22 October 2021 | 'S: 'E, Grand Chancellor Hotel, Brisbane
15 October 2021 | 27 26.662'S:153 06.434'E, River gate marina, Brisbane
12 October 2021 | 26 18.073'S:156 00.246'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
11 October 2021 | 25 41.635'S:158 24.609'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
10 October 2021 | 25 03.764'S:160 40.921'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
09 October 2021 | 24 16.537'S:163 21.449'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
08 October 2021 | 23 23.005'S:166 09.112'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
07 October 2021 | 22 12.270'S:168 20.490'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
06 October 2021 | 21 00.046'S:169 58.439'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
05 October 2021 | 19 49.684'S:171 35.302'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
04 October 2021 | 18 37.463'S:173 06.679'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
03 October 2021 | 18 11.767'S:175 05.347'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
02 October 2021 | 17 46.369'S:177 22.935'E, Port Denarau marina , Fiji
18 September 2021 | 17 46.369'S:177 22.935'E, Port Denarau marina , Fiji
16 September 2021 | 17 46.369'S:177 22.935'E, Denarau, Fiji
15 September 2021 | 17 46.369'S:177 22.935'E, Denarau, Fiji
14 September 2021 | 17 44.915'S:177 22.373'E, Denarau, Fiji
13 September 2021 | 17 44.915'S:177 22.373'E, Quarantine anchorage, Denarau, Fiji
11 September 2021 | 17 14.384'S:178 18.007'E, At Sea to Fiji
10 September 2021 | 17 32.600'S:179 35.350'W, At Sea to Fiji

Market time for me, Hardware store for Gerry!

07 August 2021 | 17 32.383'S:149 34.232'W, Papeete Marina, Tahiti, French Polynesia
6th August

17 32.383 S
149 34.232 W

Weather; sunny, wind n/a, waves n/a

We woke up to another delightfully sunny day, having slept well considering that there is no air conditioner keeping us cool and there really isn't too much in the way of breeze coming in the hatches as we are surrounded by other tall boats on all sides. The morning was spent doing things slowly, we were in no hurry and we were expecting the fuel polishing guy to turn up at some time today, there was no time given so it could be any time and would hopefully be before lunchtime! Gerry spent the morning taking out the brush from the water maker and removing the anchor roller so he could take both parts with him to the chandlers / hardware store to see what he could find for each. He also did something to the windlass, I'm really not sure what but I think it was to do with tightening it down, I'll have to check on that one! I spent the morning updating the blog and transferring and labelling photos from the camera to the external hard drive. The guy turned up at around 10am and a brief discussion followed as to what we needed and if he could do it. The short answer was yes but there was a bit of an issue when we said we were only likely to be here for 2 weeks as he was fully booked out, unless he could come and do the job tomorrow morning - this wasn't a problem for us so we then talked money, came to an arrangement and off he went. It was now time for us to get moving and see what we could achieve for the rest of the day. By the time we locked up, got off the boat, spoke to our neighbours and headed out of the marina it was close to the start of lunch hour so we took ourselves to the closest cafŽe where we ordered lunch. I think the waiter was a bit upset that we only wanted a sandwich each as the French tend to eat their main meal at lunchtime, Gerry got his arm twisted ( not that it took much) to have fries with his sandwich and I had a small salad to go with mine. Once we had finished lunch we decided to part ways and do our own thing for a while as the walk to the hardware store was quite a distance and I would just be bored stupid anyway and Gerry really didn't want to do the municipal markets, I can't imagine why! Anyway I set off in one direction and he went in the other. I took note of all the places we might need to visit for various reasons, like the chocolatier, bakery, sandwich shop etc. as I went past them. The municipal markets were only 2 blocks along and one block up from the cafeŽ where we had lunch but somehow I managed to get lost along the way and spent the best part of the next hour wandering around the various streets, it was no great failure as I now know where to find most things around the port area and it became more interesting as I walked down streets that we wouldn't normally have bothered going down because there is a culture of street art here which is hidden in the back streets. The paintings had me totally fascinated as they take up the entire sides of a building and are mostly paintings of faces. Luckily I had the camera with me and took photos as I went, I am left wondering how the artist managed to do some of the work as the buildings would have required scaffolding for them to reach the top, they are certainly worth having gotten lost to see. I got to see and go inside the Cathedral in my wanderings, it's certainly not as grand as some that I have been in but it was a lovely cool place to sit and contemplate life for a while. I did eventually stumble back across the undercover, municipal market, making my way through the produce section first to scout out what was available and there were heaps of great looking vegetables, fruit, meats, fish and some bakery goods all at good competitive prices. I didn't need to buy anything today so I just continued on through to the "tourist crap" area where the local arts and crafts, pearls and sarongs are sold - this as my prime reason for coming to the market as I had bought sarongs here 14 years ago and they were only now beginning to fall apart and needed replacing after daily use for the 14 years. There were all sorts of different fabrics, patterns and sizes available this time and I looked exclusively for ones similar to what I had bought last time knowing they had lasted so well. Most of the stalls had the same prices and the competition is pretty fierce to get your custom - something I hate, but I managed to find some that I wanted to purchase and spent my allowance for the day. The disappointing thing is that the sarongs I bought last time around were designed and made here in Tahiti, this time every single one was designed here but manufactured in Indonesia Ð there was no getting away from it, we might as have gone to Bali for them! Having made my purchases I was ready to go home and headed towards the water front, which was the way I should have come to the markets in the first place. I walked past the stalls on the outside of the market hall which comprised mostly of women making the traditional head dresses that the women wear here and a few were making leis, as I walked past one particular stall there was the smell that had wafted at us last night on our way to the food vans. As the lady wasn't busy I stopped to ask her what the flowers were that she was using, it turns out that they are Tiare, a relative of the Gardenia family, they are the national flower of Polynesia and not grown many other places. The lady gave me 3 of the buds to take away and whilst I thought walking past them at night was pleasant I'm not so sure I like the scent of them after a longer period of having them in close quarters, they remind me a little of my reaction to the smell of Tuberoses which give me a headache after a short period of concentrated scent but at least I now know what the pleasant wafting on the breeze is due to. I managed to make it back to the boat with no further issues or getting lost on the way but I was damn tired and in need of a cold drink. I thought that I was going to be the first one back but Gerry was already on board, he had done his thing and been partially successful having found hose to replace the fuel hoses and a maintenance kit for the electric head. He had also checked out the possibility of a hire car, none currently available but phone in on a daily basis to see if any have been returned. He hadn't got as far as the machine shop to see if they could machine a groove into the anchor roller as it was in a totally different direction, but he knows where the best place to go is located after asking at the hardware store. On his way back he had stopped at the market to see if he could find me but obviously this didn't happen, we missed each other somehow. After a recovery drink of cold water I did nothing whilst watching Gerry take the electric head motor apart, clean it up and install new parts. When it came to time to put it back in place there were more than a few salty sailor words being thrown around as there was toilet water leaking out of somewhere, I got yelled at to help clean up the water as he panicked over where the leak was coming from. More sealer was applied and left overnight to cure, only time will tell if the fix is a good one or not.
By the time we got everything cleared away it was heading towards dinner time, if a little on the early side. We took a slow stroll to the food vans once again and opted for a Chinese meal of which there was far too much, I left about a third of mine whilst Gerry struggled valiantly to finish his. We had to stop on the way home for a magnum ice cream, sadly still not the Lorie special but we take what we can get!
Tomorrow we will see about what the next item on the list is, after the fuel polishing guy is finished. I suspect it will be the changing out of the fuel hoses but let's just wait and see.
Vessel Name: Opal of Queensland
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 52AC
Hailing Port: Bundaberg
Crew: Nicky, Gerry and Priss
About: Motley mostly, especially the cat
Opal of Queensland's Photos - Main
30 Photos
Created 22 October 2021
10 Photos
Created 16 September 2021
25 Photos
Created 14 September 2021
57 Photos
Created 7 August 2021
44 Photos
Created 17 July 2021
69 Photos
Created 11 July 2021
41 Photos
Created 10 July 2021
33 Photos
Created 13 May 2021
49 Photos
Created 3 May 2021
59 Photos
Created 9 April 2021
34 Photos
Created 5 April 2021
9 Photos
Created 5 April 2021
68 Photos
Created 4 April 2021
21 Photos
Created 12 March 2021
26 Photos
Created 27 February 2021
plenty of broken bits and things to fix in Colombia
44 Photos
Created 25 February 2021
25 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
27 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
29 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
36 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
20 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
13 Photos
Created 5 December 2020
Wind indicator replacement
12 Photos
Created 24 November 2020
15 Photos
Created 3 November 2020
leaving Port Louis marina, travelling to Spice Island Marine yard and hauling out to do the anti fouling
60 Photos
Created 3 November 2020
10 Photos
Created 29 July 2020
20 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 5 July 2020
28 Photos
Created 26 June 2020
62 Photos
Created 20 June 2020
10 Photos
Created 4 June 2020
155 Photos
Created 4 December 2019
104 Photos
Created 4 December 2019
55 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 1 November 2019
The life and antics of Miss Priss aboard Opal
27 Photos
Created 1 November 2019

Who: Nicky, Gerry and Priss
Port: Bundaberg