Open50 Nanuq

10 September 2011
20 April 2008
20 April 2008
11 February 2008 | MDR
11 February 2008 | MDR
30 January 2008 | MDR
23 January 2008 | MDR
20 January 2008 | MDR
20 January 2008 | MDR
13 January 2008 | MDR
28 December 2007 | CYC
16 December 2007 | MDR
08 December 2007 | MDR
06 December 2007 | MDR
06 December 2007
06 December 2007
06 December 2007
06 December 2007
02 December 2007 | MDR

Francis the giant

11 February 2008 | MDR
Troy
Tepee a mix of old Formula 40 parts

For all you guys out there reading our blog but not in touch with what is going on in the top end of the sailing game ,a certain French sailor has just recorded a record nonstop sail around the world. Francis Joyon is a very dear friend of mine and one of the most awesome sailors I have ever met .This man is old school , he is so involved with what he does that he knows every inch of his boats and how to fix them .When all the other racers have a dock and crew getting the boat ready for a race , Francis is out on a mooring doing everything himself .He is a gentle giant , softly spoken and very accommodating ,but has this look in his eyes that say something ,what I have not been able to figure out .For fun Francis would climb aboard his catamaran Tepee and sail to the Caribbean from France . He built the boat from bits he picked up in boatyards left over from the old Formula 40 class .
He also won the prestigious transatlantic Ostar on a boat that was also bits from different boats .When he gave up his sponsorship with Banque Populaire to follow his longing to ocean race ,the sponsorship went to Lalou Roucayrol who managed to get the sponsors to build a new boat and sell the old one to Francis .Francis got the boat minus the rig and sails ,but managed to get a mast and some sails from Florence Artaud's old boat and put the whole lot together to go out and win the Ostar when a lot of the other boats where going upside down or breaking apart .
Francis then managed to get the old Sport Elec trimaran and went about doing some mods to be able to sail the monster single handed .He accomplished the mods and with a little known sponsor went off around the world to break the non stop single handed record, but fate had him pegged and after achieving the impossible ,by sailing a boat designed for crew non stop he decided to slow down his progress back to his home port to be able to arrive in daylight .Fate collected as Francis woke hearing a loud bang and found himself pinned between rocks .
The boat was a total loss in a matter of hours and this after the amazing high of setting a record time around the world .To top this , Ellen MacArthur went and broke the record soon after .
Just when everybody thought it was all over , Francis's sponsor stepped up and a new purpose built boat was on the way .The new boat was from another planet , slick,lean and with one purpose ,to break records .
Francis was off again , a well deserved break for a man who never asked for anything .Everything came together ,from the designers,to the builders , to the weather router, to the sponsors ,to the sailor and to the weather and the sailing gods where smiling as well .Francis completed another record breaker to the congratulations of the whole sailing community and probably everybody in France .
Well done Francis , this was a long time coming and never more well deserved .And thank you to Idec and ICM for believing in this awesome person.
Comments
Vessel Name: Nanuq
Vessel Make/Model: Lyons Open 50
Hailing Port: MDR
Crew: Troy , Marina , Nina
About: Troy is a professional sailor and project manager Marina is a commercial pilot and professional mother Nina is a 23 month old rowdy girl and professional taskmaster
Extra:
Nanuq started life in 1994 as Newcastle Australia , the dreams of Alan Nebauer and designer David Lyons . After a successful 94 BOC she was sold to Brad van Liew to be sailed again as Balance Bar in 97 after which she changed hands again to Team Pegasus owner Phillipe Kahn as a test bed for a [...]

The Crew

Who: Troy , Marina , Nina
Port: MDR