Options

17 October 2012 | North Carolina
16 October 2012 | Near Elizabeth City, North Carolina
12 October 2012 | Dismal Swamp, VA-NC
07 October 2012 | Baltimore to Portsmouth, VA
29 August 2012 | Ptown to Edgartown
14 August 2012 | Portland, Maine
13 August 2012 | Freeport, Maine
09 August 2012 | Baltimore to Portsmouth, NH
05 July 2012
07 May 2012 | Cape Hatteras to Norfolk
04 May 2012 | East of Georgia?
03 May 2012 | Stuart, FL
06 January 2012
27 August 2011 | BWI Airport
21 August 2011 | Now in Delaware City
20 August 2011 | Long Island Sound
13 August 2011 | Newport to Cuttyhunk to Vineyard Haven
13 August 2011 | BI, RI
07 August 2011 | Vineyard Haven, Martha's Vineyard

Atlantic City, August 12

21 August 2011 | Now in Delaware City
David with Brooke
Obviously, we're running a little behind on our blog posts...

On Friday, for the third morning in a row, we were up early and underway before the sun rose. Brooke snapped some good pictures of the Statue of Liberty glinting with the first rays of the sun. There were only a few ships to dodge as we made our way under the Verrazano Bridge and out past Sandy Hook. We had our second near run-in with a big fishing charter boat. They had the whole ocean to work with, but they set their sights on Options and came charging at us. This time I veered just enough to avoid a collision and then turned into them as they were passing, coming with 50 ft. of the stupid boat.

The forecast for Friday was good, but the wind and waves were projected to turn against us on Saturday, so we decided to make Friday a long day. Instead of shooting for Barnegat Inlet, the half-way point to Cape May, we set our course for Little Egg Inlet, another 15-20 miles down the coast. That would give us a good chance of beating the bad weather to Cape May on Saturday. Along the way to Little Egg, we picked up some useful wind. We wound up motorsailing with both engines and the main and jib sails for several hours, averaging our top speed of 8 knots! We were hoping to make it into Little Egg by 6 or 7 pm, but with our unexpected extra speed, we were well ahead of schedule.

We reassessed and realized we could make it into Atlantic City. I called ahead and was able to get us a spot at the end of the longest dock we’ve ever tied up to. Walking down the dock felt like that scene from “Monty Python and the Holy Grail”. It seemed to stretch out forever and we never got any closer to the end where the bathroom was! The dock was part of Farley State Marina (named after either Chris Farley—my preference—or Senator Frank Farley) with 640 slips, thereby making it the largest marina we’ve seen. We were one of only about a half dozen sailboats surrounded by hundreds of power boats.

Brooke hadn’t been to Atlantic City since she was a little girl and I had never been. We took a taxi and did the obligatory walk up and down the boardwalk. It was full of all kinds of nasty little shops, arcades, and parlors of all sorts: pizza, tattoo and massage, among them. In the words of Bette Davis, “What a dump!” We kept on walking until we found some outdoor dining at the far end of the boardwalk away from all the nasties. The food at House of Blues was OK but the live music (a singer/guitarist with a bongo buddy) was great!

Saturday we decided to luxuriate and reward ourselves by sleeping in past 7 am. It felt great to finally get a full eight hours of sleep!

As I write this, Cape May lies somewhere over the horizon. I will be there for a week. Brooke will abscond to St. Louis for a few days with family. After that, we will complete our trek to Baltimore.

David with Brooke

P.S. The picture is of Atlantic City as we left the next morning. The tall tower under construction on the right hand side will be the second tallest building in New Jersey. Our marina in Jersey City was in the shadow of the tallest--the Goldman Sachs tower.
Comments
Vessel Name: Options
Vessel Make/Model: Admiral 40
Hailing Port: St. Louis, MO
Crew: David and Brooke Atkinson
About: David and Brooke reside in St. Louis and enjoy sailing (duh!), music, history and traveling. Brooke is a wonderful cook and David is an adequate guitarist. They signed up for an Admiral 38 in 2005. By waiting until 2008 for delivery, they were upgraded to the new Admiral 40.
Extra:
In May 2008, the Atkinsons journeyed to Cape Town, South Africa to work with Admiral Yachts on the finishing touches for Options. David returned in August to sail the completed boat back to North America. Options has been in Florida since October, 2008 and will head for the Bahamas and Caribbean [...]

Options - SA to Carib

Who: David and Brooke Atkinson
Port: St. Louis, MO