Breaking Free

28 March 2015
20 March 2015
13 March 2015
12 March 2015
11 March 2015
09 March 2015 | Equator
17 February 2015 | Las Pearlas Isl.
17 February 2015 | Panama
01 February 2015 | Panama!
08 January 2015 | Shelter Bay Marina
19 June 2014 | Panam
28 April 2014
17 April 2014
17 April 2014 | Nasca
13 April 2014
06 April 2014 | Panama
28 March 2014
10 March 2014 | San Blas
05 March 2014 | San Blas Panama

Party Time

01 February 2015 | Panama!
Orlando
We arrived in Shelter Bay with a long list of boat projects we worked hard at, which is OK, as it is our nature to be goal orientated. That part of my nature is a large part of how I got to be here. Goals without plans are only dreams. But the two months in the marina wasn’t all work.
As a morning person my day usually starts around 0600, understandably I spend the next couple of hours on my own and then have breakfast with Dawn around 0800 then we get to our daily chore lists. I like to take an hour for lunch and have a nap so I am empowered for the afternoon; by 1600 or 1700 I am rather weary of work and ready for happy hour.
There are lots of social activities at this time. The marina pool is starting to clear of families readying for supper and the happy hour group start slipping in for refreshment with their and drinks and insulated beers.
At 1700 a marina bar/restaurant waiter walks the dock in front of the bar patio ringing a large hand bell to announced happy hour specials have started.
The showers get busy as people clean up after a day of humid sunny weather in the low 30’s and head off along the docks to join friends on boats for happy hour.
We usually meet with a group of cruisers gathering at tables on the main dock. Creative little snacks are brought by people whom have sailed from countries around the world. Germany, Bavaria, Norway, Sweden, Finland .France, Spain, Italy, South Africa, Croatia, Canada, USA, UK. Australia, and New Zealand are all represented. Sailing techniques aren’t often discussed as we all know that to get to this part of the world everyone here has great sailing skills. The pros and cons of boat designs aren’t often discussed as every type of boat is here and has been the choice of the person beside you. Places visited are of great interest as we are all thinking of going somewhere. The mates talk of receipes and women folk stuff and everyone talks of repairs. We all have projects on the go.
There isn’t an over proportionate group of Americans here, quite the contrary, but American Thanksgiving is a good reason for a social event. It was arranged with the restaurant to have a potluck dinner. The restaurant sold turkey plates and the boaters all brought an item the restaurant put out and served as well, great fun that went on for hours.
For Christmas our group decided on a movable feast. We gathered at one boat which served o’dervs, the next cooked a turkey that others brought vegetables and dressing to, and the last served desert.
New Year’s Eve is a big event everywhere. One of our group suggested a progressive party, it picked up momentum and we ended up six boats involved. Starting at 1900 there was talk of the party breaking up at 2130, just past cruiser’s midnight of 2100. At 1700 a dozen people crowded into our cockpit with drinks in hand. Each boat we progressed to had great munchies and as we changed boats we were seated next to someone different each time. I had been in Shelter Bay last New Year’s Eve and suggested we go to the ocean to see the display of fireworks. We walked the kilometer out to the breakwater of the Panama Canal harbor for midnight where about two dozen ships waiting to transit the Canal blew their whistles and shot flares. Fireworks exploded over the port city of Colon across the harbor for over half an hour. We stood as a small group of happy friends brought together by circumstance celebrating New Year’s Eve at the entrance to the Panama Canal knowing our friendships and memories of tonight would keep us tied together long after we sailed apart.
Comments
Vessel Name: NIRVANA NOW
Vessel Make/Model: S&S North Atlantic 42
Hailing Port: Sault Ste. Marie Ontario
Crew: Randy and Dawn Ortiz
About: Happy together and ready to break free!

Breaking free

Who: Randy and Dawn Ortiz
Port: Sault Ste. Marie Ontario