18 September 2021 | 17 46.369'S:177 22.935'E, Port Denarau marina , Fiji
16 September 2021 | 17 46.369'S:177 22.935'E, Denarau, Fiji
15 September 2021 | 17 46.369'S:177 22.935'E, Denarau, Fiji
14 September 2021 | 17 44.915'S:177 22.373'E, Denarau, Fiji
13 September 2021 | 17 44.915'S:177 22.373'E, Quarantine anchorage, Denarau, Fiji
11 September 2021 | 17 14.384'S:178 18.007'E, At Sea to Fiji
10 September 2021 | 17 32.600'S:179 35.350'W, At Sea to Fiji
09 September 2021 | 17 38.382'S:177 8.950'W, At Sea to Fiji
08 September 2021 | 17 39.313'S:174 31.757'W, At Sea to Fiji
07 September 2021 | 17 41.552'S:172 46.613'W, At Sea to Fiji
06 September 2021 | 17 46.129'S:170 58.522'W, At Sea to Fiji
05 September 2021 | 17 49.798'S:169 07.500'W, At Sea to Fiji
04 September 2021 | 17 52.673'S:167 02.855'W, At Sea to Fiji
03 September 2021 | 17 54.373'S:164 33.510'W, At Sea to Fiji
02 September 2021 | 17 54.116'S:161 56.676'W, At Sea to Fiji
01 September 2021 | 17 52.572'S:160 00.239'W, At Sea to Fiji
31 August 2021 | 17 49.491'S:157 48.243'W, At Sea to Fiji
30 August 2021 | 17 45.550'S:155 52.625'W, At Sea to Fiji
29 August 2021 | 17 39.051'S:153 78.784'W, At Sea to Fiji
28 August 2021 | 17 29.170'S:151 30.460'W, At Seato Fiji

Day 25, shit day according to Gerry

16 June 2021 | 07 47.405'S:129 37.340'W, At sea to Nuku Hiva
16th June

07 47.405 S

129 37.340 W

Weather; cloudy and wet, wind 5- 12 knots, waves 2 - 3 metres


I asked Gerry what I should write about the last 24 hours and his reply was "shit", so that was how our day panned out. The clouds never totally disappeared for the entire day and night, the sun barely came out so the solar panels weren't charging the batteries, it rained on and off all day and night finding the one place in the cockpit that we can't keep the rain out Ð it runs down the back stay and splashes onto the seat in front of the helm where we sit. Having said that we had a dry moment mid-morning when Gerry announced that we needed to go out on deck as the halyard for the jib had broken, oh joy! Gerry went out first and pulled the broken halyard out of the way and made sure that we had the spare ready to attach to the top of the jib. I joined him as he was pulling down and in the sail, trying to keep it from being blown over the side of the boat and into the water whilst we were bobbing along rolling from side to side at about 4.5 knots. I've explained the same proce
dure before so I'm going to cut it a bit short here. Gerry attached the spare halyard to the top of the jib furler and sprayed it with magic fairy dust to make sure it was moving freely, he then retired to the mast and I took up my precarious position at the pulpit. Whilst Gerry winched the sail up, I fed it into the track trying to keep it from flying over the side of the boat and keeping away from the sheets which were thrashing about and likely to whip me at any given point. We managed to get the sail back up into place and I then had to hurry back to the cockpit to tighten up the sheets and make the sail flyable whilst Gerry finished with the winching, positioning of the pole and tidying up. We had only just finished and were safely back in the cockpit when the rain began in earnest, causing a wind shift and the jib had to be furled away as it was now flapping uselessly. With no sun to make the solar panels worth their keep we then had to run the gen set to top up the ba
tteries, all good on that front for now. Time to change out the water maker filter, as he had put the new membrane in a couple of days ago Gerry thought it would be a good idea to change out the filter so that all the water being produced is as good as it gets. This was a fairly quick and easy job and although the old filter wasn't at deaths door it was probably a good time to do this little job. The fuel polisher was again run, we just don't trust that fuel is free of debris and we need to be able to keep the gen set and the engine useable and by polishing the fuel this should help. We each tried to have a nana nap in the afternoon as we are tired and not really getting enough good hours of sleep in so we are taking it when we can get it. There was no sun set as we hadn't seen the sun all day but the sky got darker, the clouds continued to form and drop rain every now and again all through the night and the swell picked up with the darkening of the sky, not really what we
needed. The wind was all but gone so we were being driven along more by the swell than anything else and it was very rocky and unpleasant with things being thrown from one side of the boat to the other and then back again. Yet again we had to run the gen set during the night to top up the batteries, this time however there was another hiccough and a bit of a splutter after a minute or so of running, oh no not again. This would be the first job of the morning Ð investigating and possibly changing out the 10 micron filter yet again. Sure enough when the time came the filter was blocked by some rusty residue and needed a new filter, this is getting to be a serious problem as we now only have one spare filter left and we aren't too sure if there will be any filters to purchase in Nuku Hiva. I have suggested to Gerry that he sends off an email to the authorities there to make sure that they have some in stock for when we arrive as we only have 4 day visas which doesn't give us ti
me to get spares flown across from Papeete if we need to. There is no way we are going to continue on to Fiji without any spare filters at hand because Murphy's law says that if we haven't got them we will certainly need them and we aren't prepared to challenge Murphy! By the time dawn came around we had probably managed a total of 4 hours sleep between us, today was going to be a catching up sort of day. The sky at dawn was a patchwork of various colours of grey (like the book Ð 50 shades!)not a touch of blue or sun to be found anywhere. The wind has continued to come from behind us and we have been struggling to keep it at less than 150 degrees so that we can keep sailing by changing our course heading frequently, this will only be possible for a while longer as we don't want to be too far off course by the time we are in sight of Nuku Hiva.

In the last 24 hours we have put another 129NM under the keel and we didn't run the engine in the 24 hours.
Vessel Name: Opal of Queensland
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 52AC
Hailing Port: Bundaberg
Crew: Nicky, Gerry and Priss
About: Motley mostly, especially the cat
Opal of Queensland's Photos - Main
10 Photos
Created 16 September 2021
25 Photos
Created 14 September 2021
55 Photos
Created 7 August 2021
28 Photos
Created 17 July 2021
69 Photos
Created 11 July 2021
41 Photos
Created 10 July 2021
33 Photos
Created 13 May 2021
49 Photos
Created 3 May 2021
59 Photos
Created 9 April 2021
34 Photos
Created 5 April 2021
9 Photos
Created 5 April 2021
68 Photos
Created 4 April 2021
21 Photos
Created 12 March 2021
26 Photos
Created 27 February 2021
plenty of broken bits and things to fix in Colombia
44 Photos
Created 25 February 2021
25 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
27 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
29 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
36 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
20 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
13 Photos
Created 5 December 2020
Wind indicator replacement
12 Photos
Created 24 November 2020
15 Photos
Created 3 November 2020
leaving Port Louis marina, travelling to Spice Island Marine yard and hauling out to do the anti fouling
60 Photos
Created 3 November 2020
10 Photos
Created 29 July 2020
20 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 5 July 2020
28 Photos
Created 26 June 2020
62 Photos
Created 20 June 2020
10 Photos
Created 4 June 2020
155 Photos
Created 4 December 2019
104 Photos
Created 4 December 2019
55 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 1 November 2019
The life and antics of Miss Priss aboard Opal
27 Photos
Created 1 November 2019

Who: Nicky, Gerry and Priss
Port: Bundaberg