22 October 2021 | 'S: 'E, Grand Chancellor Hotel, Brisbane
15 October 2021 | 27 26.662'S:153 06.434'E, River gate marina, Brisbane
12 October 2021 | 26 18.073'S:156 00.246'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
11 October 2021 | 25 41.635'S:158 24.609'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
10 October 2021 | 25 03.764'S:160 40.921'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
09 October 2021 | 24 16.537'S:163 21.449'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
08 October 2021 | 23 23.005'S:166 09.112'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
07 October 2021 | 22 12.270'S:168 20.490'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
06 October 2021 | 21 00.046'S:169 58.439'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
05 October 2021 | 19 49.684'S:171 35.302'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
04 October 2021 | 18 37.463'S:173 06.679'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
03 October 2021 | 18 11.767'S:175 05.347'E, At sea from Fiji to Brisbane
02 October 2021 | 17 46.369'S:177 22.935'E, Port Denarau marina , Fiji
18 September 2021 | 17 46.369'S:177 22.935'E, Port Denarau marina , Fiji
16 September 2021 | 17 46.369'S:177 22.935'E, Denarau, Fiji
15 September 2021 | 17 46.369'S:177 22.935'E, Denarau, Fiji
14 September 2021 | 17 44.915'S:177 22.373'E, Denarau, Fiji
13 September 2021 | 17 44.915'S:177 22.373'E, Quarantine anchorage, Denarau, Fiji
11 September 2021 | 17 14.384'S:178 18.007'E, At Sea to Fiji
10 September 2021 | 17 32.600'S:179 35.350'W, At Sea to Fiji

Another day gone with noting to show for it

30 August 2021 | 17 45.550'S:155 52.625'W, At Sea to Fiji
30th August

17 45.550 S

155 52.625 W

Weather; sunny with a few late showers, wind 5-15 knots, waves up to 2 metres

There's another 24 hours that we won't see again! We are still at sea, the boat hasn't dis masted because of one broken shroud chain plate much to Gerry's relief and there has been a whole lot of nothing happening. The wind has continued to play silly games, changing direction with such frequency that we can't keep up with which way it is coming from at any particular moment and that makes it very difficult to sail effectively. There is also a distinct lack of useable wind, most of the time we are seeing less than 8 knots which doesn't push us along so we have had to continue with the use of the engine to maintain some sort of time frame for arriving into Fiji. The good news is that the sea is still relatively calm and we aren't being thrown all over the place although I have still managed to add a couple more bruises to my collection. After our temporary "fixing" of the broken shroud yesterday Gerry worried all night long that something else would go wrong and made it hard o
n himself to get any sleep, catching a few quick zzz's in the cockpit when no one was looking but refusing to go below and try to get a couple of hours in, he's made up for it during the day today somewhat. At least with our slower sailing there is little more damage that we can do and I'm sure that the other 7 or so shrouds will hold the mast safely until we get to that exotic place where we can fix stuff properly! The night passed uneventfully with a lovely sunset, no green flash of course, followed by a million stars twinkling in a partially moon lit sky. We saw nothing on or in the water, it really is quite sobering to know that we are the only ones out here for as far as the eye and radar can see. Gerry did have a quick look to see if there was anywhere before Fiji that we could pull into to try and get our little issue sorted out but there really is nowhere. There are a heap of small almost uninhabited islands and atolls along the way but none of them would have the a
bility to fix a new chain plate so it's not going to happen. The closest we could find that might have the gear would be the Cook Islands but they are closed to all marine traffic so we can't even consider that as a possibility Ð Fiji it is! Dawn arrived far too soon and was a bit overcast to begin with, this cleared up and we were enjoying another lovely sunny day until about half an hour ago when it began to rain in bucket loads. At the start of the day Gerry told me that the wind was going to be changing direction slightly for the remainder of our trip and we were going to have to move the preventer to the other side, gybe the main across and then furl away the jib, move the spinnaker pole to the other side and redeploy the jib on that side. There is no time like when you have barely got your eyes open, need something to eat and a wake up cup of coffee to be forced into action! So we set about doing the changes and by 8.30 we were now on a starboard tack with the wind t
rying to decide if it really wanted to come from the starboard side or not as it continued to flip across the stern of the boat from one side to the other with no apparent care in the world that it was upsetting us and our sailing ability! Eventually around mid - morning it settled more or less as predicted (how unusual the forecaster got it right for once!) and we had just enough wind to be able to turn the engine off and sail, how peaceful and quiet it was, but of course it was short enough lived and we were back to motor sailing by mid - afternoon. Gerry vanished for a while and was working on getting the larger end of the chain plate removed from inside the boat. I didn't envy him that job as it is located inside the forward head, in a small cupboard behind the toilet where we store the spare toilet rolls (only 4 left Lorie, how will we cope?) to say that the space is awkward is an understatement and of course the tools are never the right ones for such a fiddly job. In
the end he managed to get all but one bolt undone, the final one is so difficult to get at that he gave up for the day to have a think on how to go about getting it out. I put the fishing line in the water but we've had not a single bite today so still not having fish for dinner, it's a good job we are still provisioned enough for WW 3 to break out, I'm pretty sure we will be taking stuff off of the boat when we finally get to Australia, but hopefully not too much, and it certainly won't be chocolate!.

So the tally for the day was 128 NM, still not what we would like to be doing but at least it's gone up! Surprisingly (unless Gerry has read it wrong) we only added 7 engine hours. The rain is still coming down as I type and we continue to motor sail as the wind has disappeared completely, hopefully not for the entire night, only time will tell.
Vessel Name: Opal of Queensland
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 52AC
Hailing Port: Bundaberg
Crew: Nicky, Gerry and Priss
About: Motley mostly, especially the cat
Opal of Queensland's Photos - Main
30 Photos
Created 22 October 2021
10 Photos
Created 16 September 2021
25 Photos
Created 14 September 2021
57 Photos
Created 7 August 2021
44 Photos
Created 17 July 2021
69 Photos
Created 11 July 2021
41 Photos
Created 10 July 2021
33 Photos
Created 13 May 2021
49 Photos
Created 3 May 2021
59 Photos
Created 9 April 2021
34 Photos
Created 5 April 2021
9 Photos
Created 5 April 2021
68 Photos
Created 4 April 2021
21 Photos
Created 12 March 2021
26 Photos
Created 27 February 2021
plenty of broken bits and things to fix in Colombia
44 Photos
Created 25 February 2021
25 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
27 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
29 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
36 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
20 Photos
Created 13 February 2021
13 Photos
Created 5 December 2020
Wind indicator replacement
12 Photos
Created 24 November 2020
15 Photos
Created 3 November 2020
leaving Port Louis marina, travelling to Spice Island Marine yard and hauling out to do the anti fouling
60 Photos
Created 3 November 2020
10 Photos
Created 29 July 2020
20 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 5 July 2020
28 Photos
Created 26 June 2020
62 Photos
Created 20 June 2020
10 Photos
Created 4 June 2020
155 Photos
Created 4 December 2019
104 Photos
Created 4 December 2019
55 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 1 November 2019
The life and antics of Miss Priss aboard Opal
27 Photos
Created 1 November 2019

Who: Nicky, Gerry and Priss
Port: Bundaberg