22 October 2021 | 'S: 'E, Grand Chancellor Hotel, Brisbane
15 October 2021 | 27 26.662'S:153 06.434'E, River gate marina, Brisbane
12 October 2021 | 26 18.073'S:156 00.246'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
11 October 2021 | 25 41.635'S:158 24.609'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
10 October 2021 | 25 03.764'S:160 40.921'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
09 October 2021 | 24 16.537'S:163 21.449'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
08 October 2021 | 23 23.005'S:166 09.112'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
07 October 2021 | 22 12.270'S:168 20.490'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
06 October 2021 | 21 00.046'S:169 58.439'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
05 October 2021 | 19 49.684'S:171 35.302'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
04 October 2021 | 18 37.463'S:173 06.679'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
03 October 2021 | 18 11.767'S:175 05.347'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
02 October 2021 | 17 46.369'S:177 22.935'E, Port Denarau marina , Fiji
18 September 2021 | 17 46.369'S:177 22.935'E, Port Denarau marina , Fiji
16 September 2021 | 17 46.369'S:177 22.935'E, Denarau, Fiji
15 September 2021 | 17 46.369'S:177 22.935'E, Denarau, Fiji
14 September 2021 | 17 44.915'S:177 22.373'E, Denarau, Fiji
13 September 2021 | 17 44.915'S:177 22.373'E, Quarantine anchorage, Denarau, Fiji
11 September 2021 | 17 14.384'S:178 18.007'E, At Sea to Fiji
10 September 2021 | 17 32.600'S:179 35.350'W, At Sea to Fiji

Goodbye Tahiti, its been a blast!

28 August 2021 | 17 29.170'S:151 30.460'W, At Seato Fiji
28th August

17 29.170 S

151 30.460 W

Weather; sunny, wind 0-15 knots, waves 1metre

We finished filling up with fuel taking on 150 US gallons and motored around to the anchoring places near Tiana Marina, the place was full with not too much space for anyone else but as we only intended to stay for long enough to give the hull a quick scrub and scrape we didn't think we needed a huge amount of space so we picked a reasonably comfortable gap between a few boats and dropped our anchor in 45 feet of water. We were just clear enough of everything around us as long as there wasn't a big blow going through but we noticed the concerned looks and stares of the other owners who were in their cockpits, they must have watched us put our ladder over the side and Gerry dressed in snorkelling gear drop into the water and start scrubbing along the water line but the concerned stares continued. I stayed in the cockpit ready to take drastic action, should the need arise, all the while that Gerry was in the water. He worked his way around the boat with the scrubbing brush and
then came back for the scrapper to prise the barnacles off where he could. In the meantime it started to rain and a gusty wind blew us about a bit, we didn't get too close to any of the surrounding boats but you could feel the black looks we were getting for encroaching on their anchoring spot! Gerry finished with his bottom cleaning and climbed back on board, stowed the gear and had a shower and put some dry clothes on in no time, he was keen to get going but I insisted that we have a sandwich and drink before going anywhere. By the time we had finished our lunch the moment to set out had arrived, we had decided to leave through the main port entrance (where we had arrived) rather than the southern entrance which was our neighbour's preferred choice Ð we were going on slightly different tracts anyway and each of us had our reasons for our choice. At around 3.20pm we hauled our anchor up, even in the brief time we had it down it had gotten covered in thick gooey gunk, the ho
lding here was obviously good. We motored through the fleet of concerned boat owners and headed towards the fairway. Leaving via the main port entrance meant that we had to make our way back almost to Papeete Marina which took us past both ends of the airport runway. As you approach the airport there are warning boards that you must get clearance from the airport control to cross the ends of the runway, Gerry radioed the authority and asked for permission just as we saw a small plane on its way into land, we were told that we had to wait for 4 minutes as there were 2 planes coming in to land so we did a few circles and patiently waited the 4 minutes, seeing the second plane come in and began our transit through the area. We had just cleared the end of the runway when we noticed another plane on its descent, playing chicken with small planes wasn't on the agenda, it would certainly have made an interesting story if it had ended up on top of our masthead! Luckily we were well
clear of the runway so no harm, no foul. A short distance further and we had to repeat the radio call for permission to cross the other end of the runway and were given instant clearance just as a larger plane took off at that end. We had no sooner cleared the runway than an official looking motor boat sped up beside us with "Capitaine" emblazoned along the sides and Gerry handed the helm over to me whilst he spoke to the officials who wanted to know where we were going and if we had clearance to do so (remember we were under lock down and there was no movement allowed for anything on the water unless you had permission and clearance paperwork). Gerry answered the questions and surprisingly wasn't asked to produce the proof, they just waved us off wishing us a safe trip! We were now almost at the port entrance so we turned into wind to raise our main sail, just as the ferry that runs between Papeete and Moorea left the dock putting out a huge wake. We got the sail up quickly
and turned back to follow the ferry out, calling the port authority for the final time to let them know that we were leaving and our next destination, again we were wished a safe trip and a "we'll see you next time" Ð I don't think so! It had taken us an hour to get from the Anchorage at Marina Tiana to the port entrance. We headed off towards Moorea which was shrouded in cloud and did a quite respectable bit of sailing for the first 8 miles until we were in the lee of Moorea, at that point the wind died away to zero, the wind indicator was spinning in every direction imaginable, a bit like the mad hatter's watch in Alice in Wonderland. We had no choice but to start up the mechanical wind as we had a few miles of land mass to clear before we would hopefully pick up the wind once more. The sun set was quite pretty amongst the clouds but of course there was no green flash. We ate dinner and started the night watches with Gerry trying first for a catch up sleep, it didn't last
long as we suddenly got a wind blast and change of direction which meant having to do stuff with the sails, and for a while we could turn the engine off, it was fairly short lived though and due to a large rain squall that once it passed left us wallowing around once more Ð engine back on! The sea was flat with a strange long interval corkscrew sort of motion, not the best but at least we weren't being thrown around the place. As the night wore on the wind came and went, mostly went, we had very light and fickle winds which came from every direction at any particular moment, it wasn't good sailing with the sails flapping and crashing all over the place and in the end we furled away the jib and staysail and motor sailed for most of the night. The sea flattened out even more as the night wore on and it would have been a lovely ride if only there had been some wind and no engine noise! We did both manage to get some sleep though which was good for the first night out. Dawn ar
rived and it turned into a spectacular day on the water, nice and calm but we all know that calm water means there is no wind, so for most of the day today we have continued to motor sail, not doing any great speeds as we want to preserve what we can in the way of fuel and baby the engine along. All of our fixed stuff is working well as I type (fingers toes and eyes crossed!) George is doing a sterling job of driving and deserves all the praise for his unending attention to duty! We have put the spinnaker pole out ready for the predicted wind change which is due to arrive tonight and we expect to be having to wing and wing it. So our first 24 hours from anchor up has been a bit on the lean side, we only covered 116 NM of which 17 hours was under mechanical wind, at this rate it will take us forever to get to Fiji but at least we are on our way!
Vessel Name: Opal of Queensland
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 52AC
Hailing Port: Bundaberg
Crew: Nicky, Gerry and Priss
About: Motley mostly, especially the cat
Opal of Queensland's Photos - Main
30 Photos
Created 22 October 2021
10 Photos
Created 16 September 2021
25 Photos
Created 14 September 2021
57 Photos
Created 7 August 2021
44 Photos
Created 17 July 2021
69 Photos
Created 11 July 2021
41 Photos
Created 10 July 2021
33 Photos
Created 13 May 2021
49 Photos
Created 3 May 2021
59 Photos
Created 9 April 2021
34 Photos
Created 5 April 2021
9 Photos
Created 5 April 2021
68 Photos
Created 4 April 2021
21 Photos
Created 12 March 2021
26 Photos
Created 27 February 2021
plenty of broken bits and things to fix in Colombia
44 Photos
Created 25 February 2021
25 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
27 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
29 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
36 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
20 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
13 Photos
Created 5 December 2020
Wind indicator replacement
12 Photos
Created 24 November 2020
15 Photos
Created 3 November 2020
leaving Port Louis marina, travelling to Spice Island Marine yard and hauling out to do the anti fouling
60 Photos
Created 3 November 2020
10 Photos
Created 29 July 2020
20 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 5 July 2020
28 Photos
Created 26 June 2020
62 Photos
Created 20 June 2020
10 Photos
Created 4 June 2020
155 Photos
Created 4 December 2019
104 Photos
Created 4 December 2019
55 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 1 November 2019
The life and antics of Miss Priss aboard Opal
27 Photos
Created 1 November 2019

Who: Nicky, Gerry and Priss
Port: Bundaberg