Adventures of Orcinius

11 September 2015 | HOME - Vancouver WA
24 August 2015 | 46 11.4'N:123 51.4'W, Port of Astoria Marina
22 August 2015 | 46 42.0'N:132 09,4'W, 330 West of CR Bouy, Astoria
21 August 2015 | 46 41.8'N:136 13.8'W, 500 West of Astoria
20 August 2015 | 46 22.82'N:140 28.00'W, East end of High
20 August 2015 | 46 22.80'N:140 28.32'W, Middle of High Same as Fish
20 August 2015 | 46 22.79'N:140 28.57'W, Middle of High
20 August 2015 | 46 22.7'N:140 30.2'W, 675 Miles West of CR
20 August 2015 | 45 57.6'N:144 54.0'W, East End of the High
18 August 2015 | 44 38.2'N:147 57.0'W, 1000 NM to Astoria
18 August 2015 | 43 31.0'N:150 28.0'W, 1126 NM to Astoria
17 August 2015 | 41 40.1'N:153 00.1'W, 1200 miles West of Astoria
16 August 2015 | 39 30.1'N:154 53.1'W, West end of the North Pacific High
15 August 2015 | 37 34.5'N:156 00.0'W, 1011 North of Oahu
15 August 2015 | 37 04.5'N:156 23.0'W, 983 North of Oahu
14 August 2015 | 34 12.3'N:157 26.1'W, 800 North of Oahu
13 August 2015 | 31 50.0'N:158 06.5'W, 650 North of Oahu
12 August 2015 | 29 02.0'N:158 51.0'W, 330 North of Oahu
11 August 2015 | 26 32.0'N:158 59.0'W, 330 North of Oahu
09 August 2015 | 23 44.1'N:158 49.4'W, 140 N of Oahu

Guests on Board

21 June 2014 | 19 8.95'S:178 34.00'W, Fulaga Southern Lau Group
John
Yep it has been a week since we posted anything. Been having some problems with my laptop while using the normal programs. I think it is focused on some of the interfaces but have no way of proving it.

Last week we attended church and then had lunch withour sponsor family before returning to the boat. Throughout the week we have made several trips into the village and the one beyond and each step these people have gone out of their way to make us feel right at home. So we try to return the favors.

One day I spent most of the day helping a couple of the men work on the small 1kw generator while Lisa was working with the village nurse providing some of our medical stores. That same day I reconnected their VHF radio up to the solar battery set for their HF radio so they could call ships coming in to deliver goods (once every 5-7 weeks). We spent an an afternoon at the school which is a complete disruption for the teachers but sometimes a nice diversion. After all the kids see us all walking through the village and probably want to know what is up.

On Wednesday, Joe our sponsor and Jasmine his sister in law (so to speak) took me out clamming. What a hoot. We were in 10-15 feet of water with mask and snorkel peering at the sand looking for a very small crack which is the clam slightly open. Joe points a couple out to me then makes a dive down and grabs five of them in one fell swoop. Ok I see how it is done so I finally get the pick and dive to the bottom, got one and let 4 get away, i.e. dig into the sand so as not to be seen. I send another 10 minutes trying to find the next one while Joe has filled up the front of his t-shirt with about 30 clams. These clams look similar to cocles but a little more elongated and about 4 inches long. We spend a total of 45 minutes swimming around snatching clams and taking them back ashore so Jasmine can crack them open. In that time I manage to grab 4 clams and lose 8 more while Joe made four trips to the beach dumping his loads of clams. Jasmine is dracking the clams open wit h a heavy piece of metal that is ell shaped and about 6 inches long. Probably something off of a wreck over the years. She cracks them open and then scrapes the clam out with her thumb nail and tosses the clam in a palm basket made (woven) by Joe in 10 minutes while waiting to leave from the beach. I leave them to their work for that is their families dinner and lunch fo next two days. They share about 12 cleaned clams with me and I say adoo.

That night I boil up some spuds, chop onions and clean and chop clams to make a clam chowder. That was a great dinner and lunch for us also.

Thursday we take a hike with most of the other cruisers up to the top of the highest peak on the island. The tour was led by Tye, a very nice short little Fijian. The day wasn't the best for taking pictures because it was overcast and rainy. After that we head into the village where the ladies of the village had made different foods, cakes and pudding (cake) along with some potato curry and pumpkin curry wrapped in roties. They made them to sell to the cruisers so they could have some money to help buy the school children sports clothes for playing soccer (football), rugby (football) etc. After the sale and meal what was left over they all ate while most of the cruisers took a hike up another hill with Tye to see the cave with human remains from ages ago. When they returned, we coaxed Lisa into playing a song on their guitar (out of tune). Took a struggle but once she got into it they really opened up to her singing. Then they sang and we did a little hip hop around t he community center.

We took Friday off so we could prepare for a baking class that some of the ladies wanted. Our focus was the things they have readily available. Bread and cookies. I showed them how to make leavened bread and crossaint rolls (not the real ones but the rolled up kind from bread dough), while lisa made banana oatmeal cookies. This is quite a challenge. Not to make the dough but to cook it. I intended for them to use their lovel (fire ovens or dutch ovens over the fire) but they decided for expediency they would use their propane fired gas kitchen range. It is over 8 years old and the thermocouple for the oven has quit which meant somehone had to hold the control knob in the whole time (2 hours). We all took turns. The village people make bread for feasts (14 dutch ovens full of 4-5 round loaves).. Their's is heavy bread because they don't seem to have the patience to wait for the dough to rise twice. Oh well ours turned out good and they were happy to have a much light er loaf. I had split the batch in half and made one round loaf and a dozen rolled crossaints. In between making the dough Lisa made a batch of oatmeal banana cookies and they were baking while my dough was rising.

When it was done, they ate everything. It is like if it is in front of them, eat it.

After the baking session, we had Joe, Tau, Jasmine, Sons Sam and Elisha over to the boat for pizza. I had made bread and pizza dough on Friday. I picked them up at the shore around 3:15pm and brought them aboard. While I was spreading out the dough, Lisa gave them a tour of the boat. As I was making the Pizzas, Lisa, Joe, Tau, Jasmine and the boys were making music. Tau had to take some time to re-tune the eukelele her way but after a slight cringe from Lisa music was being played. I finished cooking the Pizzas about 5 pm and we all sat outside and had four large pizzas. One hot pepperoni, two hawaiian and one vegetarian. They devoured all but a couple pieces which we sent home with them for grandma and we kept a couple for Batai the nurse.

We got the house and ourselves cleaned up by 7 pm and were exhaused. Put down one drink and we both fell off to sleep on the outside seats for an hour before heading for bed.

Today is another day in paradise and off to church we go, then lunch with our family and hopefully back on the boat by 1pm so we can move over to the next lagoon and the sandy beaches.

All for now.

John & Lisa
Comments
Vessel Name: ORCINIUS
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 440
Hailing Port: Vancouver, Washington
Crew: John LeDoux & Lisa Danger
About:
Sailing since the mid 90's. Prior to this trip, 4 sailing adventures from Vancouver WA to the San Juan and Gulf Islands in the Straits of Juan de Fuca. Bought ORCINIUS in West Palm Beach Fl in April 2010. Sailed her South through the Panama Canal and back up the West coast to home port. [...]
Extra: Lisa is the real captain. I have never been at the helm when docking or anchoring, she has a great touch to docking.
Home Page: www.orcinius.com

Who: John LeDoux & Lisa Danger
Port: Vancouver, Washington