Voyages North

11 July 2021 | Posted in Seattle
10 April 2020 | Posted in Seattle
30 August 2019 | Posted at Port MCNeill
13 August 2019 | Posted at Prince Rupert
03 August 2019 | Posted at Ketchikan
02 August 2019 | posted in Metlakatla AK
22 July 2019 | Posted at Klawock/Craig
09 July 2019 | Posted at Juneau
09 July 2019 | Posted at Juneau

Roscoe Inlet, July 21-22, 2010

29 July 2010
Photo: Roscoe Inlet fjord on a cloudy morning.

Our sunny weather has deserted us just when we want it for sightseeing up the winding fjord of Roscoe Inlet. We go anyway, raising the jib to let the wind push us up inlet as we sightsee. We see sheer black cliffs, rounded domes, sculpted rock walls and other evidence of glaciation. Bob Hale of the Waggoner Cruising Guide claims it's one of the most beautiful inlets in the Northwest. If you don't include Alaska in the northwest, I would agree.

Before leaving Shearwater, we had marked up our chart with the locations of some pictographs (Native rock paintings -- see my photo of the one at Karlukswee in an earlier blog) along the inlet. (Chuck and Margie had found the locations on the Campbell River Yacht Club website).As we sail up the inlet we keep our eyes out for the telltale ochre color. Once you know what to look for, it's easy to spot them. They always occur about 10 ft off the water on light colored cliffs. We find quite a few of them.

When we reach the top of the inlet, we drop the jib and motor back down, this time anchoring at Boukind Bay. It's raining lightly by the time we anchor.

The next morning the rain has turned to plain old clouds so we go ashore. There's a short isthmus at the top of Boukind Bay that leads to Briggs Inlet. We find a trail that's well marked but strewn with downed trees. We also find lots of large bear prints and some bear scat. In the middle of the isthmus we find a field of huckleberries, which may explain the bear prints. We pick a few berries but find they're sour, bitter and small so leave them for the bears.

We motor back to Shearwater and learn that our mail has still not arrived.

Comments
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Make/Model: Annapolis 44 sloop
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Steve and Elsie Hulsizer (author of Glaciers, Bears and Totems and Voyages to Windward)
About:
Elsie and Steve Hulsizer have sailed northwest waters since arriving in Seattle via sailboat from Boston in 1979. [...]
Extra:
2019 Seattle to SE Alaska 2018 San Juan Islands to Great Bear Rainforest 2017: local cruising including South Puget Sound and San Juan Islands 2016:north up West Coast VI, across QC Sound to central BC coast 2015: trip to SE Alaska 2014: Seymour and Belize Inlets through Nakwakto Rapids 2013: [...]
Osprey's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.