, probably the most dangerous cupboard in the salon area to open as it is stuffed full of cans and of course the pineapple is right at the back of the cupboard. Once I had found the pineapple and chased the fallen tins around the floor and returned them to cupboard in no particular order ( except that the tin I need next will be at the back) it was back to the galley to measure out the fruit and sugar, open the pineapple and add everything to the big saucepan. Just a couple more things to go in the sauce pan, both of which are in the fri
dge, butter and the glace cherries. The fridge is sealed so well at the moment that I have to leaver it open using the knife sharpening rod and every ounce of strength I possess. The butter gets added to the pan and the cherries need chopping up before they can be added, who in their right mind wields a knife in a galley that is mobile! Anyway finally all the "wet" ingredients for boiling are in the pan, time to turn the stove top on, but first undo the gimble so that the saucepan shouldn't slide around spilling hot sugary fruit mix everywhere and keep hold of the saucepan handle for the prescribed 3 mins of boiling, just in case. Once the boiling has finished turn the stove top off and leave the saucepan somewhere safe (read the galley sink) to cool right off. It's now time to measure out the flour and spice and egg powder. So the flours are easy as I had already gathered them from the stateroom, the spice is easy as it's on a rack in the galley, these get measured into a c
ontainer and the bags of flour and sugar are ready to be returned to their storage locker, another trip forward to stash it. The egg powder is in a different locker in the salon due to the type of container it is in, luckily this time it is at the front and centre so no chasing other stuff all over the floor, the egg powder gets added to the flour and spice mixture and the container returned to the salon area. Remember that every movement is accompanied by the boat rolling and me having to hang on to overhead hand rails whilst doing all of this! Time now to prepare the baking tin by firstly finding it in the storage space beneath the stove, it was always going to be at the back wasn't it. Then lining it with baking paper which is in another draw in the galley and needs cutting to the right size to fit the tin. At this point I had had enough of being down below and needed to get some fresh air so everything got left in the sink or wedged into a space where it wasn't going t
o fly across the interior. A while later it was time to finish the job by adding the flour/spice and egg powders to the now cooled fruit mixture and mix it well whilst trying to hang on and balance everything at the same time. Oh and at some point now the oven needed lighting. Finally it was time to spread the mixture into the baking tin and put it in the oven which was rocking on the gimbles at an alarming degree, shut the oven door and leave it to bake whilst I did the washing up of the pots and utensils and stashed them back in their respective places Ð are you exhausted yet because I was! So instead of retiring to the cockpit and relaxing whilst the cake baked I made butter chicken and Aloo Gobi with rice (yes all from scratch) and dished it into bowls ready to reheat for our dinner then washed up those pots as well. By now the cake was done and it was well and truly time to take it out of the oven and retire to the cockpit. Gerry meanwhile had put out the fishing stick
and had been sitting reading his book, he decided that he needed a nana nap and went below. I kid you not he had been gone 15 minutes and the damn line began to spool out on the fishing stick, I jumped up yelled for him to come and help and began reeling the line in, Gerry appeared, took over and promptly lost whatever was on the line, but at least the lure and hook were still attached so back in the water it went and Gerry returned to his pit. Not ten minutes later the line went out again, repeat of last time, no fish but we still had the lure and hook Ð third time lucky? Gerry went back below and this time it took twenty minutes for the line to spool out, I began reeling it in and Gerry appeared and took over. I grabbed the gaff and gloves and this time we managed to get the fish reeled in, it was a yellow fin tuna, just the right size for dinner! I had the gloves on and we struggled to get the hook out of its mouth but eventually got there. I thought I had bashed it hard
enough for it to be dead but once the hook was out of its mouth it wriggled and slipped out of my hands back into the water. I was devastated, so close but still no fish for dinner, I also felt bad as it couldn't possibly have lived with all the messing about we had done to get the hook out of it, we are sure it must have become dinner for some bigger fish. What a good job I had an alternative for our dinner prepared. If my brother Alan ever reads this, it's all your fault for never teaching me how to deal with a fish once you have it hooked, you are to blame for my incompetence! So we think we now have the fishing and hooking down pat but need some lessons in reeling in and killing the catch before we are going to get to eat anything from the ocean!

So I hope you now have some understanding of how something as simple as making a cake and catching a fish left me totally exhausted for the day. At least this morning we have woken to a sunny sort of day. There were no dolphins frolicking around the boat at dawn and we had no overnight guests at the bird B&T. Gerry did the deck patrol after breakfast and found that 8 squid had committed suicide on the deck overnight, they have fed a fish or two this morning. We have moved out of the marked Zone that I spoke of yesterday, really not sure what that was about as it didn't appear to be monitored at all. We are currently doing about 4.7 knots; the winds are light but we can at least sail for the moment as the wind is on the beam. The water is fairly flat and calm with a long swell interval so it's not too bad for the minute. The fishing stick is out and Gerry has just gone for a sleep so I'd better get this tidied away as it's bound to zing out any moment . More tomorrow, oh and
welcome to June!
Vessel Name: Opal of Queensland
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 52AC
Hailing Port: Bundaberg
Crew: Nicky, Gerry and Priss
About: Motley mostly, especially the cat
Opal of Queensland's Photos - Main
14 Photos
Created 17 July 2021
65 Photos
Created 11 July 2021
41 Photos
Created 10 July 2021
33 Photos
Created 13 May 2021
49 Photos
Created 3 May 2021
59 Photos
Created 9 April 2021
34 Photos
Created 5 April 2021
9 Photos
Created 5 April 2021
68 Photos
Created 4 April 2021
21 Photos
Created 12 March 2021
26 Photos
Created 27 February 2021
plenty of broken bits and things to fix in Colombia
44 Photos
Created 25 February 2021
25 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
27 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
29 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
36 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
20 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
13 Photos
Created 5 December 2020
Wind indicator replacement
12 Photos
Created 24 November 2020
15 Photos
Created 3 November 2020
leaving Port Louis marina, travelling to Spice Island Marine yard and hauling out to do the anti fouling
60 Photos
Created 3 November 2020
10 Photos
Created 29 July 2020
20 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 5 July 2020
28 Photos
Created 26 June 2020
62 Photos
Created 20 June 2020
10 Photos
Created 4 June 2020
155 Photos
Created 4 December 2019
104 Photos
Created 4 December 2019
55 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 1 November 2019
The life and antics of Miss Priss aboard Opal
27 Photos
Created 1 November 2019

Who: Nicky, Gerry and Priss
Port: Bundaberg