Cruising with Osprey

28 July 2011
27 July 2011
26 July 2011
25 July 2011
23 July 2011
17 July 2011
17 July 2011
16 July 2011
15 July 2011
14 July 2011
13 July 2011
08 July 2011

Tom almost comes to Maine....

16 November 2008
It was a bit of a frustrating weekend for Team Osprey. Osprey was hauled out last week - a process that went quite smoothly. Tom was pleased to report that the bottom looked good despite our grounding in the Bahamas and despite not having been hauled out for over 18 months. The next project was to get the boat shrink wrapped. Tom was able to persuade the boat wrapping crew to put us to the front of the queue as he would be leaving town as soon as it could be done. The wrapping was done, all looked good and I drove down to RI to pick Tom up. We made arrangements to spend Saturday night at a B & B in Newport as a treat. As I arrived in East Greenwich to meet Tom the heavens opened and there was a torrential downpour. It then became evident that too much water was getting through various gaps in the shrink-wrap and because of the way Osprey had been blocked (propped-up) the water couldn't drain off the decks so there was a huge puddle of standing water. We weren't very happy about the situation but kind of convinced ourselves it would be OK and headed off to Newport as planned. We had a lovely evening, enjoying a nice meal and a few drinks at one of the taverns near the B & B. During the night however, we found ourselves tossing and turning and generally fretting about our baby left to fend for herself at the boatyard. By the morning the decision was made to leave Tom behind to sort things out. So we drove back to East Greenwich, unloaded all Tom's stuff back onto Osprey and said good bye to each other once again. It was very hard driving back all by myself when I had been looking forward to having some company up here. Poor Tom will have a much harder time as he will be pretty much camping out on Osprey for the next 10 days. A boat on the hard is a very difficult place to live. Everything has been winterised so there is no water and no cooking facilities, pretty much all he can do is sleep aboard and it is going to get very cold this week. I have made him promise to find alternative living accommodations if it gets too grim. It will not take much to fix the situation with the shrink wrap and he will have the yard lift and re-block Osprey so that any water that does leak through will drain properly. Unfortunately, I will be working next weekend so I cannot go back down to get him. The plan will be to pick him up just before Thanksgiving and then we will be heading to CT to see Mike and Nancy (Tom's cousin). So once again we learn that all plans are made in Jello when it comes to anything to do with a boat. But we are much happier knowing that we will have done all we can to ensure that Osprey will be OK through the winter.
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Make/Model: Shannon38 #33
Hailing Port: East Greenwich, RI
Crew: Tom & Vicky Worosz
About: We have cruised to the Bahamas and back twice ad are now back on land for a while. This Summer (2012) we have outfitted ourseleves with motorcycles and are heading off for a month long "land cruise'

Who: Tom & Vicky Worosz
Port: East Greenwich, RI