Voyages North

03 June 2018
22 September 2017 | Posted in Seattle
08 September 2017 | Posted at Spencer Spit, San Juan Islands
18 August 2017 | Posted at Spencer Spit, San Juan Islands
17 August 2017 | Olympia
22 August 2016 | posted at Prideaux Haven, Desolation Sound
29 July 2016 | Posted at Hakkai, Fitz Hugh Sound
29 July 2016 | Posted at Hakkai, Fitz Hugh Sound
29 July 2016 | Posted at Hakkai, Fitz Hugh Sound
08 July 2016 | Posted at Ucluelet

Shearwater to Pruth. August 18, 2011

24 August 2011 | posted at Shawl Bay
Elsie Hulsizer
Photo: Sunset over the Pacific Ocean from the beach at Hakai Recreational Area

Only a bit more wind was needed to make this day perfect. We woke to fog but by the time we had eaten breakfast at the restaurant at Shearwater it had turned to low clouds. At 10:30 we got underway, motoring around Denny Island south through Hunter Channel and Sans Peur Passage (love that name, ‘no fear’ passage), carried along by an ebb current. Once in Queens Sound we raised sail and sailed/drifted to Hakai Passage and then into Pruth Bay where we anchored off the Hakai Research Institute.

After dinner we walked across the isthmus to the ocean. When this property was owned by a fishing lodge, the path was muddy and the people unfriendly. Now the path is boardwalk and the whole place has a feeling of peace to it with signs welcoming us and pointing to the trail. A group of Parks volunteers were sitting on logs around a campfire and we joined them to watch the sky turn peak over the ocean. When we got back to the anchorage, the wind had died to nothing and there was just the faint glimmer of light in the sky but we could clearly see the boats in the anchorage with their anchor lights reflected in the water below.

It was so peaceful, I longed to stay for another day and walk on the beach, but it was not to be. The weather forecast warned of a deepening low off the coast and subsequent strong southerly winds. If we stayed at Pruth Bay, we could be trapped north of Cape Caution waiting for a change in the weather. Normally we would take two days from Pruth to get around Cape Caution, one day to Millbrook Cove in Rivers Inlet and a second day to round the Cape and get to Skull Cove. But with the bad weather coming, not only could we not stay at Pruth an extra day, we were going to have a long day all the way to Skull Cove.
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Make/Model: Annapolis 44 sloop
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Steve and Elsie Hulsizer (author of Glaciers, Bears and Totems and Voyages to Windward)
Elsie and Steve Hulsizer have sailed northwest waters since arriving in Seattle via sailboat from Boston in 1979. [...]
2017: local cruising including South Puget Sound and San Juan Islands 2016:north up West Coast VI, across QC Sound to central BC coast 2015: trip to SE Alaska 2014: Seymour and Belize Inlets through Nakwakto Rapids 2013: SE Alaska and back. 2012: from Seattle up the west coast of Vancouver [...]
Gallery Error: Unknown Album [1:]:2696
Osprey's Photos -